Jump to content
sidmis

Vasant Kunj Fortis has no water supply

Recommended Posts

sidmis

Vasant Kunj Fortis has no water supply

as reported by Jaya Shroff Bhalla in Hindustan Times, New Delhi, June 02, 2010

 

It is South Delhi’s biggest private hospital with more than 200 beds and is also accredited by the Quality Council of India (QCI).

But Fortis Flt. Lt. Rajan Dhall Hospital in Vasant Kunj is ‘parched’. The hospital needs about 100 kilolitres per day but it doesn’t have a water permit from the Delhi Jal Board (DJB).

 

The hospital gets eight water tankers every day to meet its demand ever since the Fortis group took over the hospital from the Rajan Dhall Charitable Trust in July 2006.

The Delhi Development Authority had allotted land to the trust. The Delhi government claimed that it has no information whether they (the trust) sold the plot to Fortis.

 

A Right to Information (RTI) application to the QCI has revealed that the water supplied to the private hospital is by way of tankers, as the hospital does not have a water permit.

 

“It is ironic how the QCI, the healthcare quality regulation body, gave quality accreditation to the hospital that does not even have an approved building plan,” said Dr B.N.P. Singh, retired air force doctor who is now chief executive officer of Medivision Consultancy, a consortium of ex-defence officers.

 

“Till the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) does not approve the building, the DJB cannot provide a fresh water supply,” he said.

The hospital negated his claims.

 

“The building plans for Fortis, Vasant Kunj, are sanctioned and approved by the appropriate authorities,” said Ranjana Smetacek, director, marketing and corporate communication, Fortis. She, however, did not give HT the specific dates as to when the licences were procured.

 

“Our application with the Delhi Jal Board is pending. The water requirements of the hospital are being met by the daily procurement of water tankers. This water is then treated in the hospital’s state-of-the-art-water treatment plant before use,” she said.

 

Dr Singh has sent a copy of the RTI reply to Sujatha Rao, Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, highlighting the “selective compromise” of the QCI where they have given NABH accreditation to Fortis without verifying the basic building completion documents.

 

On March 19, Delhi Health Minister Kiran Walia had slapped the hospital with a show-cause notice for functioning without a completion certificate from the MCD.

 

Vasant Kunj Fortis has no water supply- Hindustan Times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • karira
      By karira
      RTI reply blasts private hospitals
      Prashant Hamine
      Friday, June 15, 2007 09:44 IST
      Contrary to providing free beds and concessional rates, the 525 victims in the 7/11 serial bomb blasts last year have been charged medical expenses at commercial rates by private hospitals.
       
      This has come to light in a reply given by Western Railway to a Right to Information (RTI) application filed by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) former MP Dr Kirit Somaiya. However, speaking to DNA on Wednesday, official spokespersons for Jaslok and Hinduja hospitals denied the charge.
       
      The Railways made a payment of Rs3,16,42,234 crore for the victims who were treated at 21 major private hospitals across the city. The state and central governments had announced that they would foot the expenses of victims undergoing treatment at private hospitals.
       
      The hospitals were directed to forward medical bills of blast victims. According to the information given by the Western Railways, private hospitals were charging Rs500 to Rs800 for patients in their General Wards.
       
      The bed charges ranged from Rs600 to Rs750 per day, visiting charges of Interns and Resident Medical Officers ranged from Rs200 to Rs600 as well as other charges.
       
      Executive Director of Jaslok Hospital, Colonel (retired) BS Khemani denied the charge. He said that comatose patient Amit Singh was initially admitted to JJ Hospital and then shifted to Jaslok hospital on July 13 and given a free bed. “Singh and other patients were charged at subsidised rates,” he added.
       
      PD Hinduja Hospital sources said comatose patient Parag Sawant was provided with common category bed accommodation and no commercial rates were charged.
       
      DNA - Mumbai - RTI reply blasts private hospitals - Daily News & Analysis
    • karira
      By karira
      Sassoon lab technician sacked
       
      PUNE: The Right to Information Act, 2005 is facing one of its most critical tests in Pune where bureaucrats at the Sassoon hospital have terminated the services of an employee within four weeks of a landmark RTI ruling.
       
      After admitting under the RTI Act that lab technician Vaishali Kalekar was kept on a temporary post for 13 years due to administrative lapses, the Sassoon administration on June 18 swiftly terminated her services.
       
      Ironically, the same administration had informed regional information commissioner Vijay V. Kuvalekar during a hearing on May 8 that a proposal to regularise Kalekar’s service had been forwarded to the government. Also, that her annual increment and pending dues till June 2007 would be paid as per the Fifth Pay Commission recommendations.
       
      Following these assurances, Kuvalekar’s May 22 ruling had not only paved the way for Kalekar’s regularisation of service but had also exposed the bureaucratic harassment suffered by her for the last 13 years.
       
      However, rather than honouring these commitments, the Sassoon hospital administration terminated her services following a development in the Bombay high court on June 18.
       
      As Kalekar’s lawyer, N.V. Vetlekar, was late in making his appearance in a writ petition on her Sassoon case, a high court bench comprising justices J.F. Ribero and R.M. Sawant dismissed her case “by default”.
       
      Pointing out that the case was dismissed on a technical point and not on merit, Kalekar’s appeal for restoration of her case in the Bombay high court is now slated for hearing on Friday.
       
      Although qualified with first class degrees in BSc (zoology) and BSc-applied BM Tech (pathology, radiology and medical instrumentation), the Sassoon administration in its record erroneously maintained for over a decade that Kalekar did not have the minimum qualifications for the post.
       
      Sassoon hospital’s appellate authority under RTI, Dr Arun V. Jamkar (dean, B.J. Medical College), acknowledged that Kalekar’s petition was dismissed “as the opposite side’s lawyer was not there”.
       
      Asked whether Kalekar’s termination order was contradictory to the admission of bureaucratic lapses made by the Sassoon hospital before the RTI information commissioner, Dr Jamkar said, “We admitted to RTI that information was not given in proper time and we have acknowledged that mistake.”
       
      He justified her termination by stating: “She was all the time under some stay in the high court. Since she lost in the court, we have terminated her service. Her entry was not regular and as per Supreme Court decision, if proper recruitment is not followed, she has no right on the post.”
       
      Kalekar’s advocate Vetlekar said that besides seeking restoration of her case in the high court, Kalekar has filed a civil application that “the order of termination be withdrawn and Sassoon hospital be directed to take her back on employment.”
       
      Kalekar joined the Sassoon hospital through the University of Pune employment exchange on May 16, 1994 and has been battling for regularisation of service since then.
       
      Sassoon lab technician sacked-Pune-Cities-The Times of India
       
       

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy