News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
sabha_kant

CALAIM FOR REFUND OF E-tickets

sabha_kant

Hi Everybody !

i am s k tripathi , and need help from you all regarding refund of e tickets.

Actually i was traveling by a waitlisted e-ticket in Kushinagar express from Gorakhpur to mumbai. And the TTE of coach charged me as without ticket along with penality saying that you can not travel by waitlisted E-Tickets AND your money will be automatically transferred to your booking account.

In this regard i have done communication with IRCTC and they told you may get amount back while they will confirm from western railways mumbai.

it is almost 3 month over and i have not received my refund....

what shall i do?

please help me out in this regards

thanking you all

S K TRIPATHI

DEFENCE SCIENTIST

MAHATASHTRA INDIA

jps50

Welcome to this portal having 9800+ members all over India. U may file RTI appln with CPIO of IRCTC. Pl visit my blog at http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/69-any-thing-pending-govt.html and http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/19-rti-application-central-govt-info.html. Pl give all the available info and enclose copies of communications already made. Best of luck.

karira

You can file a RTI with the PIO of IRCTC and ask about your refund. Please give the complete background of your case as well as all the relevant ticket numbers/photocopies, etc.

Your RTI application has to be addressed to the PIO (nr. 2 in the list) as appearing here:

NOTIFICATION

and needs to be accompanied by a IPO of Rs. 10.00 payable to "Accounts Officer".

ghsayan

The same case happened for me. I purchased an e ticket from Howrah to Puri which was waiting list after chart preparation. As I din't get back, I lodged a TDR in IRCTC Online Passenger Reservation Site.. The status of the TDR was 'admin approved' for last 6 months.

I made a complain in IRCTC site, they told closed the ticket stating 'action taken' and an email was sent me that the file was pending in o/o CCM, East Coast Railway, Bhubaneswar. A reminder has been sent.

At that time I didn't have any idea about this forum, so I myself drafted an application addressing 'Public Information Officer, IRCTC, East Zone' and submitted it to the APIO, GPO, Kolkata . He forwarded my message to the concerned officer and acknowledge my mail, as well gave me a copy of the forwarding letter.

I submitted the application in Kolkata GPO on 28th February. In spite of 14 days have passed, I haven't received any communication from IRCTC. My question is, frm which day the 30 day window period would be counted? The date on which I submitted the application or on the date on which IRCTC received the application?

ghsayan

as per the IRCTC site, All remittances in connection with seeking information under RTI Act must be made through Demand Draft/Postal orders to be addressed to “IRCTC Ltd”.

karira

1. If your application was correctly made, the the PIO has 30 days to provide you information, from the date of receipt of your application.

2. There are various DoPT circulars that Public Authorities should accept payment of RTI application fees by DD/BC/IPO in favour of "Accounts Officer". Please see:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/3371-dopt-circular-re-designation-public-information-officer-mode-payment-cheque-favour-application-format.html

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/11366-dopt-warns-public-information-officers-pas-against-non-acceptance-dd-bc-ipo-favour-accounts-officer.html

If IRCTC refuses to accept you application because of the incorrect payee, then file a First Appeal citing the above mentioned DoPT circulars.

ghsayan

Hi,

As I earlier informed, I made an appeal to IRCTC for refund of wait listed eticket on 8th February. While framing, I was not aware of such forum, so I framed my questions as:

1. Please Let me know the specific time period within which I will get the refund.

2. Why is it being delayed for 6 months?

also, I was not much aware which PIO to address, so I addressed PIO, IRCTC, Eastern Zone, Kolkata and also mentioned in the letter that if you are not concerned PIO then forward it to the appropriate PIO.

(I think, if I could came to know about such forum, I could frame my question more accurately!)

Later on, when I came to know about this forum, I could find out my appropriate PIO (Who is GM(Ops), IRCTC, New Delhi) by one of your post. Now, already 28 day has passed after submitting my application in Kolkata GPO. Till date I haven't received any reply from IRCTC. My question is,

1. Who is the appellate authority whom I should made first appeal? Is it the Appellate authority of the concerned PIO in New Delhi or the Appellate authority for the PIO whom I addressed (i.e. in IRCTC Eastern Zone, Kolkata Office)?

2. When I should make the compliant? As I submitted via GPO Kolkata, I may assume it reached within IRCTC Kolkata office (at Fairlie Place, just opposite to GPO!) within two working days, i.e. within 3rd March.

3. Can I make this appeal through online or should I have to submit the hard copy? Can I also process this application through Post Office (as I made the RTI application) or have to submit by speed post?

Thanks,

Sayan

karira
Hi,

As I earlier informed, I made an appeal to IRCTC for refund of wait listed eticket on 8th February. While framing, I was not aware of such forum, so I framed my questions as:

1. Please Let me know the specific time period within which I will get the refund.

2. Why is it being delayed for 6 months?

also, I was not much aware which PIO to address, so I addressed PIO, IRCTC, Eastern Zone, Kolkata and also mentioned in the letter that if you are not concerned PIO then forward it to the appropriate PIO.

(I think, if I could came to know about such forum, I could frame my question more accurately!)

Later on, when I came to know about this forum, I could find out my appropriate PIO (Who is GM(Ops), IRCTC, New Delhi) by one of your post. Now, already 28 day has passed after submitting my application in Kolkata GPO. Till date I haven't received any reply from IRCTC. My question is,

1. Who is the appellate authority whom I should made first appeal? Is it the Appellate authority of the concerned PIO in New Delhi or the Appellate authority for the PIO whom I addressed (i.e. in IRCTC Eastern Zone, Kolkata Office)?

2. When I should make the compliant? As I submitted via GPO Kolkata, I may assume it reached within IRCTC Kolkata office (at Fairlie Place, just opposite to GPO!) within two working days, i.e. within 3rd March.

3. Can I make this appeal through online or should I have to submit the hard copy? Can I also process this application through Post Office (as I made the RTI application) or have to submit by speed post?

Thanks,

Sayan

Since you have already submitted your RTI application, might as well continue with it.

Now that you have more knowledge of drafting an RTI Application and all the Rules/Correct PIO, why don't you draft a new RTI Application and submit it also ? There is no limit on the number of applications which an individual can file. It will just cost another Rs. 10.00 + your effort.

It is better to wait for a total of 40 days - 30 days allowed + another 10 days for the postal delays, etc. Normally, it should be extra 5 days allowance but in your case you submitted it to the APIO in the GPO.

If there is still no reply, then it can be considered as a "deemed denial" of information. You can file a First Appeal for deemed denial. A draft FA for such a case is attached to the following post:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/3363-disregarding-right-information-act.html#post11618

Just modify it suitably for your case before submission.

The First Appeal has to go to the FAA of the PIO to whom you addressed the RTI Application. Because, in this case there is no news whether he transferred the RTI Application or not to some other PIO under Sec 6(3). If he did that, he should have done it within 5 days of receiving your application and under intimation to you. Therefore it is safe to assume that the application is with him only and he has "denied" you information.

The time limit for filing First Appeal is 30 days from the receipt of the PIO's reply or the date when his reply was due - so basically 60 days from filing of your RTI Application.

There is no possibility at present for filing a First Appeal by email. It should be either done personally to the APIO/PIO/FAA, by Registered Post AD, by Speed Post, or through the Post Office route. Get a acknowledgment on your copy and/or keep the postal receipt or the delivery status (as obtained from the indiapost website), with you carefully.

We all talk about e-governance, but even the PIO/FAA of the CIC says that he will not accept emails ! (Please see: http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/16862-what-happens-your-emails-sent-central-information-commission.html)

jps50

Following links will be useful for first appeal:

FIRST APPEAL GUIDE

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/18-first-appeal-central-govt-guidelines.html

FIRST APPEAL FORMAT:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/17-first-appeal-central-govt-format.html

http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/rti-act/List_RTI_Officers.pdf

I think refund is done by railways themselves and not by IRCTC. Just check up.

ghsayan

Now that you have more knowledge of drafting an RTI Application and all the Rules/Correct PIO, why don't you draft a new RTI Application and submit it also ? There is no limit on the number of applications which an individual can file. It will just cost another Rs. 10.00 + your effort.

I haven't done it just for time loss, and I expected that they would at least give one reply. I have no problem for making another application!

There is no possibility at present for filing a First Appeal by email. It should be either done personally to the APIO/PIO/FAA, by Registered Post AD, by Speed Post, or through the Post Office route. Get a acknowledgment on your copy and/or keep the postal receipt or the delivery status (as obtained from the indiapost website), with you carefully.

There is a link in the site RTI Complaint & Appeal for 'Lodge Your Complaint" as 'RTI Complaint & Appeal'. Can't we process using this? Also let me know if I can submit the appliaction by fax? If no other option is available, then I have to go for speed post.

I am physically challenged and processing an e-application is more convienet to me, thats the reason!

RAVEENA_O

There is lot of misunderstanding regarding e-ticketing facility of Indian Railways, leading to frivolous grievances and RTI Applications before the authorities.

E-tickets are booked only by using Credit/Debit cards. The tickets are in four pages. Generally, passengers print only one page. Four pages contain all details of ticket including mode of its cancellation. Nobody bother to print and read page-2 to 4 of e-ticket.

Wait-listed e-ticket, if not confirmed at the time of preparation of chart, is cancelled automatically and the amount is credited to the same Credit card / Debit Card account from which the e-ticket charges are paid. If any e-ticket is booked through an Agent using agent credit/debit card, the cancellation amount is credited to agent's account. It is a programmed system to get cancellation and credit of amount in same account, so that a person booking an e-ticket from a remote location need not travel to a railway station to cancell his ticket and get refund.

Before embarking upon Complaints and RTI Applications etc, one should verify his Bank account (transaction pertaining to date of printing chart) to ensure credit of cancellation amount. If the e-ticket is booked through an Agent using Agent's account, the passenger MUST claim refund from Agent.

karira

There is a link in the site RTI Complaint & Appeal for 'Lodge Your Complaint" as 'RTI Complaint & Appeal'. Can't we process using this? Also let me know if I can submit the appliaction by fax?

That site you mentioned is only for filing Second Appeal under Sec 19(3) and Complaints under Sec 18 to the CIC.

ghsayan

E-tickets are booked only by using Credit/Debit cards.

Also, direct debit facility from various banks are there. for my case, I used Online SBI, State Bank's Direct Debit Facility.

The tickets are in four pages. Generally, passengers print only one page. Four pages contain all details of ticket including mode of its cancellation. Nobody bother to print and read page-2 to 4 of e-ticket.

I print the entire pages of the ticket. It was two pages. Still I have the hard copy of the printout.

Wait-listed e-ticket, if not confirmed at the time of preparation of chart, is cancelled automatically and the amount is credited to the same Credit card / Debit Card account from which the e-ticket charges are paid.

The same was being printed on my ticket also. My date of journey was 14th August. As I didn't get any refund upto 26th August, I called IRCTC customer care to know why it was being delayed. Also send an mail to care@irctc.co.in keeping eticket@irctc.co.in in Cc. On the basis of this mail they lodge a TDR.

Before embarking upon Complaints and RTI Applications etc, one should verify his Bank account (transaction pertaining to date of printing chart) to ensure credit of cancellation amount.

I printed my bank account statement from my date of purchase of the ticket till application date from Online SBI and endorsed it with my branch. I attached the same with the application.

jps50

U better proceed with first appeal. Normally time limit is not questioned by FAA for delay in filing first appeal.

p_s_vaidya

File RTI application as discussed in detail above. Further to that, based on the reply you receive, you may go to consumer forum too for compensation. RTI will provide you with information sooner or later and you may get your ticket money back based on it.

ghsayan

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to all of you for your continuous support and your valuable suggestions. When I first processed with my application, I didn’t have much idea about this law. But, interacting with all of you, everyday I am becoming more and more aware about RTI. Hopefully next time onwards there will be more error free application from my side.

Though I have earlier mentioned, I am repeating the cause for my filing of application; I purchased an eticket through IRCTC which was being waitlisted after chart preparation. My date of journey was 14th August 2008. As I didn’t get the refund upto 26th August (Usually, waitlisted e ticket after chart preparation is cancelled automatically and the amount is being refunded) I send them an email to IRCTC. On the basis of my email they lodge a TDR. The refund I haven’t received yet.

I filed an application addressing PIO, IRCTC, Eastern Zone. Please find the attachment ‘IRCTC Application.doc’ for the application I send to them. ( I confess I could not frame the question properly!). on the basis of the application, IRCTC send me a reply (IRCTC Reply.pdf). In the letter, though they told that it (the refund) has been granted but haven’t mentioned any specific date when it will be refunded.

Please go through both the attachments and let me know the needful. Should I file a new application framing more accurate questions or should I process with the same application?

Thanking all of you again,

Sayan

IRCTC Application.doc

IRCTC Reply.pdf

jps50

Mr. Ghosh, U now need to file non-rti complaint again with IRCTC for non receipt of amount as stated in reply dated 24-03-09. Send copy of this letter with the complaint. If they do not reply or U donot get refund within 20 days of mailing the complaint file RTI appln by refering to followings:

Effective:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/93-how-make-rti-application-effective.html

Pending:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/69-any-thing-pending-govt.html

central govt appln:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/19-rti-application-central-govt-info.html

anushreesrv

Hi,

I ticket refers to the internet ticket that is the physical railway ticket can be cancelled ONLY at the railway counters.Submittion of the physcial ticket is a mandate lest it may be misused.Where as E tickets- are a mere copy of your reservation (ERS)-hence can be cancelled only online.In case you dont carry your ERS- you may be fined but the photo ID proof may be asked for conforming your identity.

TDR refund takes a time of 90 days from date of subtion.IRCTC is a mediating body for cases the refund has to be sought from Railways.Railways have their different zones from where the refund takes place.IRCTC delhi office handles all zones.

In case your TDR refund has not been received- please contact TDR team 011-23345900.

Hope this would help you.

anushreesrv

hi Mr Tripathi,

sorry to inform you that a user is NOT authorised to travel against a WL ticket, unlike the WL counter ticket.The WL- E ticket is not considerd reservation, hence the TTE has all the right to charge the customer.

hope this clarifies.

ghsayan

You have the right to board the reserved compartment with WL ticket purchased from counters or I ticket, since refund is not possible unless the ticket is being submitted in counter, and can approach the TTE if any vacant berth are there. But that is not possible in eticket as the ticket is being cancelled automatically after chart preparation, if the status of the ticket is WL.

I GET REFUND FROM IRCTC TO MY SBI ACCOUNT ON 2ND APRIL after 8 months of tug of war. TThe whole credit goes to RTI, as well thank you to all of you who have gave me valuable informations and fighting everyday to implement the law and spreading awareness!!!!!

All the best to you!!!

karira

Moved to Success Stories thread

raghavi291095

Dear Sir,

Hope you have got enough replies all worth noting. You are not entitled for refund. If some has told you that you can get refund they have just misguided you.

It is worth approaching the CCM of respective Refund Section in Railway and explain your ignorance. It is purely the discretion of the above and you may get it.

KR Rajakumar