News Ticker
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
sidmis

CIC dismisses ex-RAW official’s RTI appeal against ‘rival’ author

sidmis

as reported by Krishnadas Rajagopal, Oct 11, 2008, Indian Express

New Delhi, October 10 Incensed that the CBI had not taken any action against former intelligence officer B Raman for revealing “official secrets” in a book but had penalised him for his own published work on the workings of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW), Major General (retd) Vinay Kumar Singh was left disappointed when his RTI appeal against Raman was dismissed by the Central Information Commission (CIC) on Friday.

Singh’s RTI appeal stemmed from the fact that the ‘revelations’ in his own controversial book, India’s External Intelligence: Secrets of Research and Analysis Wing, had left him facing charges under the Official Secrets Act (OSA) and Indian Penal Code (IPC). However, the CBI had not taken any similar action against Raman, who penned The Kaoboys of R&AW: Down Memory Lane.

Claiming that his appeal was beyond the scope of its jurisdiction, the CIC directed Singh to petition the CBI director against the former RAW operative.

Singh, also a former RAW official had highlighted 28 instances in Raman’s book which “appear to violate the provisions” of the OSA, 1923 and the IPC, 1860.

“Yet the CBI has not contemplated any action against the author or publisher of the book under the OSA or the IPC. But similar disclosures in my book have left me facing charges under the OSA and IPC,” Singh submitted on Friday in a hearing before Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah.

The CBI had registered an FIR under Section 5 (wrongful communication of information) of the OSA against Singh in September 2007. The agency had then followed it up with a chargesheet against the author on April 11, 2008.

The CBI, meanwhile, stood firm with a stoic reply that they would have taken action against Raman had there been a specific complaint against him.

“There has been no specific complaint on this work (Raman’s),” Superintendent of Police (CBI) Sanjay Singh repeated in his submissions before the Bench.

Reacting to the CBI’s reply, Habibullah has now advised Singh to “petition the CBI Director for action to be taken”.

“You can express your dissatisfaction to him (CBI Director). You can demand action to be taken. I cannot do anything as your query is beyond my jurisdiction,” Habibullah observed.

colnrkurup

The CIC's contention seems very correct. Of cource it would have been in CIC's domain, had the General framed the request for information in another way like, asking whether the CBI is aware of existance of Mr.Raman's book etc and a chain of information on those lines in a permissible way.

sidmis

It seems that General misfired this time with RTI application.

But the door is still open to him. In his order CIC has also indicated as much about it.

There appears to be some murky things at RAW.

• Similar Content

• vinay4299
      By vinay4299
      Dear friends,

I have just joined RTI India. Those of you have been following the recent articles by Veerappa Moily, A Suyra Prakash etc that have been posted may have read about me. I am a retired Army officer, who served in RAW for about 31/2 years. Last year I wrote a book titled INDIA'S EXTERNAL INTELLIGENCE - SECRET OF RESEARCH & ANALYSIS WING (RAW) in which I pointed out several anomalies such as lack of transparency and accountability, corruption, indiscipline and so on. For my efforts, I am being prosecuted under the infamous Official Secrets Act, 1923.

So much for the brief introduction. I will soon post a detailed brief giving the latest situation, especially the systematic manner in which the bureaucracy stone walls the use of the RTI Act to obtain 'uncomfortable' information.

Regards

Maj Gen VK Singh
    • Atul Patankar
      By Atul Patankar
      As reported at www.hindu.com on 07 April 2009

New Delhi (PTI): Sexual harassment amounts to human rights violation and no organisation, including RAW, should be exempted from the purview of RTI Act in such cases, the CIC has said.

While hearing the plea of a women RAW officer, the Central Information Commission held, "... this entire application centres on allegations of sexual harassment which is a material basis for allegations of human rights violation. We have also on earlier occasion also held that overt gender discrimination amounts to violation of human rights."

Although the commission dismissed the plea of Nisha Priya Bhatia, a RAW officer who had demanded information under RTI Act on her complaint regarding allegations of sexual exploitation by seniors on technical grounds, it advised her to move a fresh application seeking information which was denied by the agency.
      "It will be open to Nisha Bhatia to move a fresh application before the RAW seeking information on the matters which she has now sought at the level of second appeal. Her right to so move an application notwithstanding the listing of RAW in the second schedule is upheld in light of proviso to sec 24 (1)..." Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah held.

Source: The Hindu News Update Service

Announcements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy