News Ticker
gaganvyas

Road tax refund from RTO

gaganvyas

I moved my vhicle from Bangalore to Pune about 1.5 years back. As a procedure I was supposed to re-register my vehicle in Pune after paying life time road tax. I have already paid the tax in bangalore which i was eligible for refund. getting my vehicle re-registered was a frustuating process. finally when i got it registred in Pune after paying huge sum as tax. I applied for a refund from bangalore RTO. As I was aware it was difficult task to get the money refund from RTO. lot of the people on websites has written there plea dealing with refund. I decided that I am not going to give up till I succeed with this, no matter whatever it takes.

After waiting 4 months for the refund, I filed RTI with transport department of karnataka for the status of my refund and reason for delay. To my surprise I got the reply within a month along with the refund orders.

The reply was very sincere and they mentioned the delay was due to non-communication from Pune RTO about genuinity of the registraton. As the process of refund they verify the genuinity of new registration from the state. I was really shocked to see that pune rto did not reply to 2 reminders and letters from bangalore RTO.

As part of reply I got the detail of communication between pune RTO and bangalore RTO I am planning to raise an RTI to pune RTO asking why they did not reply and how many such reply are pending. may be this will help people who are waiting for ever due to this reason.

This was my first RTI application. I am sure without RTI and help from this forum this would have not been possible. Thanks to the founders and members of the forum for all the help, leads and support.

This has given me a confidence and motivation to fight for common cause and I am planning to continue with my efforts.

Thanks again

Gagan

• Like 6

ambrish.p

Dear Gagan

Congratulations on your success.

regards

• Like 1

K C S Kutty

Dear Gagan,

Congratulations on your success in getting Road tax refund. I transferred my vehicle from Pune (MH-14) on my transfer to Kannur, Kerala. I did not get refund of the road tax paid and I had to give up. After getting NOC from Pune and getting it registered it in Kannur took one year and five months, because MH-14 RTO did not give confirmation of NOC. RTI Act was not passed at that time.

ksjos

dear gagan,

I'm also moving my vehicle from pune to trivandrum, kerala. Had registered my veh in jan 2009 in pune. Had requested for one year registration being central govt employee but the same was not available in pune. had paid full tax. Please advice me how to get the registration changed and how to get the refund from Pune. regards.. jos email XXXXX@YYYYY (email not permitted)

cmanoj

Gagan

Hi Gagan,

Thanks a lot for this informative post and thanks for the patietence and determination you have shown for getting something which is our right.

I have exactly same situation like you. Two years back I moved from Bangalore to Pune and after lot of hastle finally I could get a MH-12 numberplate. Now I am going to submit refund form to Bangalore RTO. As I don't have any relatives or close friends in Bangalore, I searched the Bangalore website and got all the information. Now I am planning to submit the documents by registered post.

One question which is unsolved as I could not get a appropriate answer from Bangalore RTO even after calling them. May be you know the right way. I am still not sure if I should attach my original road tax receipt or a photo copy will do ? I am just afraid to attach the original because if they misplace it and later demand for it then I am gone. But at the same time if that is really necessary then I will sure attach the original.

If you know the answer then please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Manoj

gaganvyas

Manoj,

You just need to attach a photocopy of the original tax reciept.

For the detail of how to apply for tax refund please go through the thread :http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/40092-road-tax-refund-status-bangalore-rto.html in the forum.

Thanks

Gagan

pratapbhanur

Dear Gagan,

I have a little different story, I brought car from MP on 27/5/2007 & applied for reregistration in Pune on 27/8/2007. Pune handed over smart card on 14/1/2008. after getting smart card I applied for refund to RTO Vidisha MP on 29/1/2008. RTO didnot reply till 4 months. I sent RTI letter & got reply on 13/6/2008 a vegue that because of time bar the refund can not be affected, without mentioning date & details. I took up case with TC Gwalior, but he also didnot reply. finally I filed case in consumer forum pune against RTO vidisha & TC Gwalior for defficiency in service. Case is going on, now hereing is on 20./11/20010. I will be gratefull if you can send me the Karnataka rules about 6 months time for application from new registration date as it is not seen in MP.? even a lettr of Karnatalk RTO will help, I made RTO pune also a party, pl. call me if you get some time.Thanks,

P. B. RAGHUVANSHI

MOBILE # XXXXXXXXXXXX - Deleted mobile number - posting against forum rules

gaganvyas

I salute your patience and the commitment for dragging them to consumer forum. I never heard of any such time limit to apply for tax refund. And, there should not be any limit as its your money laying with government.

I moved my vehicle in june 2007 and applied for tax refund in aug 2008. I never got this issue from bangalore RTO.

Please take them to the law and teach them a lesson. If you get success, share your experience with the group.

All the best.

Thanks

Gagan

pratapbhanur

Dear Mr. Gagan,

Many thanks for ur prompt response. I got delayed pl. excuse me.

I have gone through lot of Rules Pertaining to CMVR 1988 & also Maharashtra Motor Vehicle act.

It is clearly mentioned that any body can bring in car in the maharashtra & need not register again

if it is for not more than 12 months to take back to orignal state.

If not than only one need to apply for new registration Mark. How ever one must declare to Rto that

this car is for 12 months in the state & pay the tax as per stay period.

Lot more once I gert clear picture in the court on 20th nov. I also searched web site & found more than 7 cases wher consumer forum had given decision against RTO's.

Hope sharing this info will help many other colleagues.

Regards,

pbr

paletisurender

Hi Gagan and ALL,

I moved my vehicle from Bangalore to Hyderabad about 1.5 years back. As a procedure I was supposed to re-register my vehicle in Hyderabad after paying life time road tax. I have already paid the tax in bangalore which i was eligible for refund. getting my vehicle re-registered was a frustuating process. finally when i got it registred in HYD after paying huge sum as tax. I applied for a refund from bangalore RTO. As I was aware it was difficult task to get the money refund from RTO. lot of the people on websites has written there plea dealing with refund. I decided that I am not going to give up till I succeed with this, no matter whatever it takes. (like Gagan, many thx! for info)

Took 5 months to get new registration number her in HYD without approaching any broker.

I filed RTI with transport department of karnataka for the status of my refund and reason for delay. I got reply that RTA Hyderabad is pending with confirmation letter.I really and sincerely thank Bangalore RTA for their Quick response and sad to hear anything from HYD RTA. Let me see. How far am I from cheque? Gagan, how did u receive refund? Was it deposited into ur account or received DD?

Thanks again

Gagan

paletisurender

Above reply from, P Surender

drajeev

One of the my friend was the user of vehicle of TATA motors. after some time he left to Panjb taking noc from pune rto as motor car sold to him,at Punjab they took one year tax & transfer the vehicale on him name & didnot change RC book & number of vhicle.After one year he came back to panvel by taking noc to panvel rto for change of address

Now Panvel rto insisting to pay road tax or bring information from pune rto stating that tax refund is not taken agaist this vehicale.Pune rto is delaying to giving such infomation .

HOW Panvel RTO insisting to bring such information since the original RC book of maharashtra is with him & as per refund rule,vehicale must rgistered in other state & would have taken new number.

If we transfer the vehicale to other state then we have to apply refund of tax within 6 months if not your road tax will not get refunded & if you bring this vehicale again in Maharasahtra you will have to pay tax.It means Maharashtra RTO can recover tax two time on same vehicale

RND

jrajpal

Hey Gagan,

Good to know you got the tax refund, could you please help me with the sample of the letter you wrote to Banglore RTA for RTI and to who it was addressed.

Regards,

J

srikanth_b

Hi psurender/Gagan,

I am in similar situation to some extent as yours and in dire need of your help.

I brought my vehicle with NOC in hand from Bangalore to Hyderabad about 10 months ago and finished all formalities like paying road tax again and trying to re-register here in HYD. However, since last 5 months, there has not been a communication received from Bangalore RTO to Hyderabad RTO to issue clearance on the vehicle registration and hence my vehicle registration got stuck.

I have not been able to travel to bangalore and check with them.

Can any one of you please help me out? I would need agent name who can resolve my issue at the earliest. Otherwise, I would like to get contact details of someone in RTO office itself if possible.

Once I get re-registered, I have another task of applying for tax refund.

Mobile - (Posting of mob. no. is against RTI India - Forum Rules - hence deleted)

gaganvyas

Hi Mr Rajpal

Normally, HYD RTO wait for an stipulated time for reply on the clearance.The rule may differe from state to state. As far as I remember I did not have to face this issue with Pune RTO.

If you have access to the letter send by hyd RTO to bangalore RTO regarding clearance you can file and RTI with the information. You don't need to personally visit bangalore for this.

The same non-communication delays process of refund. when you file for refund in bangalore they send a letter to new RTO where you registered the vehicle. and the RTO never bother to reply to it... this keep you refund application pending till you hit them with a RTI.

Thanks

Gagan

dvishwas

Hi Pratap,

I belong to Pune and planning to stay back in Hyderabad for 1 year.

The option to pay for 12 months looks good to me. Can you please let me know some further information about it? I mean what will be the charges for 12 months and what if I would like to extend my stay for 1 more year?

If you have any relevant document that can help me in this regard then please forward it to me. My name is Vishwas Deshmane and mail address is my posting of email id is not allowed

Thanks & Regards,

Vishwas Deshmane

ksjos

thx gagan.

i am yet to get refund from RTO pune after transfer of my vehicle to Trivandrum in 2010 bought in 2009 tried for yearly payment which was that time not available in pune). when i call them the reply is that if it is within the time limit refund will be made. is there any time limit for claiming the refund. think should follow ur line and ask thru rti.

thx.

jos

Rajuvadnala

Hi Surender,

I planning for relocation to Hyderabad from Bangalore and want to re-register my bike in Hyderabad. Can you kindly share the procedure for applying refund from Bangalore RTO after re-registering in Hyderabad. Can it be done by post ?. Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Prasad GLN

A personal visit to RTA solves all problems.

First get NOC from Bangalore, with Police NOC, incorporating in RC book and carry a copy with you.

2.Show those documents, provide photo identity proof, address proof register it in Hyderabad.

3.After getting Registration at Hyderabad, collect all copies of tax payments and new number and then apply to Bangalore office for refund. Ensure that Hyderabad office sends all details as expeditiously as possible and collect service proof from Hyderabad office .

4.Wait for a month then file RTI Application seeking information for time frame fixed for such refunds under Citizen charter and reasons for inordinate delay.

5.Wait for another 40 days then file first appeal to FAA, RTI, RTO office Bangalore and also issue notice bly Registered post seeking compensation for harassment due to negligence alleging deficiency of service.

Rajuvadnala

Hi Prasad,

Thank you for your generous response. It would be great if you can help me with below queries.

After re registration in Hyderabad, do i need to personally go to Bangalore RTO and submit refund (form 16) application or can it be done by post. One more thing is, i have seen in many cases when asking about refund, old RTO usually gives an excuse like non communication from new RTO. so how can i make sure that Hyderabad RTO sends vehicle migration (CTRI) confirmation.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using RTI INDIA mobile app

Prasad GLN

It can be done by through post (Regd Ack due) with all necessary documents. Ask a friend of yours in Bangalore to make a follow up at Bangalore and follow up at Hyderabad personally in case of difficulty. Now the situation has improved after fixing of time frame and accountability.

Rajuvadnala

Thank you Prasad. Hoping for smooth transition of my vehicle.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1S using RTI INDIA mobile app

Prasad GLN

RTI is just like a knife. That means you can threaten, cut and use it in various ways. Whenever there is delay, you can seek time frame fixed for settling the task as per citizen charter, information seeking reasons for inordinate delay, names of employees responsible for the delay, their designation and telephone numbers, and the name of official, designation, address, mobile no that can redress the grievance. Once this application is filed, it serves as a powerful reminder. Finally, if one is capable as there is deficiency of service, a Regd. notice can also be issued for deficiency of services as consideration was paid for the service. But definitely amount will be refunded and it depends on good follow up and not on routine basis by that public authority..

Remember that this is the only procedure of dealing with all delays in the works connected to all Public authorities.

rajeshkm

I moved my car from Bangalore to Kerala and got it registered with Kerala. Now i need to apply for road tax refund from Bangalore. I wanted to know, is there a time frame with in which the refund application has to be sent to Bangalore RTO? Like i got NOC in June, is there any criteria like i need to apply with in 6 month from NOC date? or something similar?

- - - Updated - - -

I moved my car from Bangalore to Kerala and got it registered with Kerala. Now i need to apply for road tax refund from Bangalore. I wanted to know, is there a time frame with in which the refund application has to be sent to Bangalore RTO? Like i got NOC in June, is there any criteria like i need to apply with in 6 month from NOC date? or something similar?

- - - Updated - - -