Jump to content
News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed

What If one fails to File a second appeal with in 90 days after receiving response from First Appellate Authority?

Recommended Posts


Hi All,


Aggrieved by the insufficient and incomplete information provided by the Public Information Officer, I had filed the First Appeal with the First Appellate Authority which was received in his office on 7th February 2011 and The FAA is suppose to reply and dispose off the appeal before 22nd March 2011 (45 days).


BUt, He didn't responded to my appeal, neither disposed the same off. Though I can file a Second appeal / Complaint with the information commission, I didn't do it Rather I had sent a reminder (as advised in this RTI Forum) reminding the FAA about my appeal. I had received the response for the same in early June But surprisingly, He disposed off the appeal rejecting the sought information on the same grounds mentioned by Public Information Officer, Though I had clearly explained in the appeal as to How those things won't comply with my case and how the Public Information Officer had intentionally dodged the information. The FAA seemed to have not read the appeal at all but just denied the information on the same grounds.


Its been more than 90 days after these events happened (Time after filing the First appeal + receiving no response + sending a reminder + responding to the reminder but no information provided).. It is almost 6 months after the same.


Is there any chance I can file a Second appeal with the Information Commission Now? Its been more than 90 days. But I heard that There are cases where commissions condone the delay in filing the second appeal following inclusion of necessary and required prayers in the appeal.


I request the forum members to help me out with this.


If I can file the second appeal even now, What are the relevant prayers/grounds I can mention in the appeal as the reasons for delay? If I cant file it now, is there any other way to go?


Thanks and Regards




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can file complaint CIC/SIC which has no time limit. Please refer:






In 99% cases, FAA concurs with his colleague PIO. In fact PIO gets his reply approved unofficially by FAA before sending to applicant. It is useless step but unless act is amended, we have to follow it. You can also peruse:



Consumer Remedy



Consumer Notice



Consumer complaint draft and guide



Human Rights remedy:


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The time limit for second appeal is 90 days after getting the FAAs order. Is this also over ?


You should have valid grounds for asking for condoning of delay. Just because you forgot or did not have time to file seond appeal is not a valid ground.


Complaint will be accepted only if you have any one of the grounds listed in sec 18(1)(a) to (f). As it is most, commissions are simply returning complaints.


If the matter is important to you, then it is better to start afresh with a new RTI application. This time be careful in your drafting so that the chances of rejection are minimised.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no harm in filing SA. Time barred cases are being heard by CIC without any justified reason cited by Appellants. Though the applicants did not mention Sec.18 or 19 in their appeals, the CIC Notice of Hearing captioned those appeals as "APPEAL UNDER SECTION 18 & 19" and heard. The state commissions may take different view - to reduce pendency.


Since the case has reached this stage, file an SA if SAA is CIC. In the meantime, file fresh RTI Application as suggested in Post#3.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my second appeal was rejected by Rajasthan SIC, where in I took the ground that FAA has decided First Appeal after 60 days and I filed second appeal with in a week of belated decision of FAA.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • Skhanamr
      By Skhanamr
      Hello all,
                   I have given my LL.B 5th sem. exam and after declaration of result i was not satisfied (GOT ATKT in 1 sub. But my paper was good) with my result so I fill an rti to provide photocopy of my answesheet but they refused by saying that university will only give answercopy by filling their on answer copy request form other then they can't. Also the form should be fill under 1 week declaration of result. 
      After this I fill 1st appeal but the result was same. Now what should I have to do, I know you will say that go to 2nd apeal.
      But what is more beneficial in my case Complaint under section 18 or 2nd apeal under 19. Actually I have re-exam after 6 months and it takes almost 1 to 2 year disclose of my appeal. So what is best option 
      What is best option for me for fast result appeal or complaint

    • Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      I had sought details of loan and copies of agreement entered with World Bank, JICA etc. of IT Expressway Chennai (created in partnership with Govt of TN) However the PIO has replied that they have moved out of world bank loan and taken loan from other banks details of which cannot be disclosed under 8(1) d of RTI Act citing "commercial confidence".
      However the IT Expressway is a public limited company having entered into agreement with Govt of TN and others for developing and maintaining a particular stretch of road.
      Kindly help me frame a good first appeal.
      Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app


  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy