ganpat1956

Commitment from govt officials cannot be obtained under RTI: CIC

In a blow to information seekers wanting commitment from government officials through their queries, the Central Information Commission (CIC) has ruled that there was no provision under the Right to Information (RTI) Act to seek opinion and commitment.

The CIC rejected an appeal seeking commitment from the Postal Department as to when it was going to issue some new commemorative postage stamp on certain celebrities.

"The Act does not provide for a right to seek comments, answers or interpretations to the queries raised by a citizen, obviously because they would be subjective," said Commissioner Padma Balasubramanian dismissing the appeal which sought commitment regarding the issuance of future postage stamps on Dr B R Ambedkar and Guru Ravi Das.

The Commission made it clear that the officials were under no obligation to assure anything, pertaining to future activities, to information seeker as they do not fall under the purview of the RTI.

R L Kain, a resident of Delhi, had sought a commitment from the Postal Department that it would release commemorative stamp in honour of B R Ambedkar and other celebrities.

The CIC, in a recent order, upheld the Central Public Information Officer's earlier ruling that there was no provision for disclosure of "comments, opinion or commitment" under the Act.

outlookindia.com | wired

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Popular Contributors

• Files

• Blog Entries

• Similar Content

• By UK K
      I wish to know,
      How to file RTI to information about OBC Non Creamy Layer.
      As per OM, for children of class iii/class c state government officer income test is not applicable.
      But OBC issuing authority/SDM of our state is not aware of this and rejects our application.
      So i filled an RTI to get information about same, but got reply as queries/clarification does not come under RTI act.
      So how do i file an RTI to know applicability of INCOME TEST for CLASS C officer.
      Please reply..........
    • By gene0004
      Dear sir
      Please 1 year old rti file no information my department

Sent from my A37fw using RTI INDIA mobile app

• By Priya De
      The RTI query, sent to the Ministry of Finance, sought details on individual exposure of various PSBs to corporate borrowers. The questions that were asked in the RTI query sought information on the loans given to the Reliance Industries, Adani Group, GVK Group, GMR and Jaypee Group. The RTI was first directed to the Finance Ministry, which then forwarded the RTI request to various banks asking them to provide the information. The RTI had questions on the money loaned to big industrial houses by government-run banks. However, all public sector banks except Andhra Bank and Allahabad Bank have refused to divulge information citing either the 'personal nature' of questions or how they don't fit under the provisions of the RTI Act. 
      In their reply to the RTI query, the banks have said that the information available with banks under "fiduciary relationship" is exempted from disclosure.
      Read about: Fiduciary Relationship under RTI
      While Andhra Bank and Allahabad Bank have disclosed the loans given to big corporates, all other lenders refused to do so. Banks which did not disclose any detail in their reply to the RTI query include State Bank of India (SBI), Bank of Maharashtra, Corporation Bank, Indian Bank, Canara Bank, UCO Bank, Indian Overseas Bank, Central Bank of India, Bank of India and Syndicate Bank. Earlier this month, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley informed the Rajya Sabha that loans worth Rs 81,683 crore were written-off by public sector banks (PSBs) in 2016-17.
      Country's largest public sector lender, the SBI, said, "The information sought by you under point number three to eight is the third party personal information held by the bank in a fiduciary capacity, the disclosure of which is not warranted for any larger public interest and as such is exempted from disclosure."
    • By jayeshwagh

Dear Members,
      For the past few month I have been trying to get some information through https://rtionline.maharashtra.gov.in from the Maharashtra State and Dhule city administration regarding Sewage system of Dhule City. 
      The request to the Collector office was forwarded to the Pollution Control Board. No reply was received from the board.
      The request to the Municipal Corporation, Dhule received a reply to contact Water Supply and Sanitation Department, Maharashtra (WSSD).
      The request to WSSD was forwarded to Urban Development Department, Maharashtra (UDD).
      Today I received a reply from UDD that the request has been forwarded to Municipal Corporation, Dhule
      I have attached the list of questions asked and replies received from all the departments.
      Request you to please suggest future course of action. 
      WSSD_reply.pdf
      UDD_reply.pdf
      questions.pdf
      MCO_reply.pdf
      CLO_Reply.pdf
    • Guest Ravi Goswami
      By Guest Ravi Goswami
      In Gujarat, at Ahmedabad fake Doctors doing very wrong practice and they play with poor people's life and making money. They have no ragisterd equivalent degree.
      And also they are daily drunk in Hospital and doing very bad activities and also doing Physical harrasment with Poor women.Police does not taking any action. Police take money from there all time. I want to strict action against to this scam.

Sent from my A1601 using RTI INDIA mobile app
    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      02/21/2018 03:26 AM

Newest Member
    শাহ্‌ মোঃ বোরহান
    Joined 04/21/2018 09:41 PM

Our Moderators

karira karira Super Moderator
ganpat1956 ganpat1956 Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O RAVEENA_O Super Moderator
ambrish.p ambrish.p Moderators
Sunil Ahya Sunil Ahya Moderators
jps50 jps50 Moderators

About Us

RTI INDIA established in the year 2006, attracts a broad audience of citizens, experts, professionals and Government Officers interested in the latest development in the field of Right to Information. We also boast an active community focused on helping citizens to File RTI, First Appeal and Second Appeals. Our download section contains many sample RTI forms for everybody to use.

Social Links

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy