CIC‘s Central Registry must maintain records of all Appeals/Complaints Received

• Super Moderator
karira

20 March 2015To,Secretary (P), Secretary (ARPG), Secretary (CIC), Sub: CIC‘s Central Registry do not maintain records of RTI Cases received. Respected Secretaries,1. In a shocking revelation, the CPIO, CIC admitted that Central Registry of CIC does not maintain records of all Cases (Appeals/Complaints) received in the Commission, thus violating the basic principles of record management.2. CPIO also admitted that in year 2014 (12 Months), CIC returned a huge number of cases i.e. 16,882 Cases and Registered only 32,134.3. In the absence of complete records of total receipts (cases) in CIC, there is always a room for doubts.On Legal Consultants for CIC Registry 4. For Secretary (P) : Sir, as you are aware that in justifying the services of Legal Consultants (LCs) in the Central Information Commission (CIC); the Officials of CIC had projected the requirement of Legal Consultant for its Central Registry for scrutiny of cases from legal point of view before appeals/complaints are registered.5. This raised many questions. Are the Legal Consultants qualified to reject RTI cases (appeals/complaints) even before these cases are registered? It was clear that large numbers of cases received in the CIC registry are not even being registered.6. This is what led me to get to the facts and the result is in front of us.7. My Communication is in public domain. My RTI and CPIO, CIC response are attached. 8. Submitted Best regards,{Commodore Lokesh K. Batra (Retd.)} IN-1967

• Super Moderator
karira

@Shrawan Pathak Once again formatting gone haywire !Please look into this issue urgently....otherwise all efforts go waste and a poster like me feels embarrassed to see such a shoddy post against my name.

• Super Moderator
karira

Here is my email to the Secretary CIC. with additional comments:

Respected Madam,

Reference the trailing email of Commodore (Retd.) Lokesh Batra.

Please allow me to reproduce Sec 4(1)(a) of the RTI Act:

Section 4: Obligations of Public Authorities

4. (1) Every public authority shall— a) maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed in a manner and the form which facilitates the right to information under this Act and ensure that all records that are appropriate to be computerised are, within a reasonable time and subject to availability of resources, computerised and connected through a network all over the country on different systems so that access to such records is facilitated; b) publish within one hundred and twenty days from the enactment of this Act,—

============

1. Any paper/document/email/sms is a "record"

2. Any "record" coming into the CIC is part of the CIC records (and obviously public record)

3. Under Sec 4(1)(a), it is the CICs (in this case the public authority) bounden duty to

index and catalog "all its records". Please NOTE, the word used is "shall" - which implies obligatory/mandatory.

Therefore each and every record coming into the CIC has to be indexed and catalogued. Not doing so is a violation of the RTI Act.

Commodore (Retd.) Batra is therefore simply requesting the CIC to follow the RTI Act - in both letter and spirit.

Besides the above, please read the relevant sections of the "Manual of Office Procedure" and the "Manual of e-Office Procedure". Both have extensive sections detailing how any piece of paper coming into a Government office has to be recorded, indexed and circulated.

In case your officers and staff need any training in maintenance / indexing / cataloguing of records (in relation to RTI Act & MoOP), I shall be more than willing to train them. I have conducted more than 30 sessions on this single subject. The session lasts for one full day and is completely interactive.

As you are well aware by now, all the RTI work I do is "pro bono" and there are no charges for my training session. I will bring all material myself, bear my own travel and staying expenses. The only material which CIC needs to provide me is a Video Projector / Screen and a room.

Please let me know in case the CIC is interested.

Thanking You,

C J Karira