Question

rajan.srivastava

I have a couple of queries:

1. Can an applicant request PIO/APIO to send the RTI-reply via registered/speed posts?

a. If answer to [1] is yes, is the applicant required to deposit any additional fee (against expenses of registered/speed post) at the time of initial application itself?

2. If PIO/APIO decides to reject the RTI-Application, does (s)he reject it silently or a rejection reply is sent to the applicant via the post etc?

Thanks in advance for helping me here.

Regards,

Rajan Srivastava, New Delhi

5 answers to this question

ambrish.p

Dear Rajan

1. Applicant can request for anything but PIO needs to follow rules. In case of central pa PIO must reply by speed/registered post and PA will bear the charges for that. In a case decided by CIC on 31/12/08 (Case no.CIC/OK/C/2008/00809) upon repeated submission by appellants before CIC about non receipt of reply sent by PIO, CIC directed PIO to ensure that all replies to RTI applications henceforth are sent by Speed Post / Registered Post.

a. In some states applicant needs to pay for postal charges for sending reply. Please check rules. Rules are available here: RTI Guide

2. PIO cannot reject application silently s/he has to explain why the same was rejected and it has to be communicated to applicant.

Please see: Section 07

7 (8). Where a request has been rejected under sub-section (1), the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall communicate to the person making the request,—

i) the reasons for such rejection;

ii) the period within which an appeal against such rejection may be preferred; and

iii) the particulars of the appellate authority.

regards

DineshK

It is duty of the PIO to ensure that the reply has been received by whichever means he find suitable. There is no rule on method of delivery in the act.

rajan.srivastava

Thanks RTIIndia team.

With your help I was able to file an RTI application and got its response.

You can see more details on "http://rti-experience.blogspot.com"

sharadphadke

7 (8). Where a request has been rejected under sub-section (1), the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall communicate to the person making the request,—

i) the reasons for such rejection;

ii) the period within which an appeal against such rejection may be preferred; and

iii) the particulars of the appellate authority.

Section 7 is only for the procedure to be followed for the application made u/S 6. For rejecting any application only S 8 & 9 applies. Section 7 (8) (1) is the only procedure and not valid ground. Under no other section the application can be rejected other than 8 & 9 and you have to get information.

karira
Thanks RTIIndia team.

With your help I was able to file an RTI application and got its response.

You can see more details on "http://rti-experience.blogspot.com"

Why don't you post the response here ?

This portal gets millions of hits a day.