svrameshkumar

Why Indian Tourism charges high on foreigners

Question

svrameshkumar

Hi,

This is Ramesh, a wellwisher for the society wherever i live.

--------------------

Indian Tourism:-

Why the entry fees(e.g, Taj mahal) are diffenent for foreigners and indians which we dont see in most of the countries?

Thank you,

-Ramesh

5 answers to this question

wehelp

Dear Ramesh This forum is for RTI issues for non-RTI issues please visit our sister site www.bighelpers.org

karira
Hi,

Indian Tourism:-

Why the entry fees(e.g, Taj mahal) are diffenent for foreigners and indians which we dont see in most of the countries?

Thank you,

-Ramesh

Good question !

Why don't you ask the Ministry of Tourism under the RTI Act 2005 ?

(Not RTI related: As per news reports, in view of the present economic scenario all over the world, the Ministry is seriously considering reducing charges for Foreigners)

sandeepbaheti

As a student of management I feel that this is a very good move by the Indian government. This is because localites spend very little on their trip compared to foreign travellers. As such, the entry fees is a very small proportion of total expenses for foreign tourists whereas for Indians, it is comparitively a large proportion of their total expenditure on travel. Therefore if Indian tourists are made to pay a large sum as entry fees, many of them will choose not to visit the Taj. On the other hand, if foreigners have decided to visit India, they won't cancel the trip merely because they are having to pay a few hundred rupees extra as entry fees. Thus this approach is helpful in maximizing the revenue from tourism.

For your information, tourism is no longer considered as charity and is increasingly becoming an important contributor to the nation's economy.

Many other places, for example Disney World, USA have similar arrangement.

The only purpose of this post is to save you the cost of filing an unnecessary RTI application.

svrameshkumar
As a student of management I feel that this is a very good move by the Indian government. This is because localites spend very little on their trip compared to foreign travellers. As such, the entry fees is a very small proportion of total expenses for foreign tourists whereas for Indians, it is comparitively a large proportion of their total expenditure on travel. Therefore if Indian tourists are made to pay a large sum as entry fees, many of them will choose not to visit the Taj. On the other hand, if foreigners have decided to visit India, they won't cancel the trip merely because they are having to pay a few hundred rupees extra as entry fees. Thus this approach is helpful in maximizing the revenue from tourism.

For your information, tourism is no longer considered as charity and is increasingly becoming an important contributor to the nation's economy.

Many other places, for example Disney World, USA have similar arrangement.

The only purpose of this post is to save you the cost of filing an unnecessary RTI application.

Thank you for the reply. As an indian, i also feel proud for the initiatives, supports and move which our government takes everyday.

We know that there are many poor conuntries in this world as compared to India. So if our toursim is fixing the price based on countires spending capabilites, then our country charges are unjustifiable.

Tourism makes not only revenue, but also providng a platform for foreigners to understand our cultures which they wont feel in any part of this world.

I have posted this question on this site was due to a foreigner from SouthAfrica, who visited India recently along with his family, have had a plan to visit 5 important tourism spots and dropped 3 of them due to charges and he call it as a DISCRIMINATION.

I understand from most of this community member that, this will not categorized under RTI. I appologize for my posting at wrong place.

Thankyou all

-Ramesh

briancox

Indian Govt. is spending huge amount of it's revenue for providing securities and hospitality for the foreigners.Also the transportation and accommodation is provided at the reasonable price. Govt. is advertising different tourism places in international brands like Discovery channel and Advertisement through internet etc.