jerrygv

Getting Road tax refund from Blore RTO - Need help

Question

jerrygv

Hello people,

I am moved from Bangalore to Chennai in April 2010 and got my 4 year old car moved and re-registered in Chennai RTO in November 2010. I have paid the necessary Road tax in Chennai and since the tax paid in Bangalore is for Lifetime (15 yrs), I submitted Form 16 along with the xerox copies of TN and KA RC papers and proof of tax paid in both the states. I applied asking for the refund of the road tax for the balance period. This was sent via Registered post in Dec 2010 and I followed it up with a RTI Postal order in January 2011.

I had been following it up since then for over 8 months now and the Bangalore RTO Office, is very cool about the whole thing. They have sent me a reply saying, they have communicated to the Chennai NW RTO asking for details of the vehicle migration to TN state and confirm the re-registration, but not heard from the Chennai RTO. They have asked me to go in person and follow it up with the Chennai RTO and only after that they get the confirmation from the RTO, they will process my refund. I have made a couple of visits to the Chennai RTO and as per my knowledge they have sent the KA RTO, the CRTI details of the vehicle migration. I have a xerox copy of the letter sent across to the Bangalore RTO. But they claim they never received any communication and wont accept my xerox copy of the same letter as a confirmation. They have sent me a letter stating, unless they receive any communication from Chennai RTO, its not in their hands and have shelved my case.

I am confused now. What are my options? As per Chennai RTO, they have sent the needed CRTI details to Bangalore RTO, however they deny it and my refund amount of close to Rs. 18,000 is pending for over a year now. I need to know what should be my next steps? File a case and send a lawyer notice or is there an Appeal I could file. What is the format of the Appeal and to whom should I address this to? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

1 answer to this question

jps50

You may file RTI application with Chennai RTO seeking certified copy of communication received from Bengaluru RTO, date of receipt, inward number, day to day progress, certified copy of reply sent to Bengaluru, outward number, if not replied reasons as per section 4.1.d for not replying etc. You have to follow RTI rules of TN for Chennai RTO which are posted at:

TN

http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/centrestate-rti-rules-and-fees-3/tamilnadu-right-to-information-rules-26/?ltr=T

You need to file another RTI application with RTO Bengaluru based on following lines:

Karnataka

http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/centrestate-rti-rules-and-fees-3/karnataka-rti-rules-46/

Long pending ? :

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/69-any-thing-pending-govt.html

For both RTIs please also visit:

Make effective:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/93-how-make-rti-application-effective.html

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• ganpat1956
      By ganpat1956
      MUMBAI: Imagine saving a small sum every month for your kids' education and then losing a huge chunk of that amount to a private college management which refuses to refund the fee when you opt out for a better course.

That's what happened to Rajesh Talreja, a clerical employee of a nationalised bank, who had to fight tooth and nail to get his money back so that he could get his daughter admitted to a course of her choice.

Rajesh and his wife, a receptionist-cum-telephone operator with a private firm, always told their daughters that nothing but knowledge will stay with them forever.

Despite financial constraints, the couple from Mira Road in north Mumbai had saved up money so that both their daughters could pursue higher education. Never had Rajesh imagined that a huge part of these savings would vanish into thin air because a callous private college would just not refund the fees despite cancelling admission.

Elder daughter Preeti had decided to get into medicine but her parents suggested that she secure admission in a bio-medical course as a stand-by option.

So, on July 29, 2006, Preeti secured a seat in the FYBE (First year Bio Medical Engineering) course in Watumall Engineering College (WEC), Worli, by paying Rs 49,841.

Her continuance in the engineering college, though,depended on her score in the medical Common Entrance Test.

But when medical and dental admissions got delayed due to disputes in fee structures, the family changed their plan.

As per the WEC prospectus, if the admission was cancelled in four days, 80% of fees were to be refunded, and similarly, if admission was cancelled in six days, 60 per cent was to be refunded. Beyond that, no refund would be given.

"Since we didn't want to lose money in late cancellation, we cancelled the admission in 4 days,"said Preeti's mother Shilpa. However, WEC did not refund 80 % of the fees as promised. "Despite our reasoning, the college wouldn't budge,"said Rajesh.

Not fully convinced about WEC's refund rules, Rajesh moved a Right to Information Act application for clarifications in case of cancellation or upgradation of admission to the Mumbai University, to which WEC is affiliated.

"University officials promptly replied that cancellation amounts were in the range of Rs 150-250 for cancelling a seat within three months of admission,"said Rajesh.

Despite being shown the rules, WEC refused to pay up. "We then approached the registrar of Mumbai university, who told us to present our case in the students grievances redressal council,"said Preeti.

After hearing their case, the university wrote to WEC, ordering it to abide by the rules and refund the fees. WEC refunded 80 % of the fees after three months of chasing his money.

He used that money to admit his daughter into a course she always wanted to pursue — dentistry.

Preeti is now in first year BDS in a Navi Mumbai college. "I owe it to my parents,"she says.

But Rajesh has not given up as yet. He says WEC should have deducted only Rs 250 and not 20 % of the fees and will continue his quest for justice.

When contacted by TOI, WEC principal Sandhya Desai said that rules set by the Directorate of Technical Education and not those of the Mumbai University are applicable to them in case of admission and fees.

The Shikshan Shulka Samiti, the state fee fixation body had approved their refund rules for the year and hence 20% of the fees were deducted before paying the refund.

Given this scenario, Rajesh is campaigning to ensure that refund rules of all colleges are in line with those of the universities they are affiliated to.

(Source: Times of India, Mumbai, Dec.23,2006)
    • ganpat1956
      By ganpat1956
      MUMBAI: This is one problem that most tax-payers in the country may have faced at some point in their lives. The income tax department directly deducts your tax at source, but when it comes to refunds, it sends you on a wild goose chase. An assessee has now shown a way around the problem through the use of the right to information (RTI) act.

Tushar Dalvi used RTI and managed to get his refund, which was pending for five years, in a week’s time. Dalvi, an NRI, who settled in Santa Cruz a few years ago, has a non-resident ordinary account (NRO) from which the bank was deducting tax at source (TDS) on the interest accumulated on his deposits. Although he had filed returns and applied for a refund with the central international taxation department from 2002 onwards, he had not got a single reply from the IT department.

"I was stone-walled for quite sometime and then I tried to use the services of a chartered accountant (CA). But he said he would charge me Rs 50,000 as service charge," said 60-year-old Dalvi, an IIT alumnus from Powai. The CA told him that some part of the money would be for ‘other expenses’ to get the job done quickly. "When I calculated the refund, it was coming to one lakh. I found this service charge exorbitant," he said.

Dalvi decided to file an RTI query with the IT dept’s central public information officer (CPIO) in December last year asking about the status on his pending refund. "The officer in charge forwarded my request to the CPIO for international taxation. I got both my refunds in a week. Later, I also got the interest and my assessment orders from them which they had missed initially with the original refund cheques," he said.

NRI uses RTI to beat bribe, get refund-India-NEWS-The Times of India

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy