News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
vinay4java

IT Refund from another location

Question

vinay4java

Hi,

Ealier I had worked(2006-2007) in a company located in Pune and having head office in Ahmdabad (Guj).They have filed our IT returns in Ahmdabad and there is around Rs. 10000 refund is due on IT.

Currently I am working in mumbai(2007 -till date). I have filed my IT Refund from Mumbai(in Aug 2007) as the consultant told me that now one can file IT refund from any location.I hv filed for IT refund with attached Form-16,but till date I have not got the same.

Now I am confused where should I send the RTI and to whom I should Address?

Can I file the same from mumbai.Can we resister a legal Case against IT department for this Delay?

Kindly help on this Regard.

thanks and Regards

vinay

vinay4java@gmail.com

1 answer to this question

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• nitin907
      By nitin907
      Hi
      I filed my tax return in bangalore A.Y. 2005-06 and 2006-07.
      I am in delhi now and still have not recieved the refunds.
      I have got the address by looking at some sites is it correct ?
      Income Tax Officer
      C.R.BUILDINGS, QUEEN’S ROAD, BANGALORE

Now how should I make an application under RTI and there is a draft to be made of Rs 10/- in what name the draft should be made ?
      Is there any form to be filled and sent to bangalore address.

Thanks in anticipation
      -Nitin
    • karira
      By karira
      Q & A column in hindu.com on 7 July 2008:
      The Hindu : Business / Tax Forum : Senior citizens and refund

Senior citizens and refund

It is well-known that refunds from the IT Department take inordinately long time extending to several months usually after a follow-up and reminder. The Minister of State for Finance had stated in 2007 that ‘there have been instructions to issue refund within four months’. One does not, therefore, understand the inability to comply with these orders. True, belated refunds carry interest in law, subject to such refund being in excess of 10 per cent of tax payable, but this is a poor consolation, even if such interest is received after inordinate delay. Dignity Dialogue, a Mumbai publication, in its October 2007 issue featured an interesting article by a leading chartered accountant on his recourse to the Right to Information Act, 2005 (RTI), whereby he obtained all his refunds pending for six years within a month or so of his application under this Act. The format and the procedure are well described. He ends by stating that “the RTI is the most powerful Act, the like of which has never been witnessed before”. There is a provision under Sec. 195(3) for the assessing officer to prescribe a lower TDS. Rule 29B prescribes Form 15D for such application for authorisation from the assessing officer. But then, the IT Department is not geared for prompt attention for issue of such certification. Further, Instruction No. 8 of 2006 dated October 31, 2006, from the Central Board of Direct Taxes cautions “indiscriminate” issue of such certificates with the further requirement of administrative approval from the Joint Commissioner. All these cumbersome procedures render it difficult for the assessees to get such certificates in time. Having exhibited a soft corner for senior citizens, the Finance Minister should now go a step further and take into consideration the above hurdles and difficulties, abolish TDS for senior citizens altogether or reduce it substantially. Most of them being honest taxpayers, the loss of revenue on its account will be negligible.

This letter is received from K. P. Mahalingam of Chennai. It is true that in spite of its sincere attempts, the Income-tax Department has not been able to ensure prompt issue of refunds, while any delay in payment of tax by the assessee is visited with punitive action. Wherever there is a mismatch between the statements furnished by the deductor and the credit claimed by the deductee, sorting out the discrepancy leads to further delay.

Some of the charges were that some centres have a separate counter for senior citizens, so as to attend to their refund claims even more promptly, but not followed in other centres.

The reader’s suggestion for recourse to Right to Information Act, 2005, is not clear.

How this would help an individual to get a refund. But complaints to the Joint Commissioner or Commissioner of Income-tax may help in some cases. A lady refundee of Chennai got back her long standing refunds by staging a dharna in the morning to get the refund on the same day. Such a solution, if it is a solution, may not be necessary after the creation of Ombudsman. But before a complaint is made to the Ombudsman, the assessee should lodge a complaint to the next senior officer and only when there is no response from him also, a valid application can be filed with the Ombudsman.

This is likely to be effective because the Ombudsman has powers to inflict pecuniary liability on the persons responsible for the delay, besides placing a possible hurdle in the career prospect of erring officers.

The reader’s suggestion for abolishing TDS for all senior citizens is probably too tall, since the affluent senior citizens may far outnumber deserving senior citizens.

S. RAJARATNAM

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy