rtiindia

25 RTI brought ban on dark film in motor cars

rtiindia

On the basis of the replies received under the provisions of theRight to Information Act, 2005, the supreme court has decided that "it is averred that these authoritiesare of the unanimous opinion that black films should bebanned. Black filmed glasses help in commission of crime aswell as hiding the criminals even during vehicle checks at‘Naka’ points."

Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law w.e.f 4th May, 2012.

The hon'ble supreme court stated "we prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country."

The court passed the order on a plea seeking complete ban on use of dark films on car windows, including the vehicles used by VVIPs, alleging that many crimes in cities were committed by people using such cars with tinted windows.

The petitioner, Avishek Goenka, had contended that he had 25 RTI query replies from various police stations to back his claim that many crimes, including sexual assault on women, were committed by offenders who used cars with tinted glasses to evade public gaze and conceal their identity.

Another adverse aspect of use of black films is that even if they reflect tolerable VLT in the day time, still in the night it would clearly violate the prescribed VLT limit and would result in poor visibility, which again would be impermissible.

We have created a detailed article on this issue along with the attached supreme court decision at our sister portal bighelpers.org here

http://www.bighelpers.org/content/what-ban-dark-film-glassess-can-t-i-have-dark-film-permissible-limits-128/

Please join us in the discussion at our facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/rtiindia.org

Thank You.

satishtalnikar

What about a light coloured film thorugh which inside of the vehicle is visible? What is 'VLT' by the way?

cmkapoor

What about politicians and high profile.law should be uniform

satishtalnikar

The law is undoubtedly uniform for all. It is its execution which has to be done in a strict manner. After all, its like you and me who can make the executors execute the law uniformly. I would finally say, I start myself to obey the law strictly. Maybe, my kids follow me and so on.....

rtiindia
What about a light coloured film thorugh which inside of the vehicle is visible? What is 'VLT' by the way?

As explained in the article at Bighelpers, no film is allowed.

What about politicians and high profile.law should be uniform

It's only exempted for VIP with a certain set of security requirements, therefore as we stated in the article, a normal official car may not be entitled for the exemption.

The law is undoubtedly uniform for all. It is its execution which has to be done in a strict manner. After all, its like you and me who can make the executors execute the law uniformly. I would finally say, I start myself to obey the law strictly. Maybe, my kids follow me and so on.....

Well said.

Smeeru Thakur

but what about the motor vehicle act which have prescribed the different VLT limits for front and rear and side glasses. Is that law null n void?

praveenpathania

Kindly some one tell hon'ble supreme court that we stay at Delhi and Temp here some times goes up to 45 digree. I am sure every one will suffer this summers. Now forget hot u cant even keep your laptop or other stuff in the car. Worst thing your car is no more a private now.

Shailendrasinh

What about government Vehicle !

virr

Gr8 job by Delhi police

• Like 1

snkmoorthy

why not ask the people to go in open cars so that crime within can be completely eliminated? if anyone thinks that removing films on car windows is going to eliminate crimes, they are in for a surprise? and pray why should VIPS be exempted? are they not capable of crimes? the supreme court order is nothing but an overreach and meddlesome mischief.

paulmarx

Tinting a car's windows is very common post purchase modifications. It is very imperative to remember visible light transmission, or VLT when talking about tinted glass. It refers to the percentage of light that can still pass through a window. Windows with high VLT ratings are more transparent, while a low VLT rating means a darker window. The enforcement of window tinting laws doesnt allow lesser VLT's. Besides increasing driver visibility, the purpose of tint laws is also meant to allow cops to see inside of a vehicle and identify the driver. Too much tint may lead to suspicion in cops mind. But thers always lack of clarity in terms of permissible level of tints and laws for state are always like patchwork quilt..adding and removing..But to remind that as ours is a temperate zone there may be chances of accident due to too much glare in hotdays..so supreme courts statement should be revised shedding ray of light on permissible level of tint and also compulsion in executing "Rule For All".

Ashwanikant

Nice artical

• Like 1

saavee

Thanks to rti. India and specially to - jp.shah from junagadh, for helping me out with the formats !! Without his help the rti. Replies would not have been possible to obtain.

• Like 3

satishtalnikar

I am in 100% agreement with you, Mr. Paulmarx, but what about the tinted glass of the car appearing behind your photo? Is it yours?

paulmarx

Well didnt expect that someone could point it out...gr8 job satish...its just a stranger's car added for photo effect of mine..but nw it may come in use to intensify the awareness against dark tint ..and also may be for the insight it may give in to cognitive and perceptual process of blog readers and also rule makers/breakers.

mikkys

The BIG Question is that has the Supreme Court of India have the jurisdiction to change any law. As as per the motor Vehicle Act tinted glasses with 50 and 70% are allowed?

Also in the case it has been mentioned that Tinted glasses are banned in the United States and United kingdom. I have visited both and have found out that there is no ban on Tinted Glasses there of whose example has been cited in the courts judgment while passing the order.

Thirdly has the Honorable Supreme Court done any comparisons about the Rape cases and other crime prior and post banning tinted glasses. I am pretty sure that there must be no let down in the crime/cases. Tomorrow the courts may even ban us from having bricked walls in houses as many crimes/rapes happen in houses too.

What have the politicians done about it. They have easily made a new law against The Supreme Court Judgment barring criminals/people facing criminal cases from barring to contest elections, But not even a single MP/ political party has ever raised their voice to make a law to allow tinted glasses as to bring comfort to Indian citizens from the scorching heat.

Also pertinent to mention here is THAT WHY FOR A HANDFUL OF CRIMINALS , THE GENRAL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS HAVE BEEN FORCED TO BEAR THE HARSH SUMMER CONDITIONS AND TINTED GLASSES HAD A SAFETY ANGLE FOR WOMEN ETC WHO HAD THE PRIVICAY FROM BEEING SIMPLY IDENTIFIED AS BEING SINGLE OCCUPANTS IN A CAR.. ALSO THAT INCIDENCES OF THEFTS IN CARS HAS INCREASED AS ONE CAN NOW EASILY SEE AL BELONGINGS LYING IN A CAR MAKING THEM MORE LUCRATIVE TO THEFTS. SO IN NO WAY HAS THE JUDGEMENT FULFILLED ITS MOTO ON JUSTICE IN INTEREST OF A COMMAN MAN.