News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
Lakshmi iyer

copy of pay slip of an employee can be given or not?

Question

Lakshmi iyer

Details of salary of the employee working in (Govt./Public sector) can be given.

Can the details given below of husband/wife who are living separately be given to either of the spouse?

1) Copy of the pay slip (Can be given or not) since it contains many

other details other than salary like loans & advances taken which are

personal to the employee.

2) Details of Investment made in a new flat by wife/husband who are

working in (Govt./Public sector) & how it is made? Since assets are

declared in the office where he/she is working ?

3) Whether consent needs to be taken from the employee for providing

his/her details to husband/wife before divorce?

13 answers to this question

karira

Lakshmi,

Please read:

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/AT-17072009-11.pdf

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/MA-23052008-01.pdf

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/SG-04052009-14.pdf

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_03072007_15.pdf

Specifically:

1. Salary details yes, but salary slip - generally no. (depends on the details on the salary slip).

2. Details of investment in property - can be denied under Sec 8(1)(j).

3. No need to take consent for Salary details.

Since you are going to anyway deny information on property investment, no need to take any consent. Consent of third party should only be sought if the PIO intends to disclose the information.

Please also read some of the threads in the following search:

husband wife - Google Search

They have some interesting posts regarding details of husband/wife to the other.

nukebomb

SALARY SLIP is not a confidential document. hence you can ask for copy of salary slip of govt, officers.

property transaction details can also be asked . Infacr every govt. employee is required to submit every property transaction details to his office.This is not deniable under RTI.

gagan970

Can we ask private employees' salary details too? What is the authority we shall write to?

ambrish.p

Dear Gagan

RTI is not applicable on private companies.

regards

kanchan lata nigam

sir, i am happy to know this thread information about disclosure of salary slip,but my husband's c.m.o. is not providing him salary slips which must be provided every month ,besides several representations by my husband.

ambrish.p

Dear Kanchan Lata Ji

Option/s available:

1. Your husband may file RTI application for copy of decision (or any order passed) taken on his representation. He can seek action taken report also.

2. U can file RTI application seeking copy of his salary slip.

For detailed information on how to draft & file an RTI application, please see the All About RTI links on the homepage & RTI Guide section of the portal.

If you have any further doubts, please post them here and our members will be pleased to guide you further.

regards

kanchan lata nigam

sir, thank u for ur expert valuable guidance .

kanchan lata nigam

thanks to gagan970 for valuable post.

gagan970

I am glad that it helped you, you are welcome, anytime.

PKH-Mumbai

The salary slip contains two columns - Income and Savings/other deductions. The INCOME portion is open for public consumption on demand. CPIO cannot refuse. The Savings/ other deductions is personal to the concerned employee. This can be refused by the CPIO - section 8(1)(e). In the PSU where I am employed, we generally give the extract of form 16 after blanking out the PAN details of the concerned employee.

• Like 2

lalitkhandagale

My mother is asking for a photocopy of salary slip, which the department of MSRTC is not giving. I want to ask that on which rule of RTI my mother has right to ask the salary slip of my father. according to new laws.

Prasad GLN

A neglected wife can seek such information under RTI. There are no exemptions for the matters related to larger public interest. Neglecting his own spouse is against larger public interest. Such reason is enough, and she can even claim for certain percentage of salary payment to her.

karira
My mother is asking for a photocopy of salary slip, which the department of MSRTC is not giving. I want to ask that on which rule of RTI my mother has right to ask the salary slip of my father. according to new laws.

Salary slip will not be disclosed under RTI because it contains "deductions" which might have personal details and therefore exempted under 8(1)(j).

However, monthly remuneration and the system of compensation has to be disclosed under RTI.