News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
Shrawan

Kiran Bedi as CIC

Is the movement by Anna Hazare, Aamir Khan to bring Kiran Bedi as CIC justified?  

1,431 members have voted

1. 1. Is the movement by Anna Hazare, Aamir Khan to bring Kiran Bedi as CIC justified?

• Yes
    • No

sngupta

No dobout Kiran Bedi was good police officer but her devotion with RTI is no where proved.

• Like 1

Prem Garg

She need not establish and proove devotion. She is capable enough to handle this kind of assignment.

• Like 2

samaritan

A person is judged on his or her past performance. In that respect Kiran Bedi undoubtedly stands as the only capable option for the post of CCIC RTI.

• Like 2

sidmis

Sorry to barge in. Ms. Kiran Bedi has impeccable credentials. At least this is what Anna Hazare/Amir Khan et. al. say about her.

In spite of that she still remains an ex-babu. An IPS officer to the core. The other IPS currently in the CIC Panel M.L. SHARMA is the worst performing IC as declared in a recent poll by Arvind Kejriwal. My worst fear is that if she emulates IC SHARMA the CIC shall be doomed.

I stand for a Non-babu this time. Let there be a panel of eminent persons and the best one go to head the CIC. Cherry picking someone will not be a good thing to do this time. It will set another bad precedent.

• Like 4

digitalit

Past performance of information commissioner

Shailesh Gandhi is Best.

He is capable to lead as CIC Chief.

• Like 5

jps50

It is not only experience or knowledge but what counts is attitude. If attitude is pro-citizen and pro-democracy, every thing else will fall in line. Kiran Bedi is the best choice at present. We can have more choices if post is advertised.

• Like 6

sidmis

> 
[i][b][color=dimgray]Kiran Bedi is the best choice at present.[/color][/b][/i]

Do we have any choice there ?

BTW Ms. Bedi was persona non grata in UPA I. Let's see if there's a change of heart in UPA II. :mad:

R Madhok

We strongly recommend Kiran Bedi to hold top RTI post.

Social Activist Anna Hazare and other eminent people who have written to the Prime Minister proposing the name of Kiran bedi, India’s First woman IPS officer, for the job of Chief Central information Commissioner is a right step in right decision making activity. Magsaysay award winner Mr. Arvind Kejriwal is also supporting for the right cause.

We RTI activists request Mr. Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi with core of my heart that Mrs. Bedi be appointed CCIC as she has the best credentials to be the person who will be demanding transparency in governance on behalf of the people of India. In my opinion Mrs. Kiran Bedi is the best suitable person for the post.

Mr. Aamir Khan, Mr. Subhash Chandra of Zee group has also supported the candidature of Mrs Bedi. If we go in depth Mr. Narayan Murthy of Infosys and many more dignitaries have sent letters in her support.

Mrs. Kiran Bedi a national tennis champion had joined the Indian Police Service in 1973 and was acknowledged as a tough and upright officer who has never bent and take stand to delegate her duties irrespective to the post of the offender occupies. She received Magsaysay award in 1994 for her work in prison reforms as Inspector General of Police in charge of Delhi’s Tihar Jail. Kindly recollect your mind when Mrs. Bedi took voluntary retirement in 2007 after being bypassed for the post of Delhi Police Commissioner. From so many years she is hosting as chief judge in a poplar TV serial Aap ki Kuchehri, where she resolved a number of domestic problems. She runs two non governmental organizations for prison reforms, child welfare and against drugh abuse.

As we the RTI Activists have been demanding transparency. We should raise our hands for the appointment of Mrs. Bedi as we are seeing from so many years Information Commission office is becoming parking ground for retired bureaucrats and political loyalists.

As the CCIC will be chosen by three member panel comprising PM, Mr. Manmohan Singh, Leader of Opposition Mr. L.K. Advani and the cabinet Minister nominated by the PM. Mr. Veerappa Moily.

As per Section 12(5) of Right to Information Act 2005, “The Chief Information Commissioner and information commissioners shall be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance.” As we see at present Mr. Shailesh Gandhi (Mumbai’s best known RTI Activist & Mrs. Annapurna .Dixit, the widow of former national security adviser Mr. J.N. Dixit) are the only non-bureaucrat among 8 members panel.

We should oppose the handpicked persons selection from DOPT and PMO for protecting the vested interests of mass public.

Regards,

Rajneesh Madhok,

B-xxx/63, Nehru Nagar,

St. No. 2, Railway Road,

Phagwara-144401 (Pb)

• Like 4

rsmurthy1951

With vast experience and ability to analyse issues, Ms. Kiran Bedi is the fittest choice. We have a woman President, woman Speaker and finally why not a woman CIC, that too an efficient and proven administrator.

R S Murthy

• Like 4

drsunilpshenoy

Kiran Bedi is a Great choice no doubt. Justice Shri N Santosh Hegde, Karnataka Lokayukta may also be a good candidate. He has been nailing the beaurocracy and babus in karnataka from all sides, but has his punitive powers seriously curtailed. He is a man holding morals close to his heart.Ac CIC, he would be able to exercise powers to penalise as well.

My personal opinion for sure!

regards

dillip kumar mohapatra

For the post of CIC more than experience transparency is very vital.I think kiran bedi can give this for RTI meant.

betterlife

Government is on the look out for a new CIC. Some known people have written to PM in support of Kiran Bedi as CIC. I fully support this move. Kiran Bedi will be the best CIC. All those citizens who believe in right to information should support this move. India's aam admi has always been inspired by her, and has full faith in her ability to protect their right to information.

taurus

I fully agree with JPS50 when he says "It is not only experience or knowledge but what counts is attitude. If attitude is pro-citizen and pro-democracy, every thing else will fall in line." I think someone like Anna Hazare fits the bill. Why not Anna Hazare himself? This suggestion is more so to avoid another ex-bureaucrat - not that I have special hatred for bureaucrats, but only to have a nice mix and balance to implement the Act in its true spirit.

kishprit

As the first women IPS in india,Kiran Bedi need not any support from cheap celebrities or social activits like Amir Khan or Anna Hazare.She is strong enough to get her goals by her own.This kind of activities are publicity stunts of so called hippocrate social workers to get attention of media.

sidmis

Do The Right Thing

Editorial in the Times of India

Problems with RTI run deeper than appointment of CIC

It has been four years since the Right to Information (RTI) Act came into force, ushering in a new era of transparency and accountability, or so it was hoped. While RTI might not have been the unqualified success many expected it to be, it is an important tool that civil society can use to keep the government honest. That’s why we are watching the debate raging over the appointment of the next chief information commissioner (CIC) with some apprehension.

Civil society groups have every right to suggest a name for a post as important as that of the CIC. RTI is an instrument that gives citizens some measure of control over information, and it is understandable that civil society would be wary that excessive intervention from the bureaucracy would blunt the Act’s powers. But by asking that decorated police officer Kiran Bedi be appointed to the top post and demanding that the merits of a different choice be explained to them, information rights activists have polarised the debate to the point of blackmail.

Lobbies are a fact of life in a democracy, but the kind of pressure tactics that those lobbying on behalf of Bedi have employed are likely to put the government on the defensive. In entering into a confrontation with the government over the post of CIC, the activists have failed to take into account that it is not only they who have a stake in RTI and its functioning. The state is also a stakeholder, and as with all disagreements where many actors are involved, all views must be taken on board and a consensus evolved.

Since its inception, RTI has met with mixed success. The results of a recent study into the conduct of information commissioners across the country indicate that only 27 per cent of RTI applicants receive the information they asked for, while a significant chunk of the population remains unaware of how to file an application for information. Another potential problem is that only two of every 100 RTI Act violations are penalised. Even when information commissioners direct officers to release information, a majority – as much as 61per cent – ignore the order. With so many questions over the implementation of the Act, it is important that the debate over RTI is not restricted to the appointment of the CIC. Information rights activists should work towards strengthening RTI by beginning a discussion on how best to expand its scope.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=CAP/2009/11/03&PageLabel=16&EntityId=Ar01605&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T

sidmis

Getting the right CIC

As published in the LiveMint Quick Edit

The Right to Information (RTI) Act has formidable foes. It is only fitting that our next chief information commissioner (CIC) be equally formidable, if not more. Kiran Bedi, India's first woman Indian Police Service officer, who is being endorsed by persons as diverse as Anna Hazare and Aamir Khan, is one such candidate.

All too often, RTI petitions fail due to a combination of bureaucratic stonewalling (firewalling is a better description) and "sympathy" of information commissioners towards officialdom. It makes sense for governments to appoint retired officials: They often display a marked lack of enthusiasm to chase the truth and great energy to save their serving friends from embarrassment. This does not make sense for citizens.

To make RTI meaningful, the recruitment pool of commissioners needs to be liberalized: Eminent persons from different walks of life should be tried and those with bureaucratic backgrounds avoided. If the government decides on another civil servant appointment, that would be unfortunate.

Quick Edit | Getting the right CIC - Home - livemint.com

• Like 2

Shrawan

I expected this poll would have more 'Yes' votes than 'No'. But as of now it seems equally poised.

pkg206

Today a news item appeared in Punjab Kesari in which one of the celebrity of bollywood has requested the PM and President of India to appoint Ms. Kiran Bedi(Retd.), IPS as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) and we should appreciate that if appointed, she will do remarkable progress in successfully implementation of RTI Act in India. If agree, recommend the same to your near and dear ones.

pkg206

advocate rajesh

every person having honest integrity , national character and who want to bring a change can do this job. Kiran Bedi is the right person.

Pradip Shah

Upa does not care for public opinion. For important post some `yes man/woman` is appointed. Kiran bedi is not `yes woman`

pankajjthakur

Kiran Bedi is the best candidate for President of India. In RTI she can do better then anyone else.

• Like 1

sidmis
Kiran Bedi is the best candidate for President of India. In RTI she can do better then anyone else.

How do you know ? :confused:

Have you ever worked with her ? You saw her in close quarters ?

People act differently in different circumstances.

Some times back we had an Activist becoming IC. Public clapped and rejoiced when he was appointed as Central IC. But soon after that euphoria died down. Even a recent RTI survey rates his performance in a very low scale.

Hope the same is not repeated in case of Ms. Bedi.

• Like 4

Hanuman63

The job of the CIC is not simple and easy. He or she has a big balancing act to do. The fact that non of the Info commissioners at the CIC were scoring well with the public image clearly shows how difficult a job it is to uplift the noble RTI Act meant to serve the public. Whether Ms Bedi can be one who can give fillip to this act is to be watched even though many support her in this new role.

• Like 1