CIC directs Union Bank to upload details of benefeciaries on web-site as mandated under Section 4

harinder dhingra

I had filed six RTI applications seeking information from Union Bank of India, New Delhi Zonal Office. The Union Bank of India did not provide information on time. The Union Bank of India provided some information but main information such as the details of beneficiaries of concessions/subsidy were not disclosed citing the voluminous nature of the documents.

I filed first appeal with G M of Union Bank of India who did not decide the same till date.

Aggrieved, I filed six numbers second appeal praying for information and direction to Bank to streamline its procedure to implement RTI Act 2005.

On 08th Dec 2014, after hearing Bank, the Hon'ble CIC Mr Sharat Sabharwal (IFS) (Retired) decided the following vide his order dated 15th Dec 2014:

QUOTE "10.

In view of the foregoing, action against the CPIO under Section 20 of the RTI Act is

not considered necessary. However, from the records before us, it appears that the FAA

has not been disposing of the appeals filed to him. We would, therefore, direct the FAA to

ensure that the appeals filed to him on RTI matters are disposed of strictly in keeping with

the provisions of the RTI Act and within the time­frame stipulated in the said Act. Further,under Section 25 (5) of the RTI Act, we recommend the following steps to the public

authority:­

(a) Organization of a familiarization ­cum­training programme in RTI matters for its concerned officers. (b) Full compliance with sub­ subsection (XII) and

(XIII) of Section 4 (1) (b) of the RTI Act.

11.With the above observations, as well as the direction and recommendations

contained in paragraph 10 above, the six complaints are disposed of.

12.Copies of this order be given free of cost to the parties. The Registry is directed to

send a copy each of this order, besides the usual recipients, to the CMD and head of the

New Delhi Regional Office of the bank.

Sd/(Sharat Sabharwal) Information Commissioner" UNQUOTE

As stated above the Bank has been instructed to organize the training programme for its officers in RTI Act implementation AND

b) Most importantly, The Bank has been directed to put details of benefeciaries on its web site as mandated under section 4(1)(b)(xii)(xiii) of RTI Act 2005 which almost all the Banks are avoiding/not doing it till date.

Thank You

CIC_SH_C_2014_000081_SH_M_144137.pdf

Good Decision. But , I am surprised why UBI dodged the issue. The entire system is computerised, and it takes less than a minute to provide the list, as the list is from other Public Authorities in a tabular form showing name, address, Activity, outlay, subsidy amount (Scheme wise/Agency wise/segment wise) .

Hon IC SS is too liberal, I have yet to see him fine any CPIO so far, though he knows that CPIO is deliberately evading for providing information. Unfortunately, CPIOS are being benefited by his extreme kindness.

Good Decision. But , I am surprised why UBI dodged the issue. The entire system is computerised, and it takes less than a minute to provide the list, as the list is from other Public Authorities in a tabular form showing name, address, Activity, outlay, subsidy amount (Scheme wise/Agency wise/segment wise) .

Hon IC SS is too liberal, I have yet to see him fine any CPIO so far, though he knows that CPIO is deliberately evading for providing information. Unfortunately, CPIOS are being benefited by his extreme kindness.

Learned Mr. G L N Prasad Sir,

I do not know the reason (if what you are saying is correct and it must be since you know the subject very well) as to why the P S Banks are not doing what is mandated to be uploaded as per section 4(1)(b)(xii) & (xiii) of the RTI act 2005. I am wondering.

harinder dhingra

Infact entire information must be available with single dept., like DRDA, as the agency distributes subsidy to all branches, as per eligibility norms and such list of every scheme, names of individual beneficiaries, subsidy distributed to all branches in the district must be available with such agency as they have account for the same.

Banks may be under the impression that it amounts to revealing secrecy of the account and hence not uploading under Sec.4 (I got my own doubts on IC's such direction) ignoring the fact that it is Public money that is being given as subsidy only to the deserving beneficiaries, and transparency and accountability are the main responsibilities vested with Public Sector Banks (as they are involved in identifying deserving beneficiaries) in all Govt., Schemes.

Some subsidies are even distributed by Industries dept., through DICs for backward districts and identified for promotion of units in that specified area, and DIC must maintain that list and submit to the principal agency showing the utilisation of such amount.

• Super Moderator

Some of the Sec 4(1)(b) disclosures of Banks are laughable (can go into Khushwant Singh joke book) !

Take a look at State Bank of Mysore:

Right To Information Act 2005

I tried to get several banks to implement Sec 4(1)(b) and went all the way to the CIC - where 4 of my related case files were simply lost !

Learned Mr. G L N Prasad Sir,

DRDA does not know a thing about Export Subvention scheme(subsidy) and also about the loans waived of during UPA regime. So, the information is to be uploaded by the concerned Bank itself.

harinder dhingra

As informed earlier in my response, different agencies distribute subsidy and DRDA is one of them, and used for citing example (As I could not find name of agency that is giving subsidy). Some govt., dept., must be involved in ESS, as Bank can only receive such subsidies from outside agency. Even loan waiver must be only through receiving of such amount (claim, disbursement) from receiving credits from outside agency. For any activity, sending utilisation certificate mentioning such subsidy is a must and hence it must be readily available in a statement form.

But then someone has to provide the information learned Mr. G L N Prasad Sir and I would prefer Banks as they are the last point in this chain.

hd