News Ticker
info.master

Drafting RTI Application regarding Indian Rupee design selection process...

info.master

I want to file RTI ... please help me in drafting it....

Sub : Information required regarding Symbol for Indian Rupee design selection process...

Department : Ministry of Finance, Department of Economic Affairs, Currency & Coinage

Questions :

1. Please let me know the total number of “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries received by 1pm on 15th April 2009?

2. Total number of final entries considered eligible according to Finance Ministry “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

3. Please let me know the detailed parameters of selection of “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries?

4. According to “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines “The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard” what that means?

5. Did each and every entry have been thoroughly analysed before considering eligible?

6. Provide the certified photocopy of record indicating details of D.D submitted by Rajkamal Aich eligible entry number 1307.

7. Please provide me the name and the designation of the office who shortlisted the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries.

8. Information under RTI Act, 2005 F.No. 3/40/09-Cy Dated 7th January, 2010 – Answering question number 4, I get to know from media that there were total 3331 eligible entries .But on Finance Ministry website there are only 2644 eligible entries list. Where are other 687 eligible entries lists?

9. Initially eligible entry number 1138 was hold by Mitlesh Kothari according to the 1st list created on 26 Aug, 2009 and uploaded on Ministry of Finance website but now according to latest uploaded list which was created on 15 sep., 2009 his name is deleted. Please Explain.

10. Please let me know the numbers of times your department updated the eligible design entries list without informing the public on your website?

11. Please provide me the name and the designation of the office that prepared and updated the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries final list.

12. Please provide me the name and the designation of the office that uploaded the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries final list on Ministry of finance website Ministry Of Finance

13. Provide the names of 7 member’s jury and their present job position?

14. Did your department forward the theme synopsis and concept to jury against each design in final top five design selections?

15. Please let me know the numbers of hours’ or days sittings were conducted by 7 member’s jury for short listing top five out of final list of entries considered eligible?

16. Did Minutes of meeting were put on record in any format regarding short listing eligible design entries and final top five finalist? If yes, please provide complete Minutes of meeting.

17. Did whole selection processes were put on record on video? If yes, please provided unedited version of whole video footage.

18. Did 7 member’s jury short listed top 100, top 10 finalists? If yes, please provide the list of top 100 and top 10 finalists.

19. Total number of entries submitted by each top five participants?

20. Did top 5 finalists design entries followed “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

21. Please provide certified photocopy of all the top 5 finalist entries original design and supporting documentation like theme synopsis and concept.

22. Did 7 member jury were aware that Ms. Nondita Correa-Mehrotra written to RBI regarding rupee design back in 2005?

Guy we got 22 must ask questions please advice how to go ahead with this kind of RTI application ?

Looking forward for quick response from you guys.. Thanks in advance from group of Indian designers who want to fight against Indian bureaucracy...

karira

Anil,

That is a very good first effort.

Just a few suggestions:

1. In item 1, the date and time indicated by you, was it the official deadline ?

If yes, leave it as it is. Otherwise ask for information as on a particular deadline, so that it is available on "record".

2. Item 3, please remove detailed and replace by "guidelines set by the competent authority". Try to be specific.

3. Items 4 & 5 look as if you are asking for clarifications. They will not be replied to. Please rephrase them.

Remember that under RTI, you cannot ask for clarifications/advise, etc. You can ask for "information", "record" and have the "right to information". These are defined in Sec 2(f), 2(i) and 2(j) of the RTI Act. Please read the RTI Act here: Right to Information Act 2005

4. In item 7/11/12/13, ask for Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of all officers.

5. Item Nr. 8, the source of media must be known to you. Was any Finance Ministry officer quoted in that regarding the number of entries ? If yes, quote him and attach a clipping/weblink to the report.

6. Somewhere between Item 8,9,10 also ask for certified copies of all the lists ever prepared, of elligible entries received by the competent authority.

7. Rephrase 14 to something like "What was the additional information/documents/records forwarded to the jury alongwith each entry"

8. You can combine item 15/16/17 and ask in sub point form:

Please provide me...........

a) The venues, dates, duration, start time and end time

b) Minutes of the meeting for each of the meetings listed in item a) above alongwith a list of participants in each meeting

c) Video recordings of the meeting.........

(Just brush up the above language)

9. I really do not know the process of selection. You know better. You also know where the "problem" occurred. Rephrase Item 18 accordingly and be initially "general" and then also "specific" to those parts of the decision process where you think/feel the "problem" occurred. Hope you understand what I mean.

10. Item 20, also looks as if you are asking for opinion. Change it.

11. You haven't asked for the names of the top 5 entries. Presumably you already know.

12. In item 21 be more specific. You know what was required. Ask for everything specifically.

13. Item 22 is also asking for a opinion. Need to rephrase it.

If possible try to file 2 or 3 separate RTI applications by grouping some of the queries which are similar. That way you have protection from being accused of asking too much.

Remember any Citizen of India can file RTI. So they can be from different people/locations.

info.master

Dear karira thanks for advise... i redrafted and divided in total 4 RTI applications... please have look and let me know if ut required further changes

RTI-1

1. Please let me know the total number of “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries received by 1pm on 15th April 2009?

