News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
rudrappa

hAS RTI BEEN A SUCCESS?????

rudrappa
  • Like 1

ER. RAVINDRA

No!!!!!! It became a new tool to victimize innocent citizens.

Cic is giving shelter to cpio's of public authorities, who are willfully denying the information and also passing incorrect orders.

• Like 1

rudrappa

Most of the infomation commissioners are not providing justice to the information seeking citizen , instead of providng justice they are suppressing and threatning the information seekers , They are became fencing [ protectors ]for bureucrats and officials of government , the information commissioners are became dictators , They are recomonding several amendments with the instigation of corrupt bureaurcrats , Information commissioners are not doing justice to their jobs , I have filed about more than 300 applicaitons seeking information from various organisations such as DG & IG , Police commisioner , Deputy commissioners , Lokayuktha , Metro railway corporation , KIADB , BBMP , BDA , BMRDA , KHB , KSRTC , Village panchayath , Tahsildars , The response is very poor , To get an information they are dragging the application more than 1 Year , None of the offices are not interested to implemented the section 4and 5 of the act promptly

Thank you

Bachao india from clutches of corruption

JAI HIND

RUDRAPPA , B.E.LLB. [ MA JOURNALISM ]

SOCIAL REFORMER & RTI ACTIVIST

pooorabyoura

It is too early to judge. It is also too difficult to judge. And the act itself is but a primitive document and its implementation has been hurried and lopsided and done with the aim of appeasing a vocal minority.

What can be judged very easily are:

1. Has a profession emerged out of it?

2. Has the organized segment (read "NGOs") been able to benefit from it?

3. Have aggreived individuals been educated about the Act?

4. Has there been a backlash from the bureaucracy/aristocracy?

Regards

rajyadav017

Dear info warriors

At least we have the some way to write the application to seek info ,no doubt the info commissioners are political appointees in most of the cases , as the general public will use this act more and more govt has to buckle under the public opinion to appoint good info commissioners. Lets have hope someday this act will clear the corruption from the govt depts.

jps50

4 year is too small a period to judge such a revolutionary piece of legislation. We should also ask, what WE the citizens [specially educated] have done to popularise and make it effective. Let us not expect any politician or babu to hand over rights to us on silver plate. Every important achievement has to be earned.

• Like 1

Dr. M. Faiyazuddin

We should hope against hope.

vnatarajan

AS a retired Govt servant of over 36 years of experience in one of the largest departments of the country ( more tha 18000 employees), I have my own reservations and comments to express. Perhaps this may not be the forum for doing so in DETAIL. (my posts elsewhere can be seen).

In the beginning iteself, I express that it may be PrEMATURE to measure the SUCCESS OF RTI from available feed-backs.

Following points are EMERGING harsh truths- which cd also be seen as the WEAKNESSES in the system delaying its success:

1.Information furnished by CPIOs are only those which "exist" in some form for which he/she has access. In a PA, for eg in a Ministry, there could be several desks dealing with several aspects and no CPIO would be able to give a "total" package of information for a "real issue based RTI application".

2.Often the CPIO simply forwards the information given by some other source-or many times such sources are made to answer you directly -thus extending the path of reply to an elongated route and after such experiences, one may lose hope of arriving at the correct information for which the RTI application was made.

3.What segment of "Information" suits may perhaps be parted with by the CPIO/PA readily and it may not be necessary to furnish other information which is exactly what you may require. IN OTHER WORDS TRANSPARENCY OR ACCESS TO ALL INFORMATION IS SOMEHOW DENIED or circumvented.

4.There are a few Sections of the Act under which umbrage is taken to deny the information asked for - and Citizens may not realise the ground truth behind such departures fully.

5.Often Appellate Authority being the superior authority in the same PA set-up, appeals are invariably opposed and disposed of. CPIO gets the protection, right or wrong.

6.Not many can take the Information dispute up to the CIC. No ordinary citizen has the means or sustenance.

I can add further. But then let me not PILE UP as all these observations may look like criticisms ( all the above are based on my/ my group's experiences)

POSITIVE SIDE:

Normally your ordinary appeals/ enquiries to any PA may not find the light of the day.

(My 13 appeals/ similarly several of my friends' appeals on a very genuine Sr Citizen issue did not yield even a single reply! Then few of us resorted to RTI system- and got some responses but a good wealth of experience on "success" aspect!)

For example reminders/ enquiries on the "STATUS" aspects of your applications say for Passport/ IT refund/ DL/ Voter's ID/ Grievance appeals to some PAs/ Licences etc may not get any responses.

BY PAYING RS 10/ AND spending ANOTHER RS 40 FOR OTHER EXPENSES- I CAN GET A REPLY ON STATUS AND IF LUCKY THE PROCESS MAY GET EXPEDITED SO THAT YOUR CASE IS ATTENDED TO.

Perhaps this is an "indirect way of satisfying" ourselves that one had not bribed to expedite the matter- and CORRUPTION is avoided?

UNLESS THE PAs MAKE A SINCERE/ HONEST/ TRANSPARENT/HARD-CORE PRACTICE OF THE RTI MECHANISM, ORDINARY CITIZENS MAY NOT EXPERIENCE THE SUCCESS OF IT.

RTI ACT 2005 has to penetrate larger issues covering impressive segments of the society and not sub-average day-to-day aspirations of average citizens on individual basis. IT MAY BRING IN SOME AWARENESS and if we think that is the end of success, then it is fine!

(I can not deem RTI is a great success because I got my IT Refund thru one RTI Application in the first attempt -at lightning speed!- solitary exceptions can not be generalised to measure success- I may be excused if I am wrong)

praveen sakhuja

it is very much true that Commissioners are acting as fence to CPIO/PA may for self interests. If this fence is removed RTI can acheive many fold high success.

colnrkurup

Enactment of the RTI Act in the present form is a success and achievement. But its implementation so far has been a failure due to unholy nexus between some of the Politicians and bureaucrats.

• Like 1

vnatarajan

I do agree with colnrkurup's observations.

I would put more on the latter's "indifference" , "lack of commitment", "evading trnasparency", "heirarchial pressure" etc and like that I can add more having been continuously fighting out an issue since 15 months or so!.

The lack of cooperation between the Administrative Ministries is another "invisible component" which reduces the credilbility of the lesser "powerful" ones. The dominating Ministry for all - more often than not- prevails upon others!

Steps to bring in "undesirable" changes in some "vital" provisions of the RTI Act will spell its doom and disaster soon.

Furnishing the file note copies and the like had been one of the important features which had brought to light a FEW "harsh" truths as in our case and now if the Govt. succeeds in "REMOVING" this provision, the back-bone of the RTI act will be broken.

TO MAINTAIN THE CURRENT LEVEL OF SUCCESS ITSELF REQUIRES MORE INPUTS FROM THE GOVT. AND NOT ANY DESTRUCTIVE CHANGES!. CITIZENS & FORUMS MUST OPPOSE SUCH MOVES.

rajub
Enactment of the RTI Act in the present form is a success and achievement. But its implementation so far has been a failure due to unholy nexus between some of the Politicians and bureaucrats.

Bulls eye!

syed2011

I will go with what Ravindra had said

aslamkhan

Enactment of the RTI Act in the present form might be a success but what to do when corruption start here as soon as child is born with issuing of "birth certificate" & it might not even end when we go for death certificate of a person...............................

alphaalpha
,no doubt the info commissioners are political appointees in most of the cases ,

Herein lies a major problem. One politician appointing a officer; mostly one who would be amenable to adjudicating cases most in line with the politician's way of thinking. As politicians begin to see the importance of this position, the quality of the commissioners will gradually get eroded. Hope there is some process to ensure competent individuals land this job. I wonder how this works in other nations with an RTI equivalent Act in place, say, the Freedom of Information Act of the United States?

john.n

Truly speaking,it is the grass root public,which has accepted corruption.They have many problems and these problems have been created by govt itself.It is a vicious circle.An endless one.When Prevention of Corruption Act was enacted,we felt everything will change,but corruption multi-folded then.Now RTI.Our lawmakers make laws with some loopholes.i.e.In a corruption cases,state governments do not permit prosecution,which is necessary under the act,and a corrupt official goes free.In RTI act also,there is no scope of judicial review.The only way is a Writ under the Article 226/32.In large,we have laws but there is lack of commitment with officials/employees who implement it.And these employees are a part of a society which is not ashamed of graft.That's the problem.

colnrkurup

In a Nation where the Leader of Opposition and the entire opposition is not able to change a corrupt Minister what are we talking about an simple Inffformation Commissioner. A Nation who cannot elect a good leader to lead them does not deserve such a leader.

dkchhetri

Yes, being a member of Sikkim RTI Forum i accept, RTI Act 2005 is a success. loopholes lies in Anti Corruption Act, and we all know Govt. is not in favour of strong anti corruption ,only option left is Anna Hazare, we have no option left but to support him.

In my view if strong LokPal comes into existence, RTI Act will serve as compliment to LokPal, i.e RTI Activist will find the information and submit it to LokPal and the LokPAL will act on it. Bottomline is support JanLokPal Bill and lets atleast try to remove corruption.

colnrkurup

We are not dearth of any Act or Rules to punish the corrupt. When the Seniors are scared of juniors and dared not punish them lest their own corrupt acts are exposed, the Lokpal Act or Janlokpal Bill are redundant. I have been exposing specific cases of corruption with documentary evidence obtained through RTI Act. I got innumerable cases where the Collector, Ministers, V&AC Bureau and even the Lok Ayukta not punishing the guilty.

dkchhetri

With due respect to Sir, col.Kurup,

I am general secretary of Sikkim RTI Forum, and our team too has unearthed many corruption cases with documentary evidences, but after complaining on the basis of conrete evidences too, the concerned authorities are not taking any action.Some time these things despair you, but we cannot stop fighting, lets hope strong LokPal will do something, if it does not, then too we cannot stop raising our voice, we cannot stop fighting against the corruption lest the Proverb becomes reality "ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS, GOOD MAN DO NOTHING."

colnrkurup

Yes. You are right. Let us keep on fighting optimistically.

nk agarwal

This is in continuation to comment nos. 19 & 20 - The RTI Act-2005 does not in itself correct the course. However, I remain amused, once the rabbit is out due to someone’s application for info under the RTI Act-2005, what prevents the PA to suo moto take/initiate corrective actions? thnks.

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy