News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
vireshnayar@hotmail.com

Quick Question

Question

vireshnayar@hotmail.com

Hello all, I am trying to find out if I can get a letter from the registrar of Marriages whether a marriage was registered or not.

Please help!

19 answers to this question

Shrawan

It's been long since your query was replied to, have you been able to get the information? To apparent conclusion, it appears to be 3rd party information, if it is conducted without the legal disclosure, which may be exempt under RTI Act.

But if you let us know in detail, we might be able to assist you further.

vireshnayar@hotmail.com

Dear Mr. Kushal,

Thank you for your follow-up, I appreciate it. No I have not been able to find any information regarding my enquiry. Just as a matter of suggestion, it would be a good idea to put links to various government agencies (including the registrar of marriages). A link which is really manned by someone.

Thanks,

Viresh

Shrawan

Would you care to put this suggestion in the Feedback and suggestion forum, as I think that is a really good suggestion. I am sure you mean to put the links to Government organizations especially like the Passport offices, MCD's, Registrar of Marriages, e.t.c.!

Abhinav Bohare

WHy not lets get everyones view on this as soon as possible by putting it in general dis. forum

Satish Gupta

Whether there was a marriage or not, is public information. It may be third party information in the sense you are inquiring whether two persons (assuming you are not one of them) but it is not confidential information. The purpose of the Registrar of Marriage is to make the records public. If you request the information giving the names of the parties, and the possible date, the Registrar should provide it. If not file a RTI petition.

karira
Whether there was a marriage or not, is public information. It may be third party information in the sense you are inquiring whether two persons (assuming you are not one of them) but it is not confidential information. The purpose of the Registrar of Marriage is to make the records public. If you request the information giving the names of the parties, and the possible date, the Registrar should provide it. If not file a RTI petition.

In addition to whhat Satish said above, please see:

Frequently Asked Questions on Marriages

In some cases (Special Marriage Act), the details of the Bride and Bridegroom have to be displayed on the public notice board.

Obviously this is public information and you can get the information you want.

aparna

If it is a court marriage, off course things will be different and can be accessed, however otherwise, the information does not appear to be in a public interest.

maneesh

Well said Aparna,

In case marriage is registered, the registrar of the marriage has to provide information under RTI.

If not marriage is not registered which happen in most of the marriages solemnized in India, It will be difficult to get the information.

karira

Maneesh,

Registration of ALL marriages is compulsory in India.

The Supreme Court had a made a ruling in this regard in February 2006.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Supreme_Court_makes_marriage_registration_compulsory/articleshow/msid-1414370,curpg-1.cms

There was some confusion about the applicability of this to non-Hindu marriages.

But, this was also clarified by the Supreme Court, this week:

Register all marriages, says SC- Hindustan Times

Satish Gupta

Existence or absence of marriage between two persons is PUBLIC INFORMATION. The very reason of having a registrar of marriage is to keep records of marriage in public area. You should not need RTI to get this information. The job of registrar is make this information available to public.

mpai
Hello all, I am trying to find out if I can get a letter from the registrar of Marriages whether a marriage was registered or not.

Yes, you can. Since many have already covered most points, I will not repeat them. These documents are also signed by two other witnesses ruling out the possibility of it being personal. The registration is also utilized for other purposes like loan, will, employment, change in name etc. (In most cases the bride changes her name.) You may recall that its mandatory for all change in names be declared public by printing in gazette or local newspapers. This was much before RTI came into force. As such all marriages come under the public domain.

You may use these arguments in case the PIO claims excemption.

Manoj

karira

Register marriages in all religions: SC

'All UTs, States must enact law in three months'

It is now official. Marriages under all religions will be registered. The Supreme Court on Thursday directed all States and Union Territories to bring a law to this effect within three months.

On February 14, 2006, the Supreme Court had directed all marriages in the country ought to be registered. But confusion prevailed over the court order since State and Union Territory Governments reported compliance under Hindu Marriage Act alone. The strict barriers of religion governing the custom of marriage and its registration rendered the Governments helpless to apply the court's decision uniformly.

The court order received mixed response from Muslim clerics. Maulana Khalid Rasheed, member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board and head of Lucknow's oldest Islamic seminary Firangi Mahal, expressed reservations against the order.

"'I fail to understand why should such a need arise in case of a Muslim marriage where a nikahnama is a good enough recorded evidence of marriage,'" Rasheed asked.

"After all, the Shariat Application Act of 1937 clearly allows Muslims to carry out their marriages and other religious rituals in the manner prescribed under Islam; and no law is supposed to override that right," he said.

However, All India Muslim Personal Law Board spokesman Qasim Rasool Ilyas downplayed the court's order.

