Question

jiwateshwar

In some states the Rules and Fee Regulations of RTI talks about something called a Treasury Challan. These states have provided for making the payment towards fee of RTi application by depositing the appropriate amount in the treasury challan. They also list various account heads etc. I have some queries regarding this

1. What exactly is this treasury challan?

2. Where is it remitted?

3. What are the service charges?

4. Can this be done online through netbanking?

5. Last but not the least, could this method not be used for filling an absolutely online RTI application?

4 answers to this question

ganpat1956

Jiwateshwar,

Treasury challans are similar to the pay-in-slips you use in banks for remitting cash, with provisions for mentioning the name and no. of the account to which the money should get credited. In this case, the beneficiary is always one govt department or the other. They are to be remitted either at the office of the govt treasury/sub treasury or in some cases in a designated branch of a PSU bank(like the SBI Govt A/c Branches).

For remitting cash directly, there are no service charges. On line net-banking involves a settlement mechanism through which funds are received/sent. To the best of my knowledge, treasury offices are not part of any such mechanism. Absolute online filing of RTI applications are possible, only when all the PAs make specific arrangements for receiving the RTI application money too online. Until then, we will have to rely on snail mail only.

The Great

Jiwateshwar,

1. A Treasury Challan is a two copy form,available with the Treasury/Sub Treasury Office free of cost. First of all it,is to be passed by the Accountant of the Treasury on behalf of Treasury Officer.

2. Then you have to take the Challan to a Nationalised Bank where Govt. Transition were done. You have to deposit the required fee and the bank will retain the duplicate challan part handing over you the Original copy. Though the Treasury Challan number is not available immediately, we have to mention the Bank token number and date in the RTI application,attaching the Challan to the application.

3.There is no service Charges. But required your patience in the very long queue.

Govt.has given a "Head of Account", and the fee is deposited in that account number.

4. At present this can not be done on line.

sidmis

Treasury Challan is a two copy form,available with the Treasury/Sub Treasury Office free of cost

1. Actually a Treasury Challan is to be filled as three copies.
    The last one to be retained by the user.
  2. Treasury Challans are state specific.
  3. It is purely meant for depositing money in some specifie Govt. Account Head. Can't be used for other purposes.
  4. No Service charge for any amount. :)
  5. Online deposit is not possible as of now. (at least in Orissa).

Apart from Orissa I think in Haryana RTI Fees can also be paid through Treasury Challans.

I am enclosing a typical treasury challan we use for RTI purposes in Orissa.

I find the Title is a bit misleading. Treasury challans and e-payment are poles apart.:mad:

treasury_challan.jpg