News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed

Question

Tejaswy

Hello,

I have a query, I want to file an RTI through my lawyer who is in India.

(In other words, the lawyer files the RTI on my behalf)

Is that at all possible.??? I can give him a no objection certificate. (NOC)

I read through the RTI act and there seems to be no mention of this.

Can you help me out on this please.!!

Yes both me and the lawyer are citizens of India. I just moved out of India a couple of years back for study purpose.

I also looked up this forum and there seems to have been conflicting answers. (some say yes, some say no, some say NOC is required)

If this is possible can you point me towards the direction of this.

(my personal thoughts, it should not be a problem, why should it, both of us are citizens of India, I want to use him and his skills as a lawyer to take appropriate response and take the matter to court , that should not be a problem. Should it??)

I'd really appreciate your help in this regard.

Regards

Tejaswy

4 answers to this question

nukebomb

As long as any citizen is asking information related to matters which are not prohibited under RTI , one do not need to mention " on behalf of this or that person with NOC from him ". simply your lawyer friend can ask information in his own name and address.

if information pertains to third party , PIO needs to take third party's take before supplying that information .

so plz go ahead and start RTI ing . submit atleast 5 RTI's a month. Help india get rid of corruption.

• Like 1

Tejaswy

Ya hi,

Thanks nuke bomb.... I have been through the RTI act 2005 but I could not get any reference to this. I need to get some data and I need the info in my name but not his.I need to take matters to court and hence forth it is very important that I file the RTI in my own name

My lawyer ( who is my friend) is of the contempt ion that this is not allowed by the RTI act.

I want to tell him that this is legal and can be done.

Regards

Tejaswy

karira

You can draft a application, sign it, give a Indian address and send it to your lawyer (or anyone else) to attach the application fee and submit it or send it by speed post.