Talib Hussain

Question

Talib Hussain

Hi Everybody,

I am having some doubts regarding my first RTI Application, which I am going to send to SBI.

1) Does the last 6 points in Sample RTI Application form - Downloads - RTI INDIA- Right to Information sample RTI Application posted here have to be written in every Application?

2) Does the RTI Application have word limit?

3) If I ask for xerox copies of some documents, and I am not sure about the total cost, how should I pay them, i.e, first I will ask them the information under RTI. Then, they will ask me to deposit the fees for xerox, then I will deposit the fees, and then they will send the information asked by me?

Thanks & Regards,

Talib Hussain

10 answers to this question

G.R.Vidyaranya

All six points need not be retained in the application e.g. 3 and 4 can be deleted if not applicable.

Similarly (2) can be modified to read as "I need the photocopy of the documents and I will deposit the cost of the photocopy on receipt of information from you".

RTI application has a word limit of 500 words but the header footer of the letter are not counted in it.

If you are not sure of the cost (and number of pages) you can just remit the initial fee of Rs.10/- and wait for the reply from PIO to remit the cost of documents. The period from the time PIO writes to you for additional payment up to the time you pay the fees and show the receipt to PIO will not be counted for the period of thirty days. If you do not get the documents within thirty days from your original RTI application submission date till receipt of documents (excluding above period for payment of additional fee) you can ask for refund of pay paid.

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

1. That form has some errors on it, please download the form on the following link for filing your RTI Application:

2. There is word limit of 500 words for the section "Description of Required Information"

3. You are supposed to enclose only an Indian Postal Order (IPO) of Rs. 10/- as RTI fees, while filing a RTI Application.

As far as the cost of providing information is concerned - as per section 7(3)(a) of the RTI Act, the PIO will inform you about the further fees towards the cost (xerox / photocopy charges) of providing the requested information and you will need to pay those charges only when they are demanded by the PIO in response to your RTI Application.

Please find section 7(3)(a) quoted below for your ready reference:

Section 7(3) Where a decision is taken to provide the information on payment of any further fee representing the cost of providing the information, the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall send an intimation to the person making the request, giving—

(a) the details of further fees representing the cost of providing the information as determined by him, together with the calculations madeto arrive at the amount in accordance with fee prescribed under sub-section (1), requesting him to deposit that fees, and the period intervening between the despatch of the said intimation and payment of fees shall be excluded for the purpose of calculating the period of thirty days referred to in that sub-section;

(b) information concerning his or her right with respect to review the decision as to the amount of fees charged or the form of access provided, including the particulars of the appellate authority, time limit, process and any other forms.

Talib Hussain

Thanks Vidyaranya and abhi987 for the reply. I have more doubts regarding yours answers:

1) How will the PIO tell me about the additional fees that I have to submit. I will write all my contact details, i.e., my address, contact number and email address. Will it be through registered post?

2) How should I pay the additional fees to the PIO. By the same process, i.e., IPO?

The text written in SBI website is as follows:

Payment of RTI Fee & Cost of Information

The RTI fee and the cost of information, where applicable, is to be paid by Demand Draft or Bankers Cheque or IPO in the name of ‘State Bank of India’ and payable at the centre where CPIO is located. Alternatively, applicant may deposit the prescribed fee in the ‘P & T Charges Recovered Account’ at any branch of the State Bank of India and will attach counterfoil thereof in original with the application / request while forwarding it to the CPIO / CAPIO. A voucher has been specially designed by the Bank for depositing the RTI fee / additional fee.

3) If my RTI application is not entertained and/or rejected, how will I know? How will he/she inform me?

4) The 30 day deadline starts from which date? From the date the post reaches the department or the date I post it from the post office?

Thanks & Regards,

Talib Hussain

• Moderators
ambrish.p

Dear Member

Issue no.1: PIO will inform you in writing, you need to provide communication address (only) where you can easily get the letters. Yes PIO will reply by regd./speed post.

Issue no.2: Its your choice, you can pay the same by IPO or you can pay the same by using the voucher (mentioned by you) as per your convenience.

Issue no. 3: Application cannot be simply rejected, if info has to be denied, it has to be denied under the provisions of RTI. Yes in any case, PIO will inform you in writing.

Issue no.4: Counting of 30 days starts from the date of receipt of the application by PIO/office.

Also refer: http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/jps50/1200-acpio-cpio-banks.html

Regards

Ambrish

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

1. He will intimate you on your postal address through post.

2. You may pay by enclosing aggregating IPOs of the correct amount, you may also choose to pay by other methods such as Cash against proper receipt or by Bankers Cheque, Demand Draft, please also refer to the following link for Central Govt. RTI Rules:

Central RTI Rules and Fees and information about CIC - Guide

3. The PIO will inform you in his reply by post, but please be aware that in an event where a PIO rejects your request for information, you can appeal against a PIO's decision with the concerned First Appellate Authority.

4. The 30 day deadline starts from the date of receipt of your RTI Application by the PIO.

For more information on that please refer to the following link:

• Moderators

Please refer:

Long pending ? :

Any Thing Pending With Govt? - Blogs - RTI INDIA- Right to Information

Central Govt. application:

Rti Application For Central Govt Info - Blogs - RTI INDIA- Right to Information

HOW TO FILE RTI:

How to make rti application effective? - Blogs - RTI INDIA- Right to Information

Since all branch heads of SBI are designated as ACPIO under RTI Act, you can submit application at any branch by paying Rs.10 in cash and amending clause 4 of RTI application to read as "Filing Fee: Paid Rs.10 in cash to ACPIO" and obtaining dated acknowledgement on photocopy of RTI application from branch head with his rubber stamp.

You can pay other charges by IPO or depositing with any branch of the bank by showing the letter. There is simple pay-in-slip for depositing other charges in cash in branch [as we deposit cash in our bank account] and send counter foil to CPIO. However, I will prefer IPO which you can send directly to CPIO. If amount is deposited in branch, CPIO will take time to get confirmation from branch which may entail delay.

Talib Hussain

Thanks ambrish.p, abhi987 & jps50 for your answers,

I have more doubts on your answers. Kindly help me.

1) If the additional fees is required for xerox copies of documents, as the PIO have asked for this. So I have decided to make an IPO of the required amount or to deposit the additional fees in the 'P & T Charges Recovered Account’. How should I send this proof of payment made to SBI ,i.e., the IPO or the counterfoil? By Registered Post/Speed Post? Can this be done by Ordinary Post? Is this necessary?

2) Should I need to have a xerox copy of IPO?

3) I am sending this RTI application to Central Recruitment & Promotion Department of SBI which is in Nariman Point, Mumbai. And I live in Mayur Vihar Phase 3, New Delhi. So what should I do in this case. Should I send it to Nariman Point by Registered Post/Speed Post or hand deliver it to CAPIO in Mayur Vihar Phase 3 SBI Branch, New Delhi. Kindly suggest me the best and appropriate way.

Refer : https://www.sbi.co.in/user.htm?action=viewsection&lang=0&id=0,170,510,544

(Also Point 1 and Point 13)

And Also this point in the other website:

Central Assistant Public Information Officer (CAPIO)

The Bank has designated 14478 officers up to the rank of Asstt. General Manager as Central Assistant Public Information Officer (CAPIO) in the Bank. These officers send the application or appeal to the Central Public Information Officer or the concerned Appellate Authority for disposal. An Assistant Public Information Officer is not responsible for supply of the information.

I have given the website and the above point as both the notes are contradictory.

Thanks & Regards,

Talib Hussain

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

1. At the time of filing a RTI application, you are supposed to pay only RTI application fees, and therefore enclose only an IPO of Rs. 10/- and nothing more than that.

The xerox / photocopy charges will be informed by the PIO in his response to your RTI application, you have to then make the payment for the exact amount demanded by the PIO.

2. Keep a zerox / photocopy of the original RTI application, as well as, IPO and for that matter of any / all the enclosures of the RTI application, for your future record.

3. It is your choice, you may either Speed Post the RTI application OR submit it to an APIO, if you submit it to an APIO he will forward it to the PIO.

• Super Moderator
3) I am sending this RTI application to Central Recruitment & Promotion Department of SBI which is in Nariman Point, Mumbai. And I live in Mayur Vihar Phase 3, New Delhi. So what should I do in this case. Should I send it to Nariman Point by Registered Post/Speed Post or hand deliver it to CAPIO in Mayur Vihar Phase 3 SBI Branch, New Delhi. Kindly suggest me the best and appropriate way.

Best is to send it to the main PIO directly at Nariman Point.

Use traditional methods of submitting a RTI:

How to submit a RTI Application - Guide