News Ticker

waltz

Hi guys,

I need some help in framing questions (yes, I know you don't ask "questions" under RTI, but you get my point) regarding the voter registration form I submitted weeks ago. Skip to "RTI Application" part of my post if you don't have time.

Why?

While I understand I shouldn't be using RTI for such personal grievance purposes (at least that's what I have been told), the reason why I'm inclined to use it because I couldn't get proper answers from the staff at my VREC or the official Helpline of CEODelhi. Here's the telephonic conversation of how it went:

I called the Helpline (1950) to enquire about the status of my application:

Me: Hello, would you able to help me with the status of my voter's application?

Helpline: When did you submit your application?

Me: Three weeks ago

Helpline: *smug laugh*, voter registration is a 2 months process.

Me: Okay, thank you, bu...

Helpline: You will get a phone call and will be requested to visit and submit your documents.

Hang-up

I then decided to try my luck with my constituency VREC:

Me: Hello, could you please let me know how long does the voter registration process takes?

VREC: One month. Have you submitted your application?

Me: Yes, I've submitted form 6 online.

VREC: What's your name?

Me: , I also have an application ID...

VREC: It'd be better if you personally visit the VREC. When did you submit your application?

Me: Three weeks ago

VREC: Then we haven't got it yet.

Me: But... I didn't even give you my application ID...

VREC: Did you get any phone call?

Me: No.

VREC: You'll get a call and will be asked to visit and submit your documents. After that process you'll be issued an ID card in a month.

Me: But I have already uploaded the documents.

VREC: Yes but you'll get a call and will be asked to visit and submit your documents.

Me: ...

Me: Okay... Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, what I don't understand is how could the online process delay the process by one month (see VREC response). I thought they'd receive my application almost instantly. Secondly, both places emphasised on "phone call" and personal visit to deliver the documents (which I of course don't mind), but according to the FAQs on :: Chief Electoral Officer, Delhi :: the BLO should be visiting my place for house verification AND to obtain my signature and collect the documents (if not uploaded) - or possibly verify the originals.

RTI Application:

This is my first attempt at writing a RTI application, I will really appreciate your inputs.

RTI Template: http://i.imgur.com/37uRC.jpg (100kb)

Information requested:

1. Please inform me whether the ERO/AERO of "___________" Assembly Constituency has received voter's registration [form 6] application ID XXXXXX dated XX, XXXX, XXXX?
  2. Please provide me the details of the actions taken on aforementioned application (2.1).
  3. Please inform me the current status of the aforementioned application (2.1).
  4. Please inform me whether there are any rules / guidelines under which the enrolment of the voter and the issuance of EPIC must be done under specific period of time.
  5. Please provide me the name and designation of the officer/s responsible for the maintenance of online enrolment system located on http://ceodelhi.gov.in/
  6. Please provide me the name and designation of the officer/s responsible for the processing and transferring of online voter applications to their designated VREC.
  7. Please inform me whether VREC are required by any rules/guidelines to obtain Age/Residence Proof documents from an applicant even if the documents were uploaded during the online registration process.
  8. Please provide me the list of proofs of residence that are acceptable.

Point #8 is already answered on the CEODelhi website but I would like to know if there has been any modifications.

Am I making sense here?

DineshK

Your application is ok. But before sending the application please check status of your application using following steps.

1. go to log-in page of ceodelhi site.

2. Login with the username and password you used during registration.

3. Click on the link "application status" given on left hand panel.

4. Click on "on line form 6 status"

5. You will find the current status of your application. Check the screen shot below.

voter status.jpg

waltz

Oh yes, I've had checked the application status (that's how I got my application ID). The status at present is "Pending for AERO Approval", which it has been since the third day of my submission (processing of online applications takes about two days, I think). Correct me if I'm wrong, AERO are appointed at every VREC, right? In that case the people at VREC should have at least acknowledge the submission of my voter form/application?

Thank you.

DineshK

OK. In that case file you RTI application and AERO will definately contact you as soon as he get the application.

But you should file your application with SDM (Election) of your district and not to the CEO office.

Check the list of PIO at this link.

And your postal order of Rs 10 should be drawn in favor of Accounts Officer, Chief Electoral Officer.

waltz

That makes sense. I'll change the mailing address to SDM (Election) of my district.

About the IPO, thank you. I'll send the RTI in a few days, and hopefully update this thread after I get some response.

Again, thank you for your help.

waltz

Here's an update: I sent the RTI on 1st October, but it returned because of incomplete address (my mistake), resent it yesterday on 4th October. Expecting a response next week.

Online filling of forms (/login page) was closed on September ~24th and is to be remained closed till 15th October (they've changed this date twice already - first 25th September, then 5th October), but what's most interesting is when I check my application status, it's been accepted (on 3rd/4th Oct) and I now have my Voter ID number and my name on the electoral list. In fact, they've processed almost all voters' applications that have been submitted till 1st October.

I don't think they're issuing any EPIC card at this moment, so I'd probably have to wait until 15th October. I do however am curious what the PIO / SDM (Election) would reply back to me.

waltz

Got reply from the PIO.

1. Yes
  2. Application has been accepted and EPIC is prepared.
  3. Same as above
  4. Pertained to HQ
  5. Pertained to HQ
  6. AERO of the centre
  7. Pertained to HQ
  8. As form guidelines (copy enclosed).

(8 was a copy of form guidelines which is same as the ceo website)

Reply was dated 10/10/2012.

Since I haven't received my EPIC yet, I enquired my VREC today to know if they have issued or sent me EPIC (as the PIO said), their reply was:

VREC: "ICard will be issued after 25th January 2013"

Me: "I mean for those who have already been accepted, before this special summary session"

VREC: "Your name would be the electoral list"

Me: "Yes, it is now."

VREC: "But printing of ICard is closed. You'll get your ICard after 25th January"

*facepalm* So all in all, did I get wrong information from the PIO? (#2)

P.S. SDM/PIO forwarded my questions to my VREC AERO, what I received from the SDM was the scanned copy of AERO's reply.

karira

1. File a first appeal that for items 4, 5 & 7 of your RTI application, the PIO should have transferred the RTI application to the PIO of HO.

Just stating "pertained to HO" is no information at all. In your first appeal pray for the complete information to be given to you and the PIO to be hauled up for not transferring the application to the PIO of HO.

First appeal is to be filed within 30 days of getting the PIOs reply.

2. Based on the "information" that you already received, file a detailed complaint with the Election Commission with your complete experience/dates and request them to take action against the department which was supposed to issue those EPIC cards.

waltz

Karira, Thank you. I decided that before sending a complaint to Election Commission, I'd file another RTI application, only this time I'd be asking for certified copies and limit my questions to EPIC. Along with that, I'd clearly note all sections under which I'd be asking for reasons/information separately.

I sent it on 31st Oct, 2012. And on 6th November, some officer from my VREC personally visited my house (suddenly they became all polite and humble), asked me to come with him to get my EPIC. I was told they had been getting lots of trouble and calls right from the PIO (SDM) to their own staff members because my RTI, and were genuinely quite surprised to know that someone of my age (I'm 19) would use RTI act.

Again, I really appreciate the help I got from Karira and DineshK. And of course, RTI act. :)

P.S. Perhaps this thread should be moved to RTI Success.

karira
:)

P.S. Perhaps this thread should be moved to RTI Success.

I can move it....but would you like to wait till you get your Voter Card in your hand ?

waltz

^ I already have it, they handed me over the EPIC (voter card) right there in the office.

karira

​Moved to Success Stories section

Knowledgeseeker1

Vikram Prasad

hi did you get any reply for the time limit laid down for the issue of voter id, like is there any citizen charter for it, If there is any information kindly share it.

Thanks,

Vikram Prasad

nikunj.shah

Hi all,

My question is - w.r.t. to this link http://ceodelhi.gov.in/WriteReadData/17Manuals/manual16.pdf , does District Election Officer ( who is also district collector) happens to be First Appellate authority if my RTI is addressed to CPIO, SDM (Election) ? My assembly constituency is Nandurbar 03, Maharashtra in Nandurbar District. Or it will be someone else.

I submitted mine & my parents' online voter ID applications (for name addition and change in part no. of electoral roll) on 26/September/2013. As I guessed, concerned staff here were not familiar with online processing of Voter registrations. At tehsildar office, they insisted me to submit paper forms instead of online forms but I preferred online since I had uploaded all supporting documents and photos and with a thought that it would benefit many others who might have submitted online voter registration forms (6, 6A, 7, 8, 8A). After repeatedly meeting SDM (Election) and Dy. DEO in their offices and requesting them to process my applications, things didn't seem to move. I was being told to approach tehsildar and they told to visit SDM office. Tired of running from pillar to post, eventually I filed RTI application based on this thread and some similar questions. I submitted my RTI application on 14/Oct/2013 and awaited till today i.e. 29/November/2013 and even reminded SDM office twice that the limit is exceeded. --------> Voter ID_RTI - Copy.pdf

Prasad GLN

Immediately file First appeal on Grounds of Deemed refusal and send it by Speed post. Also add that the applicant is being deliberately prevented from exercising his constitutional right due to abnormal and unreasonable delay by concerned officials. One hopes you will certainly hear a positive reply within 15 days from receipt of your first appeal by AA. (Please go through Maharashtra RTI rules and regulations while filing RTI)

nikunj.shah

G. L. N. Prasad Sir & Everyone,

I agree with your suggestion and I've drafted appeal for FAA however I'm unsure if DEO (District Election Officer) is the FAA in this case. I've uploaded my RTI application pdf for reference. Also you've mentioned to go through Maharashtra RTI rules, I'm not sure if SDM (Election) comes under jurisdiction of State of Maharashtra or under the Election commission of India (i.e. Central Govt.). I filed it assuming this particular task comes under ECI (Central Govt.) and kept my application within 500 words. However for Maharashtra, limit is only 150 words. Please help me clear this doubt too....Thanks again.

Prasad GLN

1.Census/Election/voter Registration work is entrusted for implementation through State Govt.,

2.Merely because information solicited exceeds certain limit, information can not be denied.

Rest assured, that you will certainly get your voter card with photo identity soon. If State Govt., entrusted some works through electronic service centers like "E Seva" in AP, you can approach through these centers also for Voter Registration.

nikunj.shah

Hi Everyone,

This is in reference to earlier post, seeking details of FAA regarding my RTI. I had filed First appeal to FAA on 12/Dec/2013 and waited a month for hearing and reply but none received until date. Now I need information about who is next in the hierarchy - is it State Information Commission of Maharashtra Govt. or CIC. Also please share address of SIC of Maharashtra. I need to send further appeal ASAP.

Prasad GLN

You have to wait for 45 days + postal transit 5 days time to file First appeal. As your first appeal was filed on 12th Dec, 13, you may file first appeal during first week of Feb, 13.

If you are not aware of FAA address, file FAA c/o the same office where you have filed RTI, as PIO will be coming to know of this and some times you may receive priority.

FAA is an officer superior to PIO and if PIO is state Govt, II appellate autority must be SIC. If PIO is Central Govt., then CIC.

nikunj.shah

Please see next post...

nikunj.shah

Thank you G.L.N. Prasad and Raveena_O for your replies.

Now there is a trivial query....in my RTI, I wrote Central Public Information officer instead of SPIO. Will it make make any difference when I'll file appeal with the SIC since until date they have not replied to my RTI. And also I just came to know that while filing appeal with FAA or SIC (Second Appeal), then I have to apply court fee stamp of Rs.20. I didn't apply that. Will my appeal with SIC have merit if I proceed with these two mistakes? Please reply. Thank you.

Prasad GLN

In Maharashtra there is prescribed fee for First Appeal under RTI. It can be paid either in Court fee or Indian Postal Order. Please go through Maharashtra RTI rules and regulations available in the site.

Have you remitted prescribed RTI fee with RTI Application and are you sure that it is a State Govt., and that you have not received any information within 40 days from date of your RTI Application. IF RTI Application is sent through PIO with RTI fee forget the rest. In case of wrong address, they should have returned the entire application and refunded the fee.

Now file first appeal before APpellate Authority with prescribed fee, and if you do not know or can not find the correct address, send envelope First Appellate Authority (RTI) C/o..................dept.,, preserve postal receipt by pasting on TOP right portion of your first appeal office copy.

In India, still every one has to know the exact procedure of RTI and small and negligible mistakes may not count. So proceed further, if you fail to receive reply even after your first appeal, then you have to file second appeal before SIC.