Sajib Nandi

Tamil Nadu: ‘RTI petitions not replied to’

Sajib Nandi

Residents’ welfare activists have alleged government departments fail to acknowledge their Right to Information (RTI) applications.

According to RTI activist V. Santhanam, to get an acknowledgement, people are forced to send the petition by registered post or speed post, which means they have to shell out an additional Rs. 30, at the least.

Read more at: ?RTI petitions not replied to? - The Hindu

MANOJ B. PATEL

"The Hindu" Chennai, published the news as below.

Residents’ welfare activists have alleged government departments fail to acknowledge their Right to Information (RTI) applications.

According to RTI activist V. Santhanam, to get an acknowledgement, people are forced to send the petition by registered post or speed post, which means they have to shell out an additional Rs. 30, at the least.

In 2006, the State government had issued an order instructing government departments to acknowledge RTI pleas immediately, and at the most, within three days of the receipt of petitions.

The order also stipulated that the grievance itself should be redressed within a period of two months, or the applicant intimated if it takes longer.

Mr. Santhanam said though the government order is clear, none of the government departments follow it in addressing public grievance petitions.

S. Ramesh, another activist, said the petitions submitted at ‘Jamabandhi’ (a meeting organised by revenue officials of a particular district) are directed to the department concerned, but no reply is issued.

Sources with the municipal administration department said the grievances are fed into a computer and redressal mechanism is in order. As mentioned in the government order, longer tenure of work undertaken was communicated to petitioners through text messages, the official said.

• Similar Content

• Ram Kumara Naga Raja
      By Ram Kumara Naga Raja
      BBMP (Municipal council of Bangalore) does not take either postal or Online R.T.I queries.
      Since there is no accountability, the roads are in disarray and no action has been taken. Now with this covid19 pandemic, these fellows are just sitting and eating peanuts.

Several compliant either to the BBMP app, P.M.O office or the local M.L.A/MP have fallen on deaf ears.
      Has anyone succeeded in resolving roads via the R.T.I route or some other route? 
    • Shree Vathsan
      By Shree Vathsan
      I had sought details of loan and copies of agreement entered with World Bank, JICA etc. of IT Expressway Chennai (created in partnership with Govt of TN) However the PIO has replied that they have moved out of world bank loan and taken loan from other banks details of which cannot be disclosed under 8(1) d of RTI Act citing "commercial confidence".
      However the IT Expressway is a public limited company having entered into agreement with Govt of TN and others for developing and maintaining a particular stretch of road.

Kindly help me frame a good first appeal.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy