BSNL delayed responding to an RTI applicant by more than one and half years which had sought to know the BSNL complaint redressal mechanism itself and then BSNL provided information a day before the case was listed for hearing at Central Information Commission. Central Information Commission rightly ordered compensation for the inconvenience caused due to non reply of an RTI. CIC found that BSNL could not reply to the RTI application and therefore, in exercise of the powers vested in the CIC in Section 19(8)(b) of the RTI Act directed the department BSNL to compensate RTI applicant by an amount of Rs.750/- for the inconvenience and detriment caused to him.
Under Section 19 (8) (b), “the Central Information Commission or State Information Commission, as the case may be, has the power to require the public authority to compensate the complainant for any loss or other detriment suffered;”
From the CIC decision posted on the website, it is clear that the RTI applicant telephone was not in working order from a lot of time and he had to run from pillar to post to get his telephone put in working order. The consumer then applied under RTI to know the mechanism by which such complaints like his are addressed by BSNL. He applied RTI to BSNL on 17/10/2012 and CPIO provided this information on 1st June 2014 a day before the case was listed for hearing at CIC.
Dr. Haroon Siddiqui from Allahabad after getting fed up with the non working of the phone has applied for
the following information/documents:-
- The date of establishment of “Telecom Complaint Redressal Centre” for L.L/BB internet in your service area at Allahabad.
- The numbers of Land Line/Mobile phones available in these centers and its details numbers.
- The number of staffs, the names, designation in these centers.
- The time of lodging the complaint including the Sunday/holidays in these centers, whether it is registered by giving a unique docket number.
- Whether in a time bound manner for resolution of complaint and the action taken is communicated to the customers through SMS as per guide line of TRAI.
- The detail of setting up of a “Web based complaint monitoring system” where the customers can track their complaints.
- The details of IRVS or Interactive Voice Response is installed as per TRAI rules.
- The name, address of the appellant authority for Redressal of the complaint and copy of procedure for filing of appeal.
BSNL complaint redressal mechanism
The appellant stated that the information has been provided only yesterday and he needs some more details regarding query (c). He pleaded that due to non-provision of information he suffered detriment and had to run from pillar to post to get his telephone put in working order and some compensation should be allowed. The CPIO stated that he will provide the remaining information.
The CPIO is directed to provide the information as above to the appellant within 15 days from the date of receipt of this order.
From the foregoing it is apparent that the appellant did not receive the information till the matter came up for hearing. For the inconvenience caused to him, he deserves to be compensated. Therefore, in exercise of the powers vested in the CIC in Section 19(8)(b) of the RTI Act we direct the department to compensate him by an amount of Rs.750/- for the inconvenience and detriment caused to him. Accordingly, the CPIO should ensure that this amount is remitted to the appellant by demand draft/pay order within 21 days from the date of receipt of this order. The decision is available here!
Have you faced similar problems or do you have anything to add to the story, post it in the comments.