rajibinindia

ICICI Bank Credit Cards: Recurring Unethical Practices

Question

rajibinindia

It is unfortunate that ICICI bank engages in unethical practices on a recurring basis that go against the norms of standard banking practices anywhere in the world.

I have repeatedly brought this matter to the notice of their enthusiastic customer service executives but they have refused/expressed inability to help ('ICICICARE=032-836-455). I do not understand how interest charges applied by the bank can be regarded as a "retail transaction."

Their bill is generated on the 5th and the credit limit is exceeded after application of the month's interest. All that is fine. However, the unacceptable part is, an overlimit charge is applied on the 7th (without even giving a chance to the customer to pay!) This has happened several times in the past and is again happening since the last 3/4 months.

I wrote to their Nodal Officer Shiva Tadikonda but he has not responded yet though telecallers have reminded me of my payment duty. I have written to Tadikonda that I would like him to invalidate the useless card and that I would be paying my dues in convenient installments.

4 answers to this question

karira

rajibinindia,

This portal is only meant for discussing issues related to the RTI Act 2005.

ICICI bank is a private entity and not covered directly under RTI.

Your problem seems to be a consumer problem/issue.

You can try: Big Helpers

rajibinindia

I appreciate your views. However my point is the Nodal Officers are appointed as per the Reserve Bank of India guidelines.

The Nodal Officer has not responded to the communication. I guess even if ICICI Bank is not answerable atleast RBI should be explaining by Nodal Officers of empaneled banks are not responding to customer complaints.

It is unfortunate that ICICI bank engages in unethical practices on a recurring basis that go against the norms of standard banking practices anywhere in the world.

I have repeatedly brought this matter to the notice of their enthusiastic customer service executives but they have refused/expressed inability to help ('ICICICARE=032-836-455). I do not understand how interest charges applied by the bank can be regarded as a "retail transaction."

Their bill is generated on the 5th and the credit limit is exceeded after application of the month's interest. All that is fine. However, the unacceptable part is, an overlimit charge is applied on the 7th (without even giving a chance to the customer to pay!) This has happened several times in the past and is again happening since the last 3/4 months.

I wrote to their Nodal Officer Shiva Tadikonda but he has not responded yet though telecallers have reminded me of my payment duty. I have written to Tadikonda that I would like him to invalidate the useless card and that I would be paying my dues in convenient installments.

karira

Under the RTI Act, you can only get "information" as defined in Sec 2(f) of the RTI Act.

I don't think that RBI will have any information as to why Nodal Officers are not responding.

You can complain to the Banking Ombudsman.

That is why I suggested the other site.

On this web portal we restrict ourselves to RTI related matters only.

rajibinindia

Thanks. I have already marked the mails to the Banking Ombudsman. Additionally a complaint has been lodged on CORE. Shall get back to you if required.

I appreciate your views. However my point is the Nodal Officers are appointed as per the Reserve Bank of India guidelines.

The Nodal Officer has not responded to the communication. I guess even if ICICI Bank is not answerable atleast RBI should be explaining by Nodal Officers of empaneled banks are not responding to customer complaints.