Private universities

rajkcgmail

Question

rajkcgmail

Dear All,

With some research I have concluded that the UGC is the correct body to supply information regarding private universities in INDIA.

I need information regarding some case(s) which is pending disposal before the Hon'ble Supreme Court against this Private University.

A circular has been published by a university listing the names of all eligible universities that they recognize and allow for admission by transfer from these listed universities as per the circular.

However the name of this Private University from which the transfer is sought.But there is a remark as follows " The matter of XXXX university is pending before the Honorable supreme court of India -Private University', Hence admission is being denied to my ward.

I have asked information from the private university but they have stone walled.

Therefore my questions are:

If I approach the Consumer Court without the information about the case?

OR Get the information and then decide on the course of action.

Any additional feedback to deal with this situation?

Please Help.Sorry if my query is Legal in Nature.

• Answers 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• rajkcgmail

• Prasad GLN

• karira

• RAVEENA_O

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• Super Moderator
karira

Have you checked the website of the Supreme Court and tried to find the details of the case from there ?

rajkcgmail
Have you checked the website of the Supreme Court and tried to find the details of the case from there ?

Yes Sir,

I have even gone to a lot of portals to get this information, including Supreme court website/Google and am still doing it.I have used the UGC act to find this information.I am suspecting something very serious about this university..

It is a university based out of Noida and is a sponser for team RR in IPL!!!

• Super Moderator
karira

The information you need is "status of certain cases pending in the Supreme Court".

UGC is not going to have this information unless UGC is a party to the case.

Best is to try and get the info from the SC through RTI (if you have failed in your attempts to get info from the SC website),

rajkcgmail

Right SIr,

Now UGC not party,Sc website does not have any info then in that case will the UGC be the best authority to ask for this information from about the private the private university? OR

get the information from the University denying the admission.

• Super Moderator
karira

You mentioned in your post you wanted information about a case in the SC related to a private University.

Now you say you want information about the private university !

Please clearly mention what exactly is the information you are looking for ?

rajkcgmail

Sirjee, with due respects the information is being sought about the private university,which has certain pending cases against it.This is the reason cited for denial of admission by Pune University.Now because of this when a student wants to transfer from this private university to any other university, he is denied admission due to this pending case.

In my case from Noida U.P where this university is based and incorporated to Pune university, Maharashtra State..

• Super Moderator
karira

I am still not able to understand what is the exact information you are seeking about that private University.

From what you say, Pune University is not ready to accept a transfer from that private university because there is a case pending against it in the SC. Is that correct ?

Now you want information or other details about that pending case ? Is that correct ?

If yes, you can safely assume the case is about the legality or approval status of that private university.

You can file a RTI with Pune University and get the case number of the case pending in the SC. Then work from there onwards to find out the details of the case.

Read some of the threads in the following search results about people trying to seek information from that particular private university which you are referring to:

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=amity+university+site%3Awww.rtiindia.org&oq=amity+university+site%3Awww.rtiindia.org&aqs=chrome..69i57.6945j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

rajkcgmail

Sirji,

From what you say, Pune University is not ready to accept a transfer from that private university because there is a case pending against it in the SC. Is that correct ?---YES.

Now you want information or other details about that pending case ? Is that correct ?--YES.

If yes, you can safely assume the case is about the legality or approval status of that private university. --O k Sir,

So file an RTI with Pune University,get the Case No etc.Good direction,

That Particular University is AMITY UNIVERSITY UP.GREAT WORK!!!!

Thanks sir...

parsar

The latest news on 44 deemed universities (courtsey google search: as reported in mail online India : 21jan 2014 ) extracted hereunder:-

There is hope for nearly two lakh students enrolled in 44 deemed universities spread across 13 states, which were derecognised by the Centre in January 2010.

The Supreme Court on Tuesday called for a review of the decision by the University Grants Commission (UGC).

The aggrieved universities had moved the court against the human resource development ministry's decision to derecognise 44 universities, which were found deficient on several counts.

• PICTUR

The court order has given hope to over 2 lakh students enrolled in the 44 varsities under the scanner

The ministry's decision was based on the recommendations of a committee headed by eminent scholar and professor N. Tandon.

A bench of Justice K.S. Radhakrishnan and Justice Vikramjit Sen has asked the UGC to "re-assess the standard of education in the 44 deemed universities and file a report to the central government".

"The government is not bound by the report of UGC, but shall give weightage to findings as it is a report of a statutory body," it said.

In its review of 126 deemed universities, the Tandon committee had found only 38 (group A) fit to qualify as deemed universities, while 44 (group B) were found deficient in some parameters that needed to be rectified. Another 44, put in group C, were found totally unfit to be deemed universities.

Those in group B approached the Supreme Court challenging the government's authority in passing such an order, which, according to them, could only be done by the UGC.

Senior counsel K.K. Venugopal, appearing for the universities, argued that the very constitution of the Tandon Committee was illegal and contrary to the scheme and purport of the UGC Act and the Rules.

The Bench said it was referring the matter to UGC as the government did not consult the commission before appointing the Tandon Committee.

"We cannot bypass the UGC. Its views were not sought. So, the matter should be referred to it. We will not discard the Tandon committee report. At the same time we will not give our stamp of approval to you," the bench had said earlier.

-oOo-

The 44 deemed universities were (courtsey : Press Trust of India : Jan.18, 2010)

Read attachment

For More use RTI by filing an application to UGC about the information required by you.

deemed 44 uni.pdf

rajkcgmail

Thank you sir for the efforts,Do appreciate but I am looking at the latest update. Have been searching the net -indiakanoon/khoj/etc....trying to find something on Amity University UP,which is not in the attached list...

rajkcgmail

Thanks Sir,

Can you or any of my friends guide me to file the RTI with the latest updates.(sample/Template)

The downloads section is rather clustered,

Thanks in advance..

rajkcgmail

Dear All,

My RTI application is ready and it is in a cooling period phase as suggested by Mr. c j karira, in his article.

Now my question is --Should I enclose the copies of correspondence with this university, as the name of my ward reflects in them?.

I want to use it in filing a suit in the consumer court/criminal case etc.

Obviously I am asking for information to work for me in the court cases or for filing suit against the university.

Am I compromising here with my chances of success???

Please guide me ..

Thanks

Prasad GLN

1.It is always proper not to conceal/suppress any thing and present all documents connected with the struggle to settle the matter amicably at the earlier stages. The issue of transparency should commence from RTI Applicant himself. (Our learned friends (only Advocates) may not agree with ths)

2.As you wish to file Complaint with Forum, this information may form authenticated information, but please do not file these documentary evidence with your complaint, as District Forum refuse to attend to complaint with a misconceived notion that it is an RTI matter (it may not be always, but mere mention of RTI irritates the Forum), you may file it after admission of complaint with your affidavit or as reply to counter.

3.Your investment in complaint is at the most Rs.300/- and not a penny more, and some precious time. You can take a risk, as it may later show some way to others.

Commence in your own way, take your own considered decisions, come back to forum for further advises in cases of any blocks impending the success.

All the best.

rajkcgmail

Mr Prasad,

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I am also of the opinion that no information should be held back. As of now itself the correspondence can be used to file the case in the consumer forum, as the University failed to intimate to us that Admission to pune or any other university may not be possible. However they cannot deny the fact that a case is pending before the hpn'ble supreme court of India!.

This pending case is the reason that the Pune University has denied admission to my ward in SY BBA,ACD year 2013-2014.

My question is will my chances at RTI be hampered because I am seeking information because my ward has suffered or my locus standi will be that of a Citizen of India first.

Every thing will depend on the information/at all/ I get from UGC.

Since I have intimated to Amity university that if they fail to give me the required information I shall file an RTI application, should I give a copy of the same to them for the purpose of intimation/action taken or any other such document like the xerox of the postal order etc?!!

Waiting for you valuable response and thanks for the same..

Prasad GLN

A mere seeking of information can in no way hamper your issue at any stretch of imagination. Right to seek information is a statutory one.

rajkcgmail

Sir,

Your has given me a lot of encouragement...

I have now decided to go head on instead prolonging..

I will only gain valuable experience if I fail, but will not loose more than I have already lost

Thanks for the blessings..

rajkcgmail

Dear All,

As advised by the learned members I have filed the RTI application related to the matter above.

Now I have Received a copy of the letter that the PIO Pune University has written to Amity University.

In this letter the PIO pune university has enclosed the copy of MY RTI application.Further it is mentioned that "since the information sought is more closely connected with your institute/university,the same is TRANSFERRED to you under the provisions of the RTI 2005 to provide the required information DIRECTLY to the applicant with a copy to this office for its records and reference."

The letter in the FOOT NOTE also directs me to contact PIO Amity University, henceforth.(means don't contact us.)

I then called the PIO (as She had called me to discuss a query in my RTI application) and advised her that she has probably erred in transferring the RTI application to Amity University because the REMARK regarding the eligibility was in the circular published by Pune University based on certain information WITH pune University.Hence the RTI application is submitted to Pune University.

with all self attested supporting documents as Annexes.

I then informed her that I will now need to file an Appeal, based on this letter.

The PIO then confirmed that she has also written to their ELIGIBILITY department and awaiting their reply. Also that she will send a reminder to AMITY.

I think the PIO Pune University has very CLEVERLY done these things.

A. Transferred the RTI application to PIO Amity asking for information.

B. Internally written to their eligibility department asking for information but did not confirm this in the letter to me but only verbally confirmed to me.She also mentioned SHORTAGE of STAFF...

C.Informing me in the foot note to contact PIO Amity HENCEFORTH thus trying to keep the matter OPEN...

The Questions thus arising are as follows:

1. Can this letter informing me of transferring my RTI is indicative that PIO Pune University is GATHERING the required information.Thus buying time till the expiry of the stipulated period.

2.That the PIO has written to its eligibility department (internally) for want of information.VERBAL CONFIRMATION ONLY.

3, Now since the letter is INCOMPLETE as a reply to RTI application, as the RTI application has been transferred, thus an appeal may not be tenable.IS THIS CORRECT?.

4. In that case should I reply to the PIO that I have received the letter and "TRANSFERRING" of the RTI application is in error or contrary to the RTI ACT(PLEASE INDICATE UNDER WHICH CLAUSE IS THIS POSSIBLE).as the PIO pune university is responsible to provide the information as it is DIRECTLY related to their circular an in its purview.

5. SHOULD I WAIT AND HOW LONG???.My RTI application is dated 25-05-2014 R/o 31-05-2014.Reply is dated 04-06-2014 and was received on 06/06/2014

6. Can PIO Amity either return the application to PIO pune University, saying that PIO Pune University should decide the RTI application as it is addressed to them even though Amity is involved.This may be advantageous to Amity.

7. Is PIO Amity under obligation to reply to PIO Pune university to comply.

ANY other information/procedure/Action that may is required at this point of time from me..

Thank in advance..

• Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O
The Questions thus arising are as follows:

1. Can this letter informing me of transferring my RTI is indicative that PIO Pune University is GATHERING the required information.Thus buying time till the expiry of the stipulated period.

2.That the PIO has written to its eligibility department (internally) for want of information.VERBAL CONFIRMATION ONLY.

3, Now since the letter is INCOMPLETE as a reply to RTI application, as the RTI application has been transferred, thus an appeal may not be tenable.IS THIS CORRECT?.

4. In that case should I reply to the PIO that I have received the letter and "TRANSFERRING" of the RTI application is in error or contrary to the RTI ACT(PLEASE INDICATE UNDER WHICH CLAUSE IS THIS POSSIBLE).as the PIO pune university is responsible to provide the information as it is DIRECTLY related to their circular an in its purview.

5. SHOULD I WAIT AND HOW LONG???.My RTI application is dated 25-05-2014 R/o 31-05-2014.Reply is dated 04-06-2014 and was received on 06/06/2014

6. Can PIO Amity either return the application to PIO pune University, saying that PIO Pune University should decide the RTI application as it is addressed to them even though Amity is involved.This may be advantageous to Amity.

7. Is PIO Amity under obligation to reply to PIO Pune university to comply.

PIO is rquired to transfer the application, if so necessary, within 5 days from the date of receipt of application. Therefore it is done within 5 days, whereas PIO has 30 days to decide the infomation pertaining to Pune University.

PIO has time of 30 days to get required information from the concerned department and thereafter take a decision and advise you. Please wait till 30 days before jumping to any conclusion.

No appeal lies within 30 days unless it is a life or liberty clause appilcation. You may prefer appeal if you dont get information within 30 days from PU and AU (30+5 days) both. You may prefer RTI Appeal to FAA PU after 35 days from its receipt at PU and to AU after 5 days from the date of transfer of application by PU.

You have submittd RTI Application. Wait for 30 days for the PIO(s) to respond. If you don't get decision of PIO(s) within permissible time limit, you may prefer FA with the FAA of both the uiversities separately.

I woud also suggest you to go through the RTI Act in Guide section and get acquainted with the provisions therein also.

Right to Information Act 2005 [RTI Wiki]

Centre/State RTI Rules and Fees - Guide

rajkcgmail

Respected Madam,

Thank you for your advise of the mandatory waiting period of 30+5=35 Days.However, do you think that the letter that I have received merits, to be replied to??. If yes I am nearly finalizing the reply, if no I will abandon and save it to my folder.

Need further advise please..

• Super Moderator
karira

1. The PIO needs some serious training in RTI. She cannot transfer your RTI application to PIO of Amity University - because Amity University is not a "public authority" under RTI Act and is not obliged to have a PIO or provide information to anyone under the RTI Act.

2. When dealing with PIOs, do everything in writing. There is no need to call them or visit them. Even veterans like me seldom visit or call PIOs. Go ONLY by what is in writing.

By calling a PIO you are just demonstrating your "urgency and necessity" for the information. The more you do that, the more you will be harrassed and the more tension you will go through.

3. Immediately (no need to wait for any more days) file the first appeal on the following grounds:

the PIO transferring RTI to some private entity deliberately and malafidely

the PIO not providing you information even though the information is held by PU (give clear arguments and proof as to why you are saying this)

Amongst other prayers, also pray that the PIO should be immediately sent for a training course since it is obvious that she is totally unaware of even the basics of the act including the definitions in Sec 2 of the RTI Act.

rajkcgmail

R/sir,

Thanks for the encouraging advise.

I have drafted the reply to the letter from the PIO PU. Do you thing it is good to reply and subsequently file the FA..

Please Advise...

Thanks

rajkcgmail

Dear ALL,

CONFUSED...

Two versions both LOGICAL and with SUPPORT..

Should I write a reply to the letter ???

PLEASE ADVISE...

Thanks