"Islam asks its followers to register the marriages and there is nothing new in the apex court directive," he said. He, however, added the word "compulsory" should not be made part of the legislation.

Making clear its previous order, the Bench of Justices Arijit Pasayat and P Sathasivam said, "the States and Union Territories have to forthwith comply with the February 14, 2006 judgement and in no case later than three months from today." In doing so, the Bench asked the respective Governments to invite public response in framing rules providing for "consequences for non-registration of marriages."

The confusion had prevailed over the court's previous order since a host of laws govern marriages in the country. The latest order would now cover marriages under Special Marriage Act, Parsi Marriage Act, Christian Marriage Act, Foreign Marriage Act and the personal laws governing Muslim community as well.

The order initially was passed while dealing with a matrimonial dispute and amid criticism that a large number of spouses were involved in bigamous relationships in the absence of a proper mechanism to establish that a marriage indeed took place.

This loophole in law proved disadvantageous largely for women since they had no proof to defend their claim for maintenance and later to seek the custody of children born out of wedlock. After receiving suggestions from several quarters within the Government as also independent experts and organisations, the court accepted the suggestion of registration of marriages as a compulsory exercise. This was given a legal backing by passing of the order.

The bench felt that the purpose of this would be lost if the order would apply to Hindu marriages alone. For this purpose, the court regularly monitored the implementation of its order. States like Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and Tamil Nadu had not bothered to file their compliance report in the court when the matter came up for hearing in July this year.

On the previous date of hearing, the court even expressed its anxiety over the implementation of its order with regard to other religions, beside Hindus. "Why such rules cannot be made. Why not marriages in other religions be registered", the Bench said The court's anxiety was raised after senior advocate Ranjit Kumar, assisting the court as amicus curiae pointed out how States like West Bengal and Orissa had issued rules for registration of marriages in all religions. States of Assam, Bihar and Meghalaya too provided for registration of Muslim marriages.

The court had even invited suggestions from the National Commission for Women, which supported the court's decision for compulsory registration of marriages. A proposal to this effect had been pending action with the Government for the past 15 years.

The court had also sought response from the Centre with regard to framing of guidelines. Expressing its limitation to ensure implementation of the order, the Centre claimed that enacting legislation on this subject was squarely under the State jurisdiction.

Mixed response from Muslim clerics

AIMPL Board member Maulana Khalid Rasheed and head of Lucknow's oldest Islamic seminary Firangi Mahal express reservations against order

I fail to understand why should such a need arise in case of a Muslim marriage where a nikahnama is a good enough recorded evidence of marriage: Rasheed

AIMPLB spokesman Qasim Rasool Ilyas also downplays fresh order

The Pioneer > Home
  • Like 1

colnrkurup

Too informative a post. The opposition might be due to their apprehension that it might be a fore-runner of a Uniform civil code.

kanaiyalalgor

Hi,

Would like to check withe process of the Marriage registration.

Are both parties required to be there while registereing. I am an advocate. I have all the documents with me & i can produce all documents to the registrar with signatures, afidavite & all relevant documents.

Regards,

Kanaiyalal

taurus

Marriage is personal. To seek to know whether someone is married or not is trying to invade their privacy. Hence it falls under the exemption clause of the Act. Just because it is registered, it does not lose its private character.

karira
Hi,

Would like to check withe process of the Marriage registration.

Are both parties required to be there while registereing. I am an advocate. I have all the documents with me & i can produce all documents to the registrar with signatures, afidavite & all relevant documents.

Kanaiyalal

Yes, both parties have to be present.

Please visit:

Department of Stamps and Registration

Registration Of Marriage in India - laws related to marriage in India

Seasons India :: Marriage Registration Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions on Marriages

Marriage is personal. To seek to know whether someone is married or not is trying to invade their privacy. Hence it falls under the exemption clause of the Act. Just because it is registered, it does not lose its private character.

taurus,

I think you are not married ! You will discover soon.

(He He He He He LOL)

In India, marriage is the MOST public event you can ever think of.

Even MORE public than your death.

Haven't you attended any marriage in India ?

Even the Wedding Cards say "please be invited with family and friends" !

Please go through the whole thread....

- Marriage registration has become compulsory in India

- For registration notice has to be given and the notice is publicly displayed on the notice board in the Registrar's office for 30 days.

- Anything displayed in public is common public knowledge and in the public domain

Anjaney Shukla

Sir,

Please tell me the documents required for court marriage and also tell me the procedure.

plz

karira
Sir,

Please tell me the documents required for court marriage and also tell me the procedure.

plz

This portal is only meant for discussing issues related to the RTI Act.

You can try Big Helpers