jps50

RTI helped a widow get back Rs.5.29 lakhs from bank after 13 years

jps50

01-06-2011

A widow and midday meal worker of Junagadh and her husband had invested in 4 term deposits with erstwhile State Bank of Saurashtra, [now merged with State Bank of India] Darbarbadh Branch, Bhavnagar Gujarat in 1996. In 1998 amount was defrauded when she and her husband were in Africa. Bank filed FIR and refused to pay back amount. This was totally against RBI directives on frauds, where in it is provided that customer should not suffer for fraud, if he is not a party to fraud. Her husband expired in 2003. Fraud was perpetrated due to negligence or connivance of officers of the bank.

She was introduced to me by my friend who works for consumer protection. Under my guidance she filed first RTI application on 26-03-2008. It took 26 letters, 9 RTI applications, 7 RTI first appeals, One second appeal and one complaint to Central Information Commission, New Delhi to get back this amount. All officers right from Branch Manager, Asstt. Gen Manager Bhavnagar, General Manager LHO Ahmedabad, Chief General Manager LHO, Ahmedabad, Bank Chairman at H.O. Mumbai, Directorate of Public Grievances Govt. of India, New Delhi, Governor RBI Mumbai, Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Law & Justice were repeatedly hammered to get back this amount, without moving courts/consumer forums [as case was time barred]. It took me 1162 days to help her get back amount Rs.5.29 lakhs with interest for 13 years, after extensive follow up and RTI interventions.

I could dig out bank’s internal papers through RTI and could force country’s biggest and most adamant bank to repay the amount, based on their own papers and circulars. The lady had hardly any details of deposits, except name of bank branch and probable period of deposit. All other details were sucked through RTI.

RTI does work.

• Like 7

karira

Great job !

Keep it up.

Pradip Shah

HATS OFF....! Sir.

rajyadav017

Wonderful, persistance pays

gr8 job thank u

rattanjindal

miracle of RTI

dkchhetri
01-06-2011

A widow and midday meal worker of Junagadh and her husband had invested in 4 term deposits with erstwhile State Bank of Saurashtra, [now merged with State Bank of India] Darbarbadh Branch, Bhavnagar Gujarat in 1996. In 1998 amount was defrauded when she and her husband were in Africa. Bank filed FIR and refused to pay back amount. This was totally against RBI directives on frauds, where in it is provided that customer should not suffer for fraud, if he is not a party to fraud. Her husband expired in 2003. Fraud was perpetrated due to negligence or connivance of officers of the bank.

She was introduced to me by my friend who works for consumer protection. Under my guidance she filed first RTI application on 26-03-2008. It took 26 letters, 9 RTI applications, 7 RTI first appeals, One second appeal and one complaint to Central Information Commission, New Delhi to get back this amount. All officers right from Branch Manager, Asstt. Gen Manager Bhavnagar, General Manager LHO Ahmedabad, Chief General Manager LHO, Ahmedabad, Bank Chairman at H.O. Mumbai, Directorate of Public Grievances Govt. of India, New Delhi, Governor RBI Mumbai, Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Law & Justice were repeatedly hammered to get back this amount, without moving courts/consumer forums [as case was time barred]. It took me 1162 days to help her get back amount Rs.5.29 lakhs with interest for 13 years, after extensive follow up and RTI interventions.

I could dig out bank’s internal papers through RTI and could force country’s biggest and most adamant bank to repay the amount, based on their own papers and circulars. The lady had hardly any details of deposits, except name of bank branch and probable period of deposit. All other details were sucked through RTI.

RTI does work.

Hats off Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatest achievement i have ever heard using RTI since its enforcement.

U R Really a fighter.

jskeshriya

great job sir.

Its proven Hard Work pays.

debnanda

Dear Sir,

No words in English can describe you, neither in Hindi nor in Mandarin but I can transfer my feelings with "Aaaiye Gale Lag Jaaiye !!"". This kind of story will put a ++++ve effect on all of us - small time RTI Activists !!

Debashis

mukesh kr

good new sir

shivani123

Jitendrabhai,

well done.I also got success to get SBI share certificate transferred by using RTI. Otherwise SBI didn't reply properly for last three years.

Thanks.

Pradip Shah

Shiviniji, Great work.

rajyadav017

Dear jps

congrats .

rajeseven

Hello there, Can I get contact information of this lady. I am a journalist and I would like to cover her story about how RTI has helped her.

jps50

You may post your email ID or cell number as Personal Message to me on this portal and I will convey you contact details of this lady. I cannot post my cell number or email id on this portal, as it is against rule of the portal. This was covered by Times of India, Ahmedabad and 3-4 prominent Gujarati news papers.