AFROZ ALAM SAHIL
I am a trained journalist, documentary & film maker and an RTI activist with an MA in Mass Communication from Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI). I have more than seven years of combined experience (2005-2013) in community service, activism, film making, fact finding and research on media and RTI. My work as a journalist and RTI activist has received national recognition and won more than four awards in last three years. Along with a published monograph on “RTI Act and Media” and three more forthcoming, I have extensively published in print newspapers and online news and views portals. I have worked for the broadcast media TV-9, South Asia based news agency UNI, leading Hindi newspaper Hindustan of Hindustan Times Group and have been a regular columnist for leading Urdu newspapers including Inquilab and Asia Express. My writings have covered the challenges and issues of the minority community with a special focus on their socio-economic and political empowerment. I have filed more than five thousand RTIs and have received several important documents in response. Since 2005 I have written more than 1000 opinion and RTI based articles for newspapers, websites and magazines in all three languages of Hindi, Urdu and English. I have made several documentaries and films. My award winning film “Eidiyaan” has been screened at more than 8 film festivals throughout India.
Awards and Achievements:
1. Person of the Year-2010 by Twocircles.net (TCN), Boston, USA and Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt of India.
2. AGRI Youth Icon & Journalist of Year-2010 by AGRI Mumbai.
3. Awarded by Universal Knowledge Trust, in appreciation of Extra-ordinary community service in 2011.
4. Excellence Award-2011 by Society for Promotion of Professional Academic and Cultural Excellence and Vivekananda International Foundation.
5. Felicitated by TCN in 2011 at Taj President, Mumbai.
6. Idrisia Award-2012 by Idrisia National Foundation.
7. Felicitated by AMU Student Union in 2012 at Kenedy Hall, AMU, Aligarh.
8. Felicitated by Solidarity & SIO in 2012 at Difference & Democracy Conference in Ernakulam, Kerela.
1. Founder Member and Editor (Investigations), BeyondHeadlines (www.beyondheadlines.in)
2. Founder Member, INSAAN International Foundation (Initiative for Nation’s Service and Affirmative Action Network)
3. Convener, Forum for Student Democracy (FSD)
4. Executive Committee Member, People’s Campaign for Politics of Terror
5. Executive Committee Member, Association for Protection of Civil Rights (APCR), Delhi
6. Contributing Columnist at leading Urdu newspaper Inquilab
RTI Trainings and Workshops:
1. Attended number of Social Audit activities in Rajasthan with ArunaRoy, Nikhil Dey and Jean Drèze.
2. Worked on Right to Information Act-2005, especially for Bihar and Delhi’s Youth (DU, IPU, JNU, IIT Delhi and Jamia) with different NGOs and different RTI Activist like Aruna Roy, Arvind Kejriwal, Sandeep Pandey, Nikhil Dey, Shankar Singh, Manish Sisodia, SuchiPandey etc
3. Worked as a Media Co-ordinator in JOSH (Joint Operation for Social Help) which works on RTI Act-2005.
4. Research on Section-4 of RTI Act-2005, RTI and Media and Popularity of Radio amongst the Youth.
5. Organised many Campaigns in West Camparan (Bihar) on Right to Information Act—2005.
Send Message to listing owner
AFROZ ALAM SAHIL