2. Please Provide me certified photocopy of record indicating:

A) state wise listing of total received entries.

B) city wise listing of total received entries.

C) every entry have been thoroughly analysed before considering eligible?

D) total number of final entries considered eligible according to Finance Ministry “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

E) details of Demand Draft submitted by Rajkamal Aich eligible entry number 1307

F) Rajkamal Aich Demand Draft successfully redeemed by ministry of finance accounts department.

G) that eligible entries number 1st list 89, 101, 336, 516, 787, 792, 1093 and 2nd list 13, 66 all are resident indians. As it was the one of the eligible condition according to “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines

http://www.finmin.nic.in/the_ministry/dept_eco_affairs/currency_coinage/Comp_Design.pdf

3. What were the parameters of selection for “Symbol for Indian Rupee” eligible design entries?

4. Please provide me the Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of the officer :

A) who shortlisted the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries.

B) who prepared the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries

A) who uploaded the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries on Ministry of finance website Ministry Of Finance

5. Please let me know the total number of days taken by competent authority to shortlist eligible design entries out of total received entries by 1pm on 15th April 2009.

6. Please provide me the date of publishing :

A) 1st short listed eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

B) 1st short listed extended eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

C) 2nd short listed eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

7. The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard what it means in context to Symbol design for Indian Rupee?

RTI-2

1. Information under RTI Act, 2005 given by Shr Sushil Kumar, Under Secretary to the Govt. of India & CPIO-----F.No. 3/40/09-Cy Dated 7th January, 2010– Answering question number 4, he mentioned that there were total 3331 eligible entries .But on Finance Ministry website there are only 2644 eligible entries list. Where are other 687 eligible design entries lists?

2. Initially eligible entry number 1138 was hold by Mitlesh Kothari according to 1st list created on 26 Aug, 2009 and uploaded on Ministry of Finance website but now according to latest updated list which was created on 15 sep. 2009 his name is deleted.

3. Please provide :

A) certified photo copies of all the lists ever prepared for eligible entries received by ministry of finance.

B) all the list ever uploaded on Ministry of Finance website till now in its original .pdf format.

4. Please let me know the numbers of times your department updated the eligible design entries list without informing the public on your website?

5. Please provide me the Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of the officer who

A) updated the final eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries list earlier uploaded on ministry of finance website.

B) uploaded the updated eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries final list on Ministry of finance website Ministry Of Finance

RTI-3

1. Provide the names, Home State, present job position of all 7 jury member’s.

2. Did explanation of the Design forwarded to the jury along with each design for final top five design selections?

3. Please provide me the information regarding :

A) The numbers of hours’ or days sittings were conducted by 7 member’s jury for short listing top five out of final list of entries considered eligible?

B) Minutes of the meeting for each of the meetings listed in item A) above along with a list of names of jury members in each meeting

4. Please provide :

A) whole selection processes unedited version of video footage.

B) the list of marks or grade allotted to total eligible design entries.

C) the list of top 100 and top 10 finalists.

D) The total number of entries each top five participants submitted?

5. Did top 5 finalists design entries follow all “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

Such as :

A) The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard. The symbol has to be in the Indian National Language Script or a visual representation.

B) A participant can send a maximum of two entries.

6. Please provide certified photocopy of all the top 5 finalist entries original design and supporting documentation like theme synopsis and concept.

RTI-4

1. Please let me know :

A) Date and timing of final presentations in front of Jury.

B) Did all top five participant attended final presentation in front of jury.

C) Name of the absent participant if any.

D) Did all 7 jury member were present at the time of final presentation?

E) Name of the absent jury if any.

2. Did Ms. Nondita Correa-Mehrotra informed 7 member jury that she already written to RBI regarding rupee design back in 2005 in her final presentation?

3. Provide me the certified photocopy of minutes of meeting with each top five finalist presentation in front of jury.

4. Please provide top five finalists complete presentation unedited version of video footage.

karira

Anil,

That is OK.

Even if some of the information is denied, you will have enough grounds for first appeal - if it comes to that.

info.master

Dear all,

Earlier I asked you guys to help help me in drafting the RTI to expose bias and corruption in “Indian Rupee Symbol Design” selection process. We already filed the RTI and still waiting for answers till this date (23 days already passed).

Other Update:

As we filled the RTI, some one as also filed the RTI in other part of the country regarding the same issue. Finance Ministry responded back with answer to his questions.

One of the questions he asked was:

Question: Did Finance Ministry received more then 2 design entries from selected top 5 participants?

Answer: NO

Note: According to Finance minister competition guidelines one participant can only submit max two design entries.

RTI Application :

pic008t.jpg

Down below is answer from Finance Minsitry :

pic009t.jpg

But after few days he received another letter and according to it Finance Ministry informed him (Might be because we and other also asking the same question and one of the top 5 finalist already confessed in media that he submitted 4 design entries) that answer to the question had been modified and answer is YES from now on instead of NO as they stated earlier.

Updated Answer Letter :

pic010x.jpg

Now as Finance Ministry already admitted that they received more then two design entries and they short listed that candidate is clearly a case of negligence and violation of competition guidelines.

And it also raised the question of eligibility of other 4 top finalists too.

So now my question is what shell we need to do now?

Do we need to go to court as it’s a case of negligence ,violation of competition guidelines and we also know its not the only one guideline they violated in this case?

Or

File another RTI to ask them what action they had taken against that candidate candidacy and the officer who approved his application validity?

karira

As far as the RTI part of your query is concerned, file another RTI asking for the Names of all competitors (successful, unsuccessful, shortlisted, etc..) who submitted more than 2 entries, names etc. of officers who approved those entries for participation when the rules provided for a max of 2 entries, were the rules changed during the process, if yes were the participants informed, etc etc etc.....

As far as the Non RTI part of your query is concerned, RTI Act will only help you get information. How you use the information obtained is upto you - and beyond the scope and purview of the portal.

But, I can smell some bad fish.

By the way, was the competition related to the approval of the symbol for the Indian Rupee ? or was that different ?

info.master
By the way, was the competition related to the approval of the symbol for the Indian Rupee ? or was that different ?

Thats the same we are talking about here !!

karira
Thats the same we are talking about here !!

Sorry for mistyping the earlier post....

What I meant to type was: Was this also about the design of the Indian Rupee Notes ?

Edit: I though I read somewhere (or heard Finance Minister in his speech) that the Notes were being redesigned...or was it the Rupee symbol ? Sorry, too confused !!

info.master
Sorry for mistyping the earlier post....

What I meant to type was: Was this also about the design of the Indian Rupee Notes ?

Edit: I though I read somewhere (or heard Finance Minister in his speech) that the Notes were being redesigned...or was it the Rupee symbol ? Sorry, too confused !!

You heard it in Finance Minister speech and Its the Indian Rupee symbol .... which will be redesigned and for it they held the "Indian Rupee design Symbol" competition .... but Finance Ministry messed the whole process and they sideline the guidelines in selecting top five finalist.

info.master

Update

One of the RTI appilcant who also filled the same RTI as our got the answers which are as follow:

Particulars of information required regarding “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design competition.

Ans: No record about the total number of design entries of symbol for Indian Rupee has been maintained. However, on scrutiny of applications, it was found that 2644 applicants were eligible. Some applicants had submitted more than one entry.

2. Please Provide me certified photocopy of record indicating:

A) state wise listing of total received entries.

No such record has been maintained.

B) city wise listing of total received entries.

C) every entry have been thoroughly analysed before considering eligible?

D) total number of final entries considered eligible according to Finance Ministry “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

No such record/list showing the total number of entries(symbols) has been maintained. Only record of eligible applicants was maintained. Some applicants had submitted more than one entry.

E) details of Demand Draft submitted by RajkamalAich eligible entry number 1307..

RajkamalAich Demand Draft successfully redeemed by ministry of finance accounts department.Sh. RajkamalAich had sent a banker Cheque which wassent to cash Branch to deposit in PAO’s account. Cash Branch return the same as its validity period had expired during the process adopted by them to deposit in PAO’s Account Banker Cheque was returned to Sh. Aich with the request to send Demand Draft.

F) total number of 500 Rs/- value D.D in favor of Pay & Accounts Officer, Department of Economic Affairs, New Delhi redeemed by Dept. of economic affairs accounts department.Between 15 april 2009 to 26 August, 2009

As per the information provided by Cash Branch,2771 DDs were redeemed during 15.4.2009 to 26.08.2009.

G ) that eligible entries number 1st list 101, 336, 516, 683,701,787, 792, 1093,1307,1494,1547,1635,1735,1811,1868 and 2nd list 13, 66 all are resident indians. As it was the one of the eligible condition according to “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines.

According to the information provided in their bio-data, they are Indians.

3. What were the parameters of selection for “Symbol for Indian Rupee” eligible design entries?

These have already been mentioned in the advertisement.

4. Please provide me the Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of the officer :

A) who shortlisted the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries.

B) who prepared the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries

C) who uploaded the eligible “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries on Ministry of finance website Ministry Of Finance

No such list showing the information sought is maintained.

5. Please let me know the total number of days and total number of seating’s were conducting by competent authority in the process of shortlist eligible design entries out of total received entries by 1pm on 15th April 2009.

These type of information is also not maintained.

6. Please provide me the date of publishing :

A) 1st short listed eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

B) 1st short listed extended eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

C) 2nd short listed eligible design entries list on Ministry of finance website.

7. Information under RTI Act, 2005 given by ShrSushil Kumar, Under Secretary to the Govt. of India & CPIO-----F.No. 3/40/09-Cy Dated 7th January, 2010– Answering question number 4, he mentioned that there were total 3331 eligible entries .But on Finance Ministry website there are only 2644 eligible entries list. Where are other 687 eligible design entries lists?

First figure is about the no. of eligible entries and the later one is about the number of eligible applicants. Some applicants submitted more than one entry. .

8. Initially eligible entry number 1138 was hold by Mitlesh Kothari according to 1st list created on 26 Aug,2009 and uploaded on Ministry of Finance website but now according to latest updated list which was created on 15 sep. 2009 his name is deleted.

In the course of re-checking, it was found that Sh. Mitesh Kothari was not eligible.

9. The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard what it means in context to Symbol design for Indian Rupee?

Not covered under definition of ‘Information’.

10. Please provide :

A) certified photo copies of all the lists ever prepared for eligible entries received by ministry of finance.

No such lists have been prepared. .

B) All the list ever uploaded on Ministry of Finance website till now in its original .pdf format.

Lists are on the website of the Department. .

11. Please let me know the numbers of times your department updated the eligible design entries list without informing the public on your website?

When the information is put on the website, it is meant for the public only

12. Please provide me the Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of the officer who

A) updatedthe final eligible“Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries list earlier uploaded on ministry of finance website.

B) uploaded the updated eligible“Symbol for Indian Rupee” design entries final list on Ministry of finance website Ministry Of Finance

No such detail in respect of officials who performed this duty is mentioned.

13. Provide the names, Home State,present job positionof all 7 jury member’s.

The available information regarding the members of Jury is as under:

(1) Smt.UshaThrot , Deputy Governor,RBI, Mumbai – Chairman.

(2) Sh. K.V.Eapen,Joint Secretary, Deptt. Of Financial Services,Ministry of Finance ,New Delhi.

(3) Ms. T.Kumar,JointSecretary,Ministry of Culture, New Delhi.

(4) Smt. Aditi Mehta, Joint Secretary, Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi.

(5) Shri Anil Sinha, Chairperson, Integrated Design Services and Industry Programmes& Projects, National Institute od design, Ahmedabad.

(6) Professor HemuntNagdive,Director JJ School of Arts, Mumbai.

(7) ShriBazilShaikh, Chief General Manager,Reserve Bank of India,Mumbai.

14. Did explanation of the Design forwarded to the jury along with each design for final top five design selections?

Yes, without disclosing the identity of the applicants.

15. Please provide me the information regarding:

A) The numbers of hours’ or days sittings were conducted by 7 member’s jury for short listing top five out of final list of entries considered eligible?

Meeting of Jury were held on 29/30 September, 2009 in Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts, New Delhi and on 16th November, 2009 in Reserve bank of India, New Delhi for evaluation of entries. The meetings on 29th and 30th September were from 10.00 AM to 5.00 AM and the meeting on 16th November was from 2.00 PM to 5.00 PM.

B) Minutes of the meeting for each of the meetings listed in item A) above along with a list of names of jury members in each meeting.

Under Section 8(1)(i) of RTI Act,2005 these documents cannot be given as it may put up on to the Cabinet for taking final decision on the symbol for Indian Rupee.

16. Please provide :

C) whole selection processes unedited version of video footage.

No Video footage was made.

D) the list of marks or grade allotted to total eligible design entries.

No such marks/grade allotted by the Jury to the all eligible entries.

E) the list of top 100 and top 10 finalists.

Every symbol was allotted a random unique code to maintain secrecy of candidates and hence no such name-wise list of top 100 and 10 finalists was made.

F) The total number of entries each top five participants submitted?

Out of 5 top finalists, 4 had sent single entry (Symbol) and one had submitted 4 entries out of which first two received entries were considered.

17. Did top 5 finalists design entries follow all “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines?

Such as :

A) The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard. The symbol has to be in the Indian National Language Script or a visual representation.

Yes

B) A participant can send a maximum of two entries.

No One candidate had submitted more than two entries. However, the first received two entries were only considered.

18. Please provide certified photocopy of all the top 5 finalist entries original design and supporting documentation like theme synopsis and concept.

Under Section 8(1)(d)(i) of RTI Act, 2005, information can not be provided.

19. Please provide me certified photocopy of record indicating:

A) Datewise list of regional, national newspaper where advertisements were published regarding “Symbol for Indian Rupee”.

No such record is available. DAVP had published the advertisement.

C) Total expenditure on advertisement regarding “Symbol for Indian Rupee”.

Rs.10,16,546/-

20. Please let me know :

A) Date and timing of final presentations in front of Jury.

11.00 AM on 15.12.2009

B) Did all top five participant attended final presentation in front of jury.

Yes

D) Name of the absent participant if any.

No participant was absent.

E) Did all 7 jury member were present at the time of final presentation?

No

F) Name of the absent jury if any.

Ms.T.Kumar, Joint Secretary, Minister of Culture, New Delhi

21. Did Ms. Nondita Correa-Mehrotra inform 7 member’s jury that she already written to RBI regarding rupee design back in 2005 in her final presentation?

Not available in the record

22. Provide me the certified photocopy of minutes of meeting with each top five finalist presentation in front of jury.

Under Section 8(1)(i) of RTI Act, 2005, these documents cannot be given as it may be put up to the Cabinet.

23. Please provide top fivefinalists complete presentation unedited version of video footage.

No video footage was made

24. Please provide me the certified photocopy of record indicating Name, Designation, Address, Tel Number, email id of the officer or officers who will made the final decision on “Symbol for Indian Rupee winner”

Not covered under the RTI

info.master

Dear,

As you guys know by now !!

Last two RTI regarding “Symbol for Indian Rupee” design competition exposed that “whole selection processes was handled badly and guidelines were sidelined to declare desired candidates as top five finalists”.

When ever, RTI applicants asked for certified copy of records CPIO told the applicants that “No such record has been maintained”. Maintaining the same attitude they old that they even don’t have any records about the total number of design entries of “symbol for Indian Rupee “received by department.

Ministry of finance CPIO informed the RTI applicants by answering there question that:

One candidate submitted the more then two design entries which are clearly a violation of guidelines and still they shortlisted his design entry in list of valid entries and later on declared his name in top five finalists.

More over according to Ministry of finance circular issued regarding jury it’s clearly said that there 7 jury members should be present at the time of short listing of top five finalist and final interview of top five finalist.

But that guideline was also sideline as according to CPIO only 6 jury members were presented at the time of final interview oftop five finalist.

When RTI applicant asked to provide certified photocopy of all the top 5 finalist entries original design and supporting documentation like theme synopsis and concept.

CPIO told the applicant"Under Section 8(1)(d)(i) of RTI Act, 2005, information can not be provided"

More over CPIO told the RTI applicant that no such top 10 or top 100 list is there according to marks/grade as Jury didn't alot marks/grade to the all eligible entries.

So now please guide what could be done in this regards under RTI act... as CPIO not ready to provide any further infomation by giving excuse “No such record has been maintained”

karira

Best is to highlight in the Media - before the Cabinet or the Government takes any decision.

Also lodge a very strong Complaint (supported by all information) with the Finance Minister and the Prime Ministers Office.

info.master

Update : Media Also Start Reporting About This

18sec.jpg

info.master

First of all we would like to say thanks to RTI India for helping us to file our first RTI ..

Our RTI's exposed violation of guidelines and biased selection process in “Indian Rupee Symbol” design competition.

According to RTI Documents :

1. Non-eligible candidate was shortlisted in top five finalists.

2. One finalist was in contact with Finance Ministry and RBI prior to competition.

3. Design concept or brief was not put in front of jury along with Indian Rupee symbol design.

4. No marks or grades were allotted to selected (2644) candidates design entries, in the process of shortlisting top five finalist design entries.

5. Jury had spends less than 20 seconds on each design entries to analyze it .

6. Three jury member were absent in two days long meeting dated 29th Sept. and 30th Sept. 2009.

7. One jury member from Ministry of Culture was absent on the day of final presentation.

8. All seven jury member had never meet in this whole selection process in any given time.

9. No records are available with Finance Ministry which could indicated, how many total design entries(each entire came with 500 Rs D.D) Finance Ministry had received ?

On 24th of this month Times Of India had publish five shortlisted ( imaginary) design on its front page and reported that cabinet will announce one winner out of these top five design same day.

Later in the day all "News Soap Opera" sorry i means News channels repeated the same story.

But finally gov. had announced that finance ministry need more time in this regard.

So by filing RTI we were successfully able to put the break on biased result , which was full of mismanagement and violation of Guide lines .

RTI made us to say "we are proud to be Indian"

• Like 4

karira

Merged post with earlier thread - to maintain continuity.

karira

As reported by Nivedita Mookerji in dnaindia.com on 16 July 2010:

India gets rupee symbol, but not for banknotes - dnaindia.com

India gets rupee symbol, but not for banknotes

New Delhi: More than a year after the government announced a competition for coming up with a symbol for the rupee, the country finally has a distinct identity for its currency. The Union cabinet on Thursday approved a symbol which is a combination of the Roman ‘R’ without the vertical stroke and the Devnagri letter ‘ra’. The design is the brainchild of Bombay IIT postgraduate D Udaya Kumar, who met finance minister Pranab Mukherjee after the cabinet decision.

[View large image]

The Indian rupee symbol

But no decision has been taken to emboss the new symbol on currency notes, Union information and broadcasting minister Ambika Soni said during a cabinet briefing. A finance ministry official said the government is not planning to print currency notes with the symbol. While the pound sterling symbol is displayed on British banknotes, the dollar sign is not on US notes. Neither do Euro notes bear the symbol.

Although the UPA government is talking of a six-month period for the adoption of the rupee symbol within the country and 18 months to two years for international use, it is still early to figure out how this will be translated into reality.

The symbol will standardise the expression for the rupee in different languages, both within and outside the country. Also, it would better distinguish the currency from that of countries whose currencies are also designated rupee or rupiah — Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Indonesia.

But like all things big, the rupee symbol comes with a dose of controversy. An RTI query has been filed over the selection process of the currency symbol for it not being a fair and transparent process. According to the RTI applicant, not everyone in the jury was present while selecting the symbol. Soni said the RTI query was not discussed in the cabinet meeting.

A special jury, comprising representatives of the Union government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and prominent art institutes like the National Institute of Design and the JJ Institute of Applied Art, presented the final choice to the cabinet after several rounds of short-listing.

The short-listed of five included urban designer Nondita Correa-Mehrotra, the daughter of architect Charles Correa. Other finalists included an employee of advertising and communication major JWT, and a creative designing consultant.

The response to the competition was overwhelming, with 2,468 people/organisations found eligible for the first round. In the second round, 176 candidates were announced. The winner has won a cheque of Rs2.5 lakh. Of course, the real honour lies in creating history.

karira

As reported by Sanjiv Shankaran in livemint.com on 15 July 2010:

Rupee is now part of an elite league - Home - livemint.com

Rupee is now part of an elite league

New Delhi: The rupee became the fifth currency in the world to get a symbol, after the Union cabinet approved the choice of a jury set up to adjudge entries called for in an open competition, but the move is likely to be, at best, symbolic.

It wasn’t immediately clear if the symbol would appear on currency notes, and government officials said it was up to the Reserve Bank of India to decide.

The objective of picking a symbol is “to symbolize Indian rupee in writing”, Ambika Soni, information and broadcasting minister, told the media after the cabinet’s decision.

The US dollar, Japanese yen, euro and the UK pound are the other currencies with symbols. The exercise to select the symbol for the rupee started after the Union government decided that a symbol would symbolize India’s increasing integration with the global economy.

“The symbol will standardize the expression for Indian rupee in different languages, both within and outside the country,” a government statement said about the symbol, which was conceived by D. Udaya Kumar, a research scholar at the Indian Institute of Technology in Mumbai.

Soni herself was unsure if the symbol would be embossed on currency notes.

Meanwhile, Rakesh Kumar Singh, an employee of the Uttar Pradesh state government, alleged there were irregularities in the selection process.

Singh, who had entered the competition to design a symbol, said he had sought information on the process under the Right to Information (RTI) Act as he suspected that bureaucratic bungling had vitiated the process.

Details of the replies to his RTI application are posted on the website Save - Indian Rupee Symbol Design | Indian Currency Symbol | Indian Currency Sign

The seven-member jury was headed by RBI deputy governor Usha Thorat, and included representatives from the Central government and design institutes. She could not be reached for comment.

According to Soni, the cabinet’s discussions did not touch upon claims of flaws in the selection process.

“It was not discussed,” Soni said. “(The) RTI query was neither raised nor discussed.

When asked about Singh’s claims about the selection process, a member of the jury, who did not want to be identified, said the jury was not aware of the RTI application.

As the aim of the entire process is to standardize the expression of the rupee globally, the symbol will be included in the Unicode standard for representation and processing of texts written in major scripts.

According to a government statement, the symbol will also be included in Indian standards, or Indian Script Code for Information Interchange (ISCII).

The ISCII specifies various codes for Indian languages processing on computers along with keyboard layouts.

The government statement added that the industry lobbies for Indian software and hardware companies, Nasscom and Manufacturers Association for Information Technology, or Mait, would ask their members to make changes needed to allow the rupee’s symbol to be used in texts.

According to Soni, the Central government would also ask states to encourage people to use the symbol to depict the rupee.

karira

Government seems to got this new Rupee symbol free of cost !

2771 D/Ds encashed of Rs 500 each: Rs. 13,85,500

Advertisement cost: 10,16,546

Prize Money: 2,50,000

Total: Rs. 12,66, 546.

Still some change left for Chai pani ka kharcha

karira

As reported by Mayank Agarwal in dnaindia.com on 18 July 2010:

'Flaws in selection of rupee symbol' - dnaindia.com

'Flaws in selection of rupee symbol'

New Delhi: Days after its selection by the finance ministry, the symbol of the rupee has got embroiled in a controversy. Two of the unsuccessful candidates have claimed that the selection process to choose the new rupee symbol is full of discrepancies and is flawed. The duo — Anil Khatri and R K Singh — have used RTI replies given by the finance ministry to assert their claim. Designs of both were short-listed, but they didn’t make it to the last five.

Replying to a RTI application, the Union finance ministry told them that a total of 3,331 designs were finally put up for selection of which five designs were short-listed. The process that had started in February last year culminated after the Union Cabinet selected the entry by D Udaya Kumar.

The five designs were selected by a seven-member special jury, comprising representatives of the Union government, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and prominent art institutes like the National Institute of Design and the JJ Institute of Applied Art.

The designs were chosen in three meetings — September 29-30 and November 16 last year — in a span of 17 hours. Going by calculations, on average the jury spent 18.37s on every design, Singh said.

“The RTI reply also revealed that during the selection process jury members were not provided with brief explanations of design. The jury was just handed over the 3,331 designs and of those they selected five. It is disturbing that jury just went by design and not the explanation behind it,” Singh claimed.

“While selecting (the symbol), the jury did not give any grades or marks. The grading or marks were only done when the five candidates made a final presentation before jury on Dec 15, 2009,” Singh told DNA.

The ministry admitted that they did not upload the Hindi version of the guidelines on the Internet, which Singh said was a violation of Rajbhasha Act. As per the guidelines, the symbol should represent the historical and cultural ethos of the country. The reply further revealed that among the seven-member jury, Dr T Kumar, who was representing cultural ministry was not present in any of the three meetings.

“She was appointed by the finance ministry but the ministry does not have any record of the reasons of her absence,” Khatri said.

In the meetings of September 29-30, yet again three jury members including T Kumar were absent.

“As per the guidelines, the symbol has to be in the Indian national language script or a visual representation. But Kumar’s design is a combination of Devnagari and Roman script which is also a violation of the guidelines,” Khatri said.

Khatri also claimed that as per guidelines, a participant could have sent a maximum of two entries while Kumar had sent four designs which was a clear violation. “The ministry confirmed that they received four designs from Kumar but they considered the first two designs as the entry. When asked about which two came to finance ministry first, the ministry was not able to produce any document supporting that claim,” Khatri said.

info.master

Two of the unsuccessful candidates have claimed that the selection process to choose the new rupee symbol is full of discrepancies and is flawed. The duo — Anil Khatri and R K Singh — have used RTI replies given by the finance ministry to assert their claim. Designs of both were short-listed, but they didn’t make it to the last five.

How to handle this kind of reporting guys ? Most of the time media even don't care to publish the whistleblower story while some do they start painting the RTI activist as criminals or ingenious personality.

info.master
As reported by Mayank Agarwal in dnaindia.com on 18 July 2010:

'Flaws in selection of rupee symbol' - dnaindia.com

'Flaws in selection of rupee symbol'

New Delhi: Days after its selection by the finance ministry, the symbol of the rupee has got embroiled in a controversy. Two of the unsuccessful candidates have claimed that the selection process to choose the new rupee symbol is full of discrepancies and is flawed. The duo — Anil Khatri and R K Singh — have used RTI replies given by the finance ministry to assert their claim. Designs of both were short-listed, but they didn’t make it to the last five.

Replying to a RTI application, the Union finance ministry told them that a total of 3,331 designs were finally put up for selection of which five designs were short-listed. The process that had started in February last year culminated after the Union Cabinet selected the entry by D Udaya Kumar.

The five designs were selected by a seven-member special jury, comprising representatives of the Union government, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), and prominent art institutes like the National Institute of Design and the JJ Institute of Applied Art.

The designs were chosen in three meetings — September 29-30 and November 16 last year — in a span of 17 hours. Going by calculations, on average the jury spent 18.37s on every design, Singh said.

“The RTI reply also revealed that during the selection process jury members were not provided with brief explanations of design. The jury was just handed over the 3,331 designs and of those they selected five. It is disturbing that jury just went by design and not the explanation behind it,” Singh claimed.

While selecting (the symbol), the jury did not give any grades or marks. The grading or marks were only done when the five candidates made a final presentation before jury on Dec 15, 2009,” Singh told DNA.

The ministry admitted that they did not upload the Hindi version of the guidelines on the Internet, which Singh said was a violation of Rajbhasha Act. As per the guidelines, the symbol should represent the historical and cultural ethos of the country. The reply further revealed that among the seven-member jury, Dr T Kumar, who was representing cultural ministry was not present in any of the three meetings.

“She was appointed by the finance ministry but the ministry does not have any record of the reasons of her absence,” Khatri said.

In the meetings of September 29-30, yet again three jury members including T Kumar were absent.

“As per the guidelines, the symbol has to be in the Indian national language script or a visual representation. But Kumar’s design is a combination of Devnagari and Roman script which is also a violation of the guidelines,” Khatri said.

Khatri also claimed that as per guidelines, a participant could have sent a maximum of two entries while Kumar had sent four designs which was a clear violation. “The ministry confirmed that they received four designs from Kumar but they considered the first two designs as the entry. When asked about which two came to finance ministry first, the ministry was not able to produce any document supporting that claim,” Khatri said.

Down below is Hindi article which suppose to be translation of above content .. check out your self where they had missed the content MISTAKENLY

नई दिल्ली.रुपया समस्याओं को पैदा करता है और सफलता विवादों को। भारतीय रुपए का नया प्रतीक भी इन दोनों से अछूता नहीं बचा। दो असफल प्रत्याशियों ने दावा किया है कि प्रतीक चिन्ह के चयन में खासा घालमेल हुआ व ये दोषपूर्ण रहा। अनिल खत्री और आरके सिंह ने अपने दावे को पुष्ट करने के लिए वित्त मंत्रालय द्वारा मुहैया कराए गए आरटीआई जवाब का सहारा लिया है। दोनों ही के डिजाइन चयनित हुए थे, लेकिन अंतिम पांच तक वे नहीं पहुंच सके।

एक आरटीआई याचिका के जवाब में केंद्रीय वित्त मंत्रालय ने उनको बताया कि कुल 3,331 डिजाइन चयन के लिए आए, जिनमें से 5 को शॉर्ट लिस्ट किया था। 2009 फरवरी में शुरू हुई प्रक्रिया इस हप्ते तब खत्म हुई, जब केंद्रीय कैबिनेट ने एक डिजाइन का चयन कर लिया।

पांच डिजाइनों का चयन सात सदस्यीय विशेष ज्यूरी ने किया। इनमें केंद्र सरकार के प्रतिनिधि, आरबीआई के नुमाइंदे और प्रमुख कला संस्थानों जैसे, जेजे इंस्टीट्यूट और नेशनल इंस्टीट्यूट ऑफ डिजाइन के प्रतिनिधि थे। तीन बैठकों में इनका चयन हुआ। कुल सत्रह घंटे चली बैठक पिछले वर्ष 29-30 सितंबर और 16 नवंबर को हुई थी। अगर हिसाब लगाया जाए तो हरेक डिजाइन पर ज्यूरी ने केवल 18.37 सेकंड का समय दिया।

सिंह के मुताबिक, आरटीआई का जवाब यह भी बतलाता है कि चयन प्रक्रिया के दौरान सदस्यों को डिजाइन की जानकारी नहीं दी गई थी। उनको बस 3,331 डिजाइन दे दिए गए। उनमें से उन्होंने 5 को चुन लिए। सिंह ने यह भी कहा कि चयन के समय ज्यूरी ने कोई ग्रेड या नंबर नहीं दिए थे। जब 5 अंतिम प्रत्याशियों ने अपनी प्रस्तुति दी, तभी उनको ग्रेड दिए गए।

मंत्रालय ने स्वीकार किया कि उन्होंने इंटरनेट पर दिशा-निर्देश हिंदी में नहीं दिए, जो राजभाषा ऐक्ट का उल्लंघन है। जहां तक निर्देशों का सवाल है तो प्रतीक को पूरे देश के ऐतिहासिक और सांस्कृतिक मूल्यों का प्रतिनिधित्व करना चाहिए था। जवाब से यह भी खुलासा हुआ कि सात सदस्यीय में संस्कृति मंत्रालय का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाले सदस्य तीनों में से किसी बैठक में शामिल नहीं थ।

जिस सदस्य पर सवालिया निशान उठ रहे हैं, वह संस्कृति मंत्रालय में संयुक्त सचिव डॉ टीकुमार हैं। उन्होंने किसी भी बैठक में शिरकत नहीं की। खत्री बताते हैं कि कुमार की नियुक्ति वित्त मंत्रालय ने की थी, लेकिन उनकी उपस्थिति का कोई जवाब मंत्रालय के पास नहीं है। 29-30 सितंबर तक चली मैराथन बैठक के दौरान भी तीन सदस्य अनुपस्थित थे। रुपए का प्रतीक जिस डिजाइन को बनाया गया है, वह आईआईटी बांबे के पोस्ट ग्रैजुएट छात्र डी उदय कुमार का है। उनकों ढाई लाख रुपए काल पुरस्कार भी मिला है।

info.master

Newspaper Print News : indianrupeesymbolrtinew.jpg

Atul Patankar

As reported by harish V Nair at hindustantimes.com on November 23, 2010

Four months after it was approved, the new symbol for the Indian Rupee, designed by IIT-ian Uday Kumar, is back in news for different reasons.

An RTI activist has moved Delhi High Court challenging the selection process and the public competition organised by the finance ministry to choose the symbol, terming it “full of discrepancies” and “flawed”.

The petition, filed by Rakesh Kumar, who participated in the competition, names the finance ministry and Usha Thorat, chairman of jury in the Indian Rupee Symbol Selection Committee, as respondents.

The matter is to be taken up by the court soon.

The Centre’s defence counsel Jatan Singh denied all the charges and said complete transparency had been followed in the selection procedure. He said there were 2,696 entries of which 226 were short-listed. Five made it to the final rounds and the website was updated regularly with all details.

He said the process that had started in February last year culminated after the Union Cabinet selected the entry by Uday Kumar in July 2010.

In his petition, Rakesh Kumar claims the selection process was in utter violation of the prescribed finance ministry guidelines of ‘public competition’.

He alleged that winner Uday Kumar had submitted four designs against the maximum two allowed, and the chosen selection is just an imitation of the symbols for the Yen and the Euro. “Participants were told the symbol should be in the Indian national language script”, he contended.

sharadphadke

[*]According to “Symbol for Indian Rupee” guidelines “The symbol should be applicable to standard keyboard” what that means?

[*]Did each and every entry have been thoroughly analysed before considering eligible?

Looking forward for quick response from you guys.. Thanks in advance from group of Indian designers who want to fight against Indian bureaucracy...

I have tried my every means to find how this symbol can be put in any document using "Shift" "Crtl" "Alt" combination but did not pass this test my self. I measurably failed in my knowledge.

Earlier Crtl+125 or Alt+35 used to generate diff. symbols and hint is seen if you open symbol in word document but here there is no clue.

At least in Rupee font available there should have been some clue, but I failed in that also. I could insert this symbol in document but could not generate it with "Std. Key Board." of my computer.

You may ask "process set to generate this symbol with std. key board"