karira

Do photocopy charges also mean "colour" photcopy ?

Question

karira

While going through certain SIC orders today, a doubt came to my mind.

In the Centre and State RTI rules , the charges mentioned for photocopying are Rs. 2 per page of A4 size. My doubt is whether the same charges are applicable for "colour" photocopy also ?

I went through many State rules but there is no mention of this or any clarity.

Can members please clarify ?

3 answers to this question

jiwateshwar

The RTI act does no where specify the cost of colour photocopies. Under this condition I'm of the view that colour photocopy shall fall in the category of information provided in printed form. The applicable section in my view would be

5(b) for information provided in printed form at the price fixed for such publication or Rs. two per page of photocopy for extracts from the publication.

&

4(b) actual charge or cost price of a copy in larger size paper;

4© actual cost or price for samples or models; and

Cited from http://delhigovt.nic.in/rti/notification_160905.pdf

Thus one would end up paying the actual cost of colour photocopy in such case. But all this remains subject to the PIOs discretion as he may simply not agree to give you a colour photocopy.

A simple experiment could be performed. Why not try asking for the colour photocopy of a very very simple document. A document no one could have objection in revealing. Let us see what the PIO does in that case.

Sunil Ahya

I would like to share a story from my childhood days:

A father and a son were travelling from their village to the city to do some business and make money. On the way a horse trader was offering horse of Rs.10 for Rs.1, the son requested his father to buy the horse for him as it was very cheap. But the father said, dear son it is very expensive.

The father and son reached the city, and started a business from the money they had come along with from their village. Their business was very successful and they made a lot of money in the city.

They were returing back to their village to pay a visit to their native place. On their way back the same horse trader was selling horse worth Rs. 10 for Rs. 100. Father asked the son to go ahead and buy the horse that he wanted to do, son said to the father, Papa it is too expensinve. Father said to his son it is very cheap.

I feel at times the information is invaluable, the cost of actually photocopying it maybe negligible.

colnrkurup

Look at it in a different way. If you ask for a copy of the document, you may get the copy taken in the most economical or cheapest way. The charges will be that laid down in the Rules. Nothing stop you from asking for a colour photocopy. Since no rate is fixed for colour photocopy in the rules, the PIO will ask for actual cost. It is that simple.