Jump to content
  • 0

Tenancy Rights to Room




Hello, I am in the possession of my grand father's room who expired in 1976. The then existing landlord was demanding money to transfer the same on my grandmother's name and had filed suit for vacant possession of the room. Until then till April-1994, we were paying the rent in the Court under the Standard Rent Act. My grandmother was then over 70 yrs of age and we were looking after her. I have since then transferred all my credentials (Ration Card, Mobile No., Voters' ID Card etc.) to the said address. My mother was the only daughter of her parents. Unfortunately, my mother died before my grandmother and we could not transfer the room on anyone's name as we were having legal issues in our personal life. In the meanwhile, the landlord has sold the development rights under a conveyance deed to a builder. Initially, the builder assured us of transferring the said property in our name. He wasted over 2 years making us run from pillar to post (advocates) who were asking us to pay stamp duty for the same. I have been requesting the new landlord to accept the rent, but he has only made me dance. He asked to pay huge sum and wanted me to surrender my tenancy rights, which I refused now he has been threatening us that at the time of re-development he will file a suit against me for possession of the tenancy. I have been sending the Rent to him from time to time by cheque, but he refuses to accept the same. I am now in a dilemma as to what is the best course of action. Can anyone help me out - FSD

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Super Moderator

This portal is dedicated to discussing issues related to the RTI Act 2005.

For your issue, better to contact a lawyer well versed with re development issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
  • Moderators
Sunil Ahya

The best way forward would be to keep in touch with a lawyer who is well versed in re-development matters.


In the meanwhile, to keep a track of the events and developments, you can file RTI applications with concerned Public (Govt.) Authorities with which the Landlord or Builder / Developer enters into dealings with:


For example you can file a RTI application with the Public Information Officer (PIO) of the concerned sub-Registrar's office where the Landlord and Builder have registered the Conveyance Deed and seek a photocopy of the same.


Similarly, you can file RTI applications with the concerned Ward of the Municipality and seek a photocopy of all the documents and plans submitted by the Builder / Developer for re-development.


If you are from Mumbai, and if SRA is applicable, then you can file a RTI application with the PIO of SRA and obtain a photocopy of all the documents and plans.


This way you will be able to keep a track of the development project and can take an informed decision on the subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love RTI INDIA- Online RTI? Tell a friend!
  • Members

    • Prasad GLN
  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy