News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
karira

Status of RTI at Regional Passport Office, Hyderabad - Am I Mad ?

ganpat1956

Karira, this order is the real "icing on the cake"---the cake being your accomplishment of 25000 posts at our portal!! Keep it up!!!

aslamkhan

Kariraji thanks for the training once again. keep up the good work.....

alphaalpha

Kariraji,

My heartfelt congratulations on your well deserved victory! Only a person with great inner strength could take on the establishment like you have, and prevail!

Most people would have just given up sooner than later. To be abused like that at the passport office! And I can just imagine the typical contempt shown by the so called 'public servants' when serving the public, and how they would have treated you when you eventually got inside the premises for inspection!

And then to be brushed aside by the FAA! Just like that! It shows that they have never been challenged in the past.

I was appalled to read earlier in your post about how even the IC was treating your appeal in a trivial manner and you had to read her the riot act! At least she came through for you in the end! Good for you sir! And we are all the beneficiaries of your success. Many people might not know how horrible it is dealing with the RPO at Secunderabad. A cursory glance at the letters to the editor on any given day is enough to show that something is rotten in that place.

Now to go beyond just this victory: may I urge you to lead more people in your community to be effective RTI activists. Perhaps the next time you take on something like the RPO, you might consider calling for volunteers to help you? You see, it is one thing to read about your strife and feel good about it. But how many of us would go the whole way to accomplish what you did without throwing in the towel somewhere along the line? It would be a privilege to walk with you on your next successful journey!

Congratulations, again!

• Like 1

Prashantvikey
Attached is the order of the CIC in this matter.

CIC has ordered:

1. Supply of information

2. Show Cause notice to PIO for Penalty

3. I have to give break up of Rs 50,000 compensation sought

4. Enquiry by the FAA for the staff hurling abuses at me

5. Compliance of Sec 4(1)(b) by all passport offices

6. Training on RTI for all officers and staff in all passport offices in India

7. Advise to FAA to be more careful in disposal of first appeal

Absolutely Brilliant Sir.

Ketan Modi

Karira Sir,

A request from all of us. Why not file another application after three months and seek details of how the CIC directive was implemented and number of employees trained, the method adopted for imparting training, if RTI workers were requested to join the training programme. You would be the best person to do this and share the information with all of us. The order in your case can also be cited while dealing with other lax public authorities. Happy information seeking.

Ketan Modi

dr.s.malhotra

Karira ji has done wonderful job . fantastic .

milked an ox .

I would love to see to plead a case before a Singh .

dr.s.malhotra

Karira ji is the Einstein of RTI , he is not mad .

His zeal and passion for the cause is infectious , adorable . I wish people like him take the seat of Information Commissioners in the country . That will be the day when Right to Information will be guaranteed to the citizens .

For being an Information Commissioner , you require this fire to do good to the society .

We do not need cretches .

• Like 1

javaji321

News Release about 50K fine notice to Hyd RPO

==============

CIC issues notice to Hyderabad passport office

HYDERABAD: The Central Information Commission (CIC) on Wednesday issued a notice to Regional Passport Office, Hyderabad on why a Rs 50,000-penalty should not be imposed on him for allegedly harassing and abusing a Right To Information applicant apart from withholding information from him. A Secunderabad resident C J Karira had filed an RTI application in May 2010 asking for information about the enquiry numbers, email ids and name board of Personal Information Officers (PIO) and also asked to inspect the “work” of the officers and staff who attend to telephones and e-mails received from passport applicants.

He was asked by the PIO to come on any working day during office hours. But when Karira visited the RPO office, the security guards obstructed and abused him. When he managed to reach the enquiry office, he noticed that the board displaying the names and details of PIO kept behind a dusty computer table. “The PIO should disclose the information and the ministry of external affairs should conduct an inquiry into the conduct of the security guards in the passport office as well as the refusal of the staff to accept RTI applications. The report is to be submitted by August 30,” information commissioner Annapurna Dixit said.

=====

Source:

http://expressbuzz.com/cities/hyderabad/cic-issues-notice-to-hyderabad-passport-office/298681.html

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cic-issues-notice-to-hyderabad-passport-office/170968-60-121.html

karira
I wish people like him take the seat of Information Commissioners in the country .

I don't qualify - I am not yet 60 !

(He He He LOL !)

smbhappy

Dear Karira,

There is no such qualification that a Intimation Commissioner Incumbent should be 60.

The State Chief Information Commissioner and the State Information Commissioners shall be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance.

The State Chief Information Commissioner or a State Information Commissioner shall not be a Member of Parliament or Member of the Legislature of any State or Union territory, as the case may be, or hold any other office of profit or connected with any political party or carrying on any business or pursuing any profession.

You have all these properties and you are one up on others. So Cheers.

aslamkhan

(joking) wait wait wait If mr.Karira indeed becomes CIC/SIC then we will be the one's who will be writing against him too. because after sitting on the chair every thing changes.......

karira
Dear Karira,

There is no such qualification that a Intimation Commissioner Incumbent should be 60.

Officially there is no age limit. But every person is made IC only after reaching 60 - maybe the Government wants only "sanyasis" to become ICs.

karira
(joking) wait wait wait If mr.Karira indeed becomes CIC/SIC then we will be the one's who will be writing against him too. because after sitting on the chair every thing changes.......

That is so true !

So it will be back to square one.

And I will be reading everything without being able to say anything.

aslamkhan
That is so true !

So it will be back to square one.

And I will be reading everything without being able to say anything.

So it is better Mr.Karira stays with rtiindia.org & help the citizen of the nation then to become SIC/CIC . what he is doing here is better then what he will do as SIC/CIC.

smbhappy
Officially there is no age limit. But every person is made IC only after reaching 60 - maybe the Government wants only "sanyasis" to become ICs.

This is the agony. The present rulers are accommodating their choicest one on the (gubernatorial like) post and make a mockery of the RTI regime.

john.n

Sir,

I understand your concerns,I have got the same concerns and experiences.

In Accountant General's office at ahmedabad,I was stopped by security and they asked whom I wanted to meet.I said I want to meet PIO and submit my RTI application and fee of Rs.10/-.They misunderstood and laughed at me as they felt I was walking in for a "govt job".They advised me to do some business instead.But I said it was official and I wanted to meet they asked me to name the person to meet with.I didnt have the name of PIO.They called with "bada saheb" and he told them to throw me out and said there is no such act.no information.

We as a public are responsible for this menace,aren't we?do we live in a democratic country or in a hell like a banana republic or an african zaire or kongo or somaliya ?

The job security given to the govt servants has made govt servants unruly and non-sense pay and bribe eaters.

As far as your query is concerned,you can file a complaint directly under sec 18(1)(f) to CIC telling your version and explaining to them how you were obstructed and prevented from meeting with the PIO.

If you are a gutter fighter and have a courage,you can also file a writ under article 32 of the constitution of india directly to the supreme court.But for this you would have to approach the "advocate on record" of the supreme court of India.As right to information is a fundamental right,a writ directly to the supreme court would sustain.

karira

As far as your query is concerned,you can file a complaint directly under sec 18(1)(f) to CIC telling your version and explaining to them how you were obstructed and prevented from meeting with the PIO.

If you are a gutter fighter and have a courage,you can also file a writ under article 32 of the constitution of india directly to the supreme court.But for this you would have to approach the "advocate on record" of the supreme court of India.As right to information is a fundamental right,a writ directly to the supreme court would sustain.

It seems you have only read the leading post in this thread. There are 2 pages previous to this one - contain total 40 posts. Matter already went up to CIC and the order is on the previous pages.

karira

Just to make sure that this is really a "success story".....

I realised that none of the "directions" of the CIC have been complied with.

So had to file another 2 RTIs - one each with the CIC and the MEA to make sure there is compliance:

The copies are attached to this post.

RTI to CIC for compliance of Passport office order.pdf

RTI to MEA for compliance of Passport office order.pdf

Ketan Modi

Karira Sir,

This is fantastic. Thanks for complying with my previous advice on the subject. I wish they come up with funniest replies. By the way, did they pay you the 50K comp? I wish they are slammed with it. Happy information seeking.

Ketan Modi

karira
Karira Sir,

This is fantastic. Thanks for complying with my previous advice on the subject. I wish they come up with funniest replies. By the way, did they pay you the 50K comp? I wish they are slammed with it. Happy information seeking.

Ketan Modi

No news on the compensation as yet.

abhijain

dont you think in this case of compensation consumer complaint will be helpful?

karira
dont you think in this case of compensation consumer complaint will be helpful?

No idea. Never tried consumer complaint under CPA ever.

abhijain

Why not consult with dr. s. malhotra and jps50. These days I am following blog of jps50 labeled with consumer and I got valuable information.

I am definately sure that consumer court is not like our high court and supreme court where we should need to give proof for each and everthing. consumer court in favour of natural justice and will take suitable action on complaint of consumer against opposite party. I hope you will make this issue more strong in the sprit of RTI .

karira

Received the reply from CPIO of CIC that none of the directions have been complied with.

Have therefore filed a Complaint of Non Compliance with the CIC and also asked for enhanced compensation.

The CPIOs reply and the copy of Complaint for non compliance are attached to this post.

CPIO CIC reply - MEA Compliance.pdf

Complaint against non compliance of CIC order.pdf

• Like 1

aslamkhan

thanks Mr.karira for uploading "Complaint against non compliance of CIC order" this would be of greater help to all the members.