Mpapreja

Can I get my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile under RTI

Question

Mpapreja

I have been implicated in false case under IPC 279. I want to prove that I was not present at accident site at the time of accident. For doing so, I need to know my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile (provided to be my pvt. Co.) which was made just 5 minutes before the accident time.

Can I get my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile (to safeguard my position in court) under RTI? Please help.

16 answers to this question

karira

You will not get those details.

The police can get those details.

Alternatively, your lawyer can ask the Court to get those details.

Mpapreja

Dear Mr. Karira,

Thanks for your above reply. Please note that I have visited following site showing "INFORMATION SOUGHT BY APPLICANTS" specifying the dept. as Police-(Delhi)

Search Your Question

I have found an applicant who had sought the similar information and have been given the position reply. Please follow below mentioned link indicated the question (by applicant) and reply (by police-delhi).

Question--Answer

The following are contents shown by clicking on above link:-

Category Redressal of Personal Grievance

Question Asked the applicant has requested to provide certified copies of call details from concerned mobile ph. service providers companies, for the period from 15.05.09 to 25.05.09 with location along with name & address of the subscribers, in respect of mobile phone nos.(1) (Posting of mob. no. is against forum rules-hence deleted) being used by his son vishal, (2) (Posting of mob. no. is against forum rules-hence deleted) being used by applicant,(3) (Posting of mob. no. is against forum rules-hence deleted) being by his son gaurav, u/s 364a/302/201/20b/34-ipc, ps keshav puram, it will be put in court.

Could u please comment. Can I file relevant application? Please advice.

Answer Given the requisite information has been provided to the applicant.

jps50

You can not get under RTI as it is not applicable to private parties. However, if there is any system other than RTI, it can ba made use of it.

• Like 1

poonam agarwal

sir , you can do one thing . Make a request to police saying I was at so and so location at the time of mis hap .my location can be conformed from mobile operator.

after few days make an RTI to police asking what action has been taken against my request.

• Like 1

karira

Mpapreja,

That is exactly what I said (please read my post again !)

Only the police can get that information.

You can file a RTI with the Police (like that person did).

Mpapreja

Thanks, now the matter is clear. But while writing an application with respect to above subject do I need to specify the reason?

If I would ask the details without specifying reason, will I get the positive response? Please advice.

karira

Although Sec 6(2) specifically states that no reason be given while asking for information, I suggest that in this case you better give the specific reason as to why you need this information.

Mpapreja

Thanks once again for a quick reply. Could u please also confirm, whether the Investigating Officer (IO) in above case would in any way be involved in getting the information requested by me through RTI? Would he be having all the information which I would request through RTI? If yes, is there any way to avoid that as I don't want these details to be disclosed before submitting it to court.

Mpapreja

Thanks once again for a quick reply. Could u please also confirm, whether the Investigating Officer (IO) in above case would in any way be involved in getting the information requested by me through RTI? Would he be having all the information which I would request through RTI? If yes, is there any way to avoid that as I don't want these details to be disclosed before submitting it to court.

In addition, please note that I am having a mobile provided to me by my company. Do I have to submit some kind of authority letter issued from my company allowing me to get these details along with my RTI application?

karira

You are asking for information from the Police about locational information of your mobile.

If mobile is not yours, then you obviously need to give a authorisation letter from the Company.

Try filing the RTI with the division of the Police which can access this information (that website you referred to earlier might give you a clue). They will reply to you directly. I dont think the IO will get to know.

But it is your luck !

Mpapreja

I had filed an application for getting the location details as per following format:-

"I M Papreja son of Mr. K. Papreja (Employee of ........), resident of ..., wish to seek information as under:

1. Please arrange to provide certified copies of call details along with location forMobile No. XXXXXXXXXXXX - Deleted mobile number - posting against forum rules (being used by applicant) from AIRTEL service provider for the dates 31.10.08, 12.02.09, 15.02.09, 21.02.09& 22.02.09, to be presented in court with respect to court case u/s 279/337/338 IPC – FIR .... PS ......"

I have received following reply from PIO

"With reference to your RTI application, received in this office on 28.07.11, addressed to the undersigned for seeking information under right to information act 2005, I am to state the reply based on the report received from ACP/SHO, ......, North Distt., Delhi, as per available record case FIR No. ... dt. ... u/s 279/337 IPC PS ... Delhi was put in court on 20.08.09 and the matter is sub-judice in the court at present

Mpapreja

This is in continuation to my earlier post (24.08.2010) with subject "Can I get my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile under RTI".

The contents of earlier post were

"I have been implicated in false case under IPC 279. I want to prove that I was not present at accident site at the time of accident. For doing so, I need to know my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile (provided to be my pvt. Co.) which was made just 5 minutes before the accident time.

Can I get my location detail on the basis of outgoing call made from my mobile (to safeguard my position in court) under RTI? Please help."

I had filed an application for getting the location details as per following format:-

"I M Papreja son of Mr. Papreja (Employee of ........), resident of ..., wish to seek information as under:

1. Please arrange to provide certified copies of call details along with location forMobile No. 9******* (being used by applicant) from AIRTEL service provider for the dates ......., to be presented in court with respect to court case u/s 279/337/338 IPC – FIR .... PS ......"

I have received following reply from PIO

"With reference to your RTI application, received in this office on 28.07.11, addressed to the undersigned for seeking information under right to information act 2005, I am to state the reply based on the report received from ACP/SHO, ......, North Distt., Delhi, as per available record case FIR No. ... dt. ... u/s 279/337 IPC PS ... Delhi was put in court on 20.08.09 and the matter is sub-judice in the court at present. The relevant documents are not available at Police Station .... Delhi"

The reply is surprisingly irritating as the details required by myself (applicant) are to safeguard my position in the court and obviously these types of records would not be available but have to be extracted from service provider. Moreover the case has been filed against me and it is very well known to me that the case is sub-judiced in court and that is the only reason that I need these details to defend myself.

Is there any short coming in my application against which advantage has been taken by the Police officials in replying? Should I file an appeal? Are there any chances of getting positive reply? Somebody, please advice.

dr.s.malhotra

AIRTEL being private body is not covered under RTI Act , so will not respond to RTI request . They may have provided in routine on a request from you .

Regarding the Police Deptt PIO , they may have presented the record with challan in the court , therefore the records will be before the court and can be got only from the court thru your counsel or yourself if you are appearing in person .

PIO appears to be correct .

Dr V S Prasanna Rajan

@mpapreja

In case if you are quite apprehensive about being falsely arrested, then while filing RTI to CPIO of Trai, invoke section 7(1) wherein info pertaining to life or liberty should be provided within 48 hours of the receipt of the RTI application.

ganpat1956

Multiple threads on the same subject merged to have a continuous flow.