Can anybody ask my bank balance through RTI

susant Kumar Sahu

Question

12 answers to this question

MANOJ B. PATEL

Welcome to RTI INDIA PORTAL. Thank you for choosing RTI INDIA PORTAL.

Please click the following link and read through the topics:

RTI Information

Please do not post in to multiple forums or start multiple threads. You need to study links on home page of this website and then start drafting RTI for common problem of specific issues etc. You can post draft RTI application on this portal so that our members can refine it. Thus you will be having working knowledge of RTI over a period of time. Please also visit this website often and peruse queries and replies by our members, which will make you comfortable with RTI.

Dear Member, in addition,

To explore about RTI kindly refer following links

(A) Download RTI Forms

(B) How to Become RTI Activist

© How to file RTI Online

(D) Centre / State RTI Rules and Fees

(E) Case laws of RTI

Regard & Best Wishes.

Manoj B.Patel

• Moderators

No one can seek these details under RTI - not even your wife, if she is not joint account holder. However, in case of larger public interest it can be revealed by bank. In normal circumstances banks are bound to keep account details secret.

susant Kumar Sahu

I have 1 lack rupees in Andhra bank . One of a villager has asked my bank details balance to this bank through RTI and the bank has made Xerox copy of my balance to send the copy to the villager. I complained but the bank manager said it is the rule of RTI. What will I do

No. ANYBODY CAN'T GET .

Account details of a person is THIRD PARTY INFO.

its against banking rules also .

You can find many CIC decisions on account details of third party in portal & CIC search also.

BUT WIFE CAN GET I THINK SO.

Which link to click in CIC Please send me the link copy

Click in below link .its old.

Search for new & more in portal search or Google search or CIC portal search BY TYPING WORDS - BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS OF OTHER/THIRD PERSON /SPOUSE ETC(change words & click search button).

Info on customers bank account details exempted under RTI - Livemint

• Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O

Section-8(1)(e) of the RTI Act, 2005 provides as under:

(e) information available to a person in his fiduciary relationship, unless the competent authority is satisfied that the larger public interest warrants the disclosure of such information;

The bank account details maintained by the Bank are in fiduciary relationship with its client. Therefore, the information about your Bank balance of transaction details are exempted under section-8(1)(e) of the Act.

Even when it was necessary to disclose bank account details / transaction details in larger public interest, the PIO was required to serve a notice to you under Section-11 and was required to consider your say before disclosing such information to any third party.

Having not served the notice under section-11 and having disclosed the information without your knowledge, the PIO (and bank) made a breach of trust. You may immediately close your account from this bank and deposit your money in any other scheduled bank. You may also make a written complaint to the higher ups - say the Regional Manager of the Bank citing your case with a request to take suitable action against the manager.

Prasad GLN

Even before enactment of RTI --Maintaining secrecy of customer's account is primary obligation for any Bank. So any one can seek, but it will never be provided to citizens and there are exemptions for providing that information like Police, law enforcement authorities like Income tax, fellow Banker, Any authority that is having powers to seek such information from Banks, Courts etc.,.

G.R.Vidyaranya

File a written complaint about the incident with the Regional Manager of the Bank so that the Bank can take action against the Branch Manager, for violation of the trust imposed by a customer in the Bank. This will also serve as warning to all other Branches of the Bank in the region.