News Ticker
  • NPAs under PM Modi's Mudra scheme jumped 126% in FY19
  • shows RTI
  • RTI query reveals banking frauds of ₹ 2.05 Trillion reported in the last 11 years
  • 509 per cent rise in cases under child labour law: Study
  • The Central Information Commission has allowed disclosure of file notings on the mercy petition of a rape and murder convict, rejecting the government's contention that the records cannot be disclosed as these are privileged documents under Article 74(2) of the Constitution.
  • Electoral bonds worth over ₹5,800 crore were bought by donors to fund political parties between March 1, 2018 and May 10, 2019, a Right to Information reply has said.
  • Don't pay 500/- for answer sheet now- Supreme Court says if Answer sheet is asked under RTI, RTI Fees will be governed
jps50

‘Fill up posts of ten information commissioners’

jps50

‘Fill up posts of ten information commissioners’ - The Times of India

Times of India, Bhopal

‘Fill up posts of ten information commissioners’

TNN | Jan 24, 2013, 06.59 AM IST

BHOPAL: Madhya Pradesh high court on Wednesday directed the state government to initiate process for filling up the 10 vacant posts of information commissioners (ICs) in the state information commission (SIC) within three weeks. The HC also directed the state to provide equal opportunity to all qualified persons in selection process and to keep it transparent.

A division bench of the MP high court, Jabalpur, presided by Chief Justice S A Bobade and Justice K K Trivedi issued the order while hearing a PIL filed by RTI activist Ajay Dubey.

The PIL highlighted that the government's lethargy in filling up posts of information commissioners led to pendency of over 7,000 applications before the commission. "It violates rights of the citizen to get justice under RTI Act", the litigant noted.

The court also directed the state to issue advertisement inviting applications from all concerned after the petitioner, demanded transparency in appointments.

Almost all posts of ICs had been lying vacant since 2010 and the state government was turning a deaf ear to several representations on the issue, said the PIL

Counsel for the petitioner Siddhartha Radhelal Gupta contended that the government action amounted to throttling transparency law thus, violating citizen's right to know under the Right to Information Act.

jps50

Some on has to do so in Rajasthan also, which has only Chief IC.

karira

And Jharkhand also....

But remember it took Ajay Dubey 2 years to get this order from the MP High Court ! The SIC is empty since 2010.

If you visit the MP HC website and search for judgments related to RTI, you will find 15 or 16 in total.

Out of these 10 or 11 are related to petitioners filing WP in the HC ONLY praying for directions for early hearing in SIC. The court should have realised that something was wrong when so many similar WPs are filed before it. However it did not and all those judgments simply say "file a urgent hearing petition before SIC".

All are copy/paste type of judgments.

When there is no CIC or IC in SIC, whom to file a a urgent hearing petition with ?

jps50

I could not get judgement from website of MP HC, may be it would not have been uploaded by now. Judgement is of 23/01/2013. In case no action is taken by Govt, petitioner will have to move contempt petition to bring the issue to its logical conclusion. In Gujarat, HC had ordered appointment of two additional [temporary basis till clearance of back log] ICs on 14-08-2012, but due to election the matter would not have moved. It may now move. Last time in 2010 when late Amit Jethwa obtained such judgement, 2 additional ICs with all staff was appointed well within time. Delay is our national disease and 2 years is nothing, when rape cases are languishing in HCs for more than a decade and one case for 8 years in SC. Time limits are for common citizens and not govts.

karira
Delay is our national disease and 2 years is nothing, when rape cases are languishing in HCs for more than a decade and one case for 8 years in SC. Time limits are for common citizens and not govts.

Just digressing from the main topic......

I saw a case decided by the Supreme Court in 2010 which had been originally filed in the Allahabad High Court in 1952 !

That is 58 years before the finality.

I am sure that the Hon'ble Judge of the SC, who decided the final matter, was not even born when the original case was filed in the Allahabad HC.

smbhappy
Appoint Info Commissioners within 3 weeks: High Court | The Freepress Journal

January 24, 2013 12:47:22 AM | By OUR STAFF REPORTER BHOPAL

[h=1]Appoint Info Commissioners within 3 weeks: High Court[/h]Govt directed to issue ads seeking applicationsBhopal: A double bench of chief justice Sharad Arvind Bobde and Justice KK Trivedi issued directives to Madhya Pradesh to fill up vacancies of Information Commissioners in the state within three weeks.The high court asked the government to issue advertisement to call applications from all concerned while hearing a public interest litigation filed by RTI activist Ajay Dubey.The petitioner pleaded that due to disdainful attitude of State Government, all the posts of info commissioners are lying vacant for the last almost one- and- half years, leading to huge pendency of more than 7000 appeals in State Information Commission.

Can someone post a copy of the above judgement of Madhya Pardech High Court, Please!!!!!!

karira

Two threads on the same subject/topic have been merged.

​Please read the full thread above.

