Atul Patankar

Corrupt babus are back at work

Atul Patankar

As reported at deccanchronicle.com on Jul 28 2010

July 27: Several of the 106 BBMP, BDA, police and KPTCL officers caught by the Lokayukta for corruption over the last four years are back at work in various postings and are drawing their salary as usual as the cases against them have still not gone to trial.

According to information obtained by Deccan Chronicle through the Right To Information (RTI) Act, the Lokayukta raided and trapped 54 police officers, 35 BBMP officials, 12 KPTCL and five BDA officers in various acts of corruption over the last four years. In the years since at least one officer has died, some officers have retired and others are back on duty. Many of these cases are likely to come up for trial only a year from now as there is a backlog to deal with, according to sources.

When contacted Lokayukta Justice N. Santhosh Hegde said he was afraid many of the officers could escape conviction given the delay in bringing their cases to trial. Witnesses could turn hostile in the years between, according to him.

He also warned that if tainted officers were not punished despite the raids, the fear factor would fade away with time. Asked if the Lokayukta had requested the government to expedite the investigation into the cases against the officers concerned and their trials, Justice Hegde said this sort of a situation was not exclusive to Karnataka, but was common all over the country.

The state government had, however, assured that pending trial, the officials would not be posted to the same positions they were holding when raided, he added.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• aparna
      By aparna
      As I can see from the Act the principal aim of the act seems to motivate people and encouraging them to have information about the working of the system to see that it works efficiently.

But it is said that poverty alleviation is also the aim of this act. I cannot forsee how that can be achieved?

Any views?
    • nirmalbiswas
      By nirmalbiswas
      I beleive in this last 50 years or even more after we have got our independence this is the first time that our Government has sincerely thought of nailing the corrupt officials and has brought this ACT. No doubt the corrupt officials and people in power on the other hand are thinking out ways and means as to how to dilute this act so as not to pass the information regarding the wrong things they do or might do. One of this was not to give information regarding what ever has been dealt on corresponding side before an order has been passed. I beleive we all Government officers who are non corrupt, have nothing to fear from this act and should whole heartedly support this act and make it more stronger.

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy