Dhwanish Joshi

Ration Department suspended my ration card without my knowledge

Question

Dhwanish Joshi

Hello sir,

I am the head of the family, and the ration card is in my possession.

There a 5 members in our house - Myself, my wife, my son, my married sister and her husband.

I and my married sister have equal share (50-50) in this house.

Basically, we are 2 separate families residing in the same house. Our Living room/kitchen are separate.

There are 4 names in our ration card - My family of 3, and my married sister.

The sister wants to add her husband's name in my ration card, which I denied because I don't want to add her husband's name in my ration card.

Now the sister may have communicated this with the Ration Dept., and on 20th May, 2015, I got a letter from the Ration Dept. stating that my ration card has been suspended because I am not willing to add her husband's name in my ration card. The officials are forcing me to add her husband's name or else they will cancel my ration card.

I want to know:

1. On which grounds, the Ration Dept. can suspend/cancel my ration card?

2. Can there be 2 ration cards at the same address?

Please do look into the matter and guide me. What should I do now?

19 answers to this question

rtiindia

Hi Dhwanish Joshi and welcome to RTI INDIA- Right to Information! This is an introductory reply and members of our forum shall reply to your specific query shortly.

You have just made a post at our community which is dedicated to helping you in matters of Right to Information. If you are new to RTI, you should read this article here What is Right to Information? - Guide. And if you are interested in reading the whole RTI Act please go to the following link: Right to Information Act 2005 [RTI Wiki]

PLEASE NOTE: We may not be able to answer your query conclusively, if it is not related to RTI, like finding a mobile number, vehicle registration number etc. These are not related to RTI.

Dhwanish Joshi here are some more links for you to explore about #RTI:

1. Download RTI Forms: http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/docs/cat/11-sample-rti-forms/

2. Read here about How to Become RTI Activist

3. Read here RTI Online- Step by Step Guide to File RTI Online

4. Here you shall find various Centre / State RTI Rules and Fees: http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/centrestate-rti-rules-and-fees-3/

5. Read here about various case laws of RTI: http://www.rtiindia.org/law/

Thank You!

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member,

This portal is dedicated to discussing issues related to RTI Act 2005.

For doubts/queries, such as yours, best is to consult a knowledgeable advocate.

D.T.RATHAVA

Dear member welcome to portal

you can seek information under RTI related your query

file to RTI concerned office and obtain rules and regulation's certify copy of suspend/cancel ration card

i heard first time ration card is canceled if card holder refuse to verbally add name in ration card,

ration card is right of person any authority can not cancel it without heard him

you can write to district collector with suspended order and get to justice

Dhwanish Joshi

What specific department should I choose while filing RTI? In my case, would it be "DEPARTMENT OF FOOD & PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION"?

koteswararaonerella

you could have the ration officials , the reasons for suspending the card if they dont provide you can file RTI application asking for the reasons and orders on which the ration card was suspended to the concerned PIO and he is bound to give a reply as per rules. the ration card officials cannot ask you to add any name.

Dhwanish Joshi

The reason stated in the suspension letter is: "The holder of the ration card has refused to add name of the sister's husband, hence the ration card has been suspended."

RAVEENA_O
Hello sir,

I want to know:

1. On which grounds, the Ration Dept. can suspend/cancel my ration card?

2. Can there be 2 ration cards at the same address?

Please do look into the matter and guide me. What should I do now?

The reasons for suspension of ration card has been intimated to you in the letter sent to you. Who signed this letter?

Please file RTI Application before the Public Information Officer of the officer who sent you the suspension letter and seek :-

Please supply me following information under the Life or Liberty proviso below Secton-7(1) of RTI Act.

[1] certified copy of the note sheet indicating notings by various officials and decision of competent authority based on which my ration card is suspended as communicated vide letter No. ........... ...... dated ............

[2] Certified copy of the rules, regulations, notifications, circulars, Govt Resolution, policy based on which my ration card is suspended as communicated vide letter No. ........... ...... dated ............

[3] Certified copy of the show cause notice issued to me by the competent authority, seeking to show cause, before suspending my ration card.

[4] Certified copy of complaint submitted against me by anybody, based on which my ration card is suspended as communicated vide letter No. ........... ...... dated ............

[5] Certified copy of the Investigation Report / Inquiry Report submitted by the official concerned, based on which my ration card is suspended as communicated vide letter No. ........... ...... dated ............

In the mean time submit an appeal against the said decision before the next higher authority of the Food and Civil Supplies Department stating that you and your sister Mrs ........ are two different households in same building having separate kitchen, cooking and living and therefore there is no reason to suspend your ration card. If at all Mrs ...... wants to avail ration card, she should apply for independent and separate ration card. Therefore the action of the department to suspend my ration card may kindly be