Question

Chavada_Vijay

Hi,

I have completed M.Sc.(Chemistry) with first rank from Gujarat University in July, 2012. I will be awarded with INSPIRE fellowship from DST, Govt. of India perhaps in January, 2013. In many institutions like Indian Institute of Sciences, IITs, JNCASR, CSIR-Laboratories, & Universities from other states provide Direct Admission to PhD if student is awarded such fellowships. But, in Gujarat University this facilities are not provided. so I want to file an RTI to University to get the proper information regarding PhD admission schemes for INSPIRE-fellows. But I don't know where to apply & how. Someone please help me..

16 answers to this question

parsar

Universities are autonomous institutes, So they have designated PIO and FAA, better contact the Registrar of that University.

• Like 1

Chavada_Vijay

Hi... I am unhappy with the admission procedure for PhD & want to file an RTI to Gujarat university for information regarding PhD admission. I need information for the following points.

• I need an Sample or Format of RTI appeal which can be filed to PIO, Admission Department, Gujarat University.
  • How can I send the application using Speed Post & Pay the fees through Postal Order?
  • How can I check the status of RTI appeal?
  • How will I get the required Information, i.e. Whether I will have to reach to them or they will contact me by themselves, or the information will be sent to my address?

:confused::confused:

Please someone help me...!!!

Thanks you all.

DineshK

I am glad that you want to file a RTI application. I request you to visit and study this link first which will answer most of your quarries.

After that you should post your application (copy/paste the text only) and the member will help you to improve it.

We will be happy to assist you at every step.

Chavada_Vijay

Thank you for your answer & I get some idea about RTI filing, but still I need much information about the last point in this thread.

*How will I get the required Information, i.e. Whether I will have to reach to them or they will contact me by themselves, or the information will be sent to my address?

*I don't have any idea about how the information i seek will reach to me & how, when & to whom I have to pay the additional fees (i.e. 2 rs per page, etc.)..

ambrish.p

Dear Member

a. Info or all communication (by the department) will be done on the given address by you.

b.PIO will inform you in writing about the additional fee/copy charges.

regards

ambrish.p

Dear Member

a. Info or all communication (by the department) will be done on the given address by you.

b.PIO will inform you in writing about the additional fee/copy charges.

regards

• Like 1

Chavada_Vijay

I have made a sample of RTI application.. please make a look at it & required corrections are most welcomed..

To,

Public Information Officer (PIO),

Academic Section,

Gujarat University,

Navrangpura-380009

Subject: Request for Information under Right to Information Act 2005

Respected Sir,

I want to obtain following information from you (Gujarat University) under the Right to Information Act, 2005. The details are as under.

Name Chavada Vijay Dineshbhai

Address Ahmedabad-382330

Contact no. XXXXXXXX

Information required is as under:

1. Which guidelines are to be considered for direct admission to PhD in case of students awarded with fellowships from national government agencies?

2. Can such a candidate be enrolled at anytime throughout the year? & which steps he has to follow for direct admission to PhD?

3. Which are the fellowships & the government agencies providing such fellowships, awarded with which a candidate becomes eligible for direct admission into PhD program at Gujarat University?

4. Does the list of such government agencies providing fellowship (eligible for direct admission to PhD) include Department of Science & Technology (DST)? If NO, please specify due to which Act, Rules or Regulations Gujarat University doesn’t consider DST as National Funding Agency (which can facilitate direct admission to PhD through INSPIRE fellowship)?

5. Is a DST-INSPIRE fellow eligible for direct admission to PhD, i.e. 1st rank candidate who is awarded with INSPIRE fellowship need to appear for the written test & GDPI for the same discipline at Gujarat University or not?

I enclose herewith crossed Indian Postal Order for application fees. The details are as under:

Number

Amount Rs.20/-

Drawn in favour of

Date

Issuing post office

I hereby declare that I am a citizen of India. Self attested photocopy of Voter card & PAN card is attached herewith for citizenship proof.

I hereby declare that above details are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Date:

Place:

Signature of applicant

karira

Redraft your queries:

For example:

1. Copy of rules and regulations for direct admission to....

2. List of fellowships available to phd students who take direct......

etc

etc

etc

• Like 1

Chavada_Vijay

Thank you for your suggestions & I have tried to make another RTI application.. please make a look at it whenever you get enough time...

Subject: Request for Information under Right to Information Act 2005

Respected Sir,

I want to obtain following information from you (Gujarat University) under the Right to Information Act, 2005. The details are as under.

Name

Address

Contact no.

1. Is a candidate eligible for direct admission to PhD at Gujarat University who is awarded with INSPIRE fellowship from Department of Science & Technology (DST)? Can such a candidate be enrolled anytime during the year?

2. If NO, please specify due to which Act, Rules or Regulations Gujarat University doesn’t consider DST as National Funding Agency (which can facilitate direct admission to PhD through INSPIRE fellowship)?

I need a photo copy of the following:

1. Copy of rules and regulations for direct admission to PhD (in case of candidates awarded with national fellowship such as DST-INSPIRE).

2. Complete list of fellowships & relevant funding agencies through which a candidate can be directly enrolled to PhD.

I enclose herewith crossed Indian Postal Order for application fees. The details are as under:

Number

Amount Rs.20/-

Drawn in favour of

Date

Issuing post office

I hereby declare that I am a citizen of India. Self attested photocopy of Voter card & PAN card is attached herewith for citizenship proof.

I hereby declare that above details are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Date:

Place:

Signature of applicant

karira

1 & 2 (of information required is as under) need to be reframed....

You are asking for opinion or advice of the PIO. This is not possible under RTI.

You can only ask for "information".

Read Sec 2(f), 2(i) and 2(j) of the RTI act: Right to Information Act 2005

• Like 1

Chavada_Vijay

1. Act, Rules & Regulations of Gujarat University that regulates direct admission to PhD. & What are the guidelines in case of a candidate who is awarded with INSPIRE fellowship from Department of Science & Technology (DST)?

1. Copy of rules and regulations for direct admission to PhD (in case of candidates awarded with national fellowship such as CSIR/DST-INSPIRE).

2. Complete list of fellowships & relevant funding agencies through which a candidate can be directly enrolled to PhD.

karira

Tricky situation - since what you actually require is "clarifications" and "reason for not including something" in the policy.

Since you are located in Gujarat, I suggest just ask for "inspection of the entire file or files related to ................"

When you inspect the relevant files and the file notings, you will understand as to why the University took that decision not to include some fellowships.

However, RTI will not be of any help in forcing any public authority to do (or not to do) something. It will only get you "information".

Maybe, after you get information, you could go to court or use some other method....but that will be too late for your January deadline.

jps50

Following links will be useful to you:

Gujarat:

GUJARAT RTI RULES/FORMATS - Guide

Make effective:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/93-how-make-rti-application-effective.html

Inspection:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/856-how-inspect-under-rti.html

Please address to

Public Information Officer,

Gujarat University,

Navrangpura, Ahmedabad – 380 009

There may not be department or section-wise PIOs.

Do not ask for questions or opinions or clarification as these are not information as defined in RTI Act.

Seek certified photocopies of record only relevant to your problem.

Chavada_Vijay

I have made a sample for RTI application.. please make a look at it & give required suggestions if any.

1. Act, Rules & Regulations of Gujarat University that regulates direct admission to PhD. & What are the guidelines in case of a candidate who is awarded with INSPIRE fellowship from Department of Science & Technology (DST)?

1. Copy of rules and regulations for direct admission to PhD (in case of candidates awarded with national fellowship such as CSIR/DST-INSPIRE).

karira

DO NOT start multiple threads with the same topic/subject !