• Like 1

smbhappy
I could not get judgement from website of MP HC, may be it would not have been uploaded by now. Judgement is of 23/01/2013.

Its alteady 26 January 2013 - I am still unable to find it on the website of MPHC. There are three benches at Jabbalpur (main), Indore and Gwalior. Since the above petition was heard by Chief Justice, It could be in Jabbalpur Bench. But I am unable to locate it. Will abybody else try it. Thanks. The Punjab Information Commission is looking for it and requested me to provide the same.

karira
The Punjab Information Commission is looking for it and requested me to provide the same.

The Punjab SIC seems to be suddenly getting interested in court judgments !

What has happened to it to generate this sudden interest ?

smbhappy

I am after it. I have started their education series. you are also reciving ny mails. I also argue with them and I meet the Ics (off court) to discuss the things. I suddenly ask for the inspection of the office record and request documents from the file as well as I send them feedbacks. I compare the working of different Information Commissions and point out the drawback in Punjab Information Commission's working. I have benn instrumental in filing a number of CWPs against the Commission and a couple of Consumer Cases against the PIO of Commission. A couple of petitions for rhe dismissal of the Commissioners and one case is in High Court. They are just on their toes. I am just keeping them amused with the Namit Sharma Judgement, every now and then.

So please get me that that Madhya Pardesh HC Judgement.

smbhappy

The Particulas of Ajay Dubey are as under:

Ajay Dubey

LIG-2, BDA Flats, Sector-C,

Shahpura, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh

0755-2428187

Some one may contact him and get the copy of Judgement

smbhappy

Still no information.

Some one from MP may please take the initiative to get in touch with Mr. Dubey and get the copy of the Order and post it here, please!!

smbhappy

The Judgement of the Madhya Pardesh High Court (courtesy Mr. Ajay Dubey) is attached. This is an interem order of the High Court and the next date has been fixed for 18 February 2013.

MP High Court Order.jpg

• Similar Content

• karira
      By karira
      As reported by IANS in sify.com on 21 January 2011:
      RTI Awards presented in Delhi

RTI Awards presented in Delhi

New Delhi, Jan 20 (IANS) From a sports teacher to widow of a slain cop, five people from various walks of life were felicitated here Thursday for effective use of the Right to Information Act.

The winners, including Vinita Kamte, widow of Mumbai Police officer Ashok Kamte who was killed in the Nov 26, 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack, were shortlisted from 726 applications received by the jury appointed by non-governmental organisation Public Cause Research Foundation, set up by RTI activist Arvind Kejriwal.

The jury included Infosys chief mentor N.R. Narayana Murthy, former chief justice of India J.S. Verma, former chief election commissioner J.M. Lyngdoh and journalist Madhu Trehan.

Manoj Kumar Karwasra, a sports teacher in Hisar district of Haryana, filed several RTI applications to expose how government land had been encroached by the panchayat members themselves.

'I have great feeling now. It will boost my morale,' Karwasra told IANS.

Mahiti Adhikar Gujarat Pahel, a helpline service for RTI queries which was launched in May 2006 and claims that it has received more than 60,000 calls till now, was one of the winners.

Sadhna Pandya, coordinator of helpline, said the award will increase their responsibility.

'We receive calls from across the country in various languages,' she said.

Athar Shamsi, an advocate from Faizabad in Uttar Pradesh, was also honoured for fighting for the rights of the beedi workers who were not being paid their full wages by factory owners.

The workers were allegedly paid just Rs.27-34 per thousand beedis made, as against the minimum wage of Rs.60.

The other winners of the Best RTI Citizen award were Ramesh Kumar Verma from Haryana and Rajan Savlo Ghate from Goa. The Best RTI Journalist award went to Saikat Dutta of Outlook for exposing a Rs.2,500 crore-scam in rice exports.

Pradeep Kumar from Bilaspur in Himachal Pradesh received the Best Public Information Officer award.
    • karira
      By karira
      As reported in greaterkashmir.com on 20 January 2011:
      RTI activist attacked in Doda Lastupdate:- Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:30:00 GMT GreaterKashmir.com

RTI activist ‘attacked’ in Doda

Doda, Jan 20: Unidentified persons attacked an Right to Information (RTI) activist at Bhandoga area in Doda district on Monday.

According to locals, Safdar Ali was assaulted by a group of men after he protested against the alleged misappropriation of funds in the construction of a village tank, which collapsed after few days.

“Despite filing of FIR, police has failed to take any substantial action against the culprits,” Safdar Ali said.

“We have documented seven recent attacks on RTI users and activists,” a communiqué issued by JKRTI Movement said adding the activists were facing severe threats from unscrupulous elements.

“The government has a legal and moral responsibility to stop these attacks,” said Haq Nawaz Nehru, a prominent RTI activist.

“We appeal to the Chief Minister, Omar Abdullah and Director General of Police, Kuldeep Khoda to intervene in the matter,” he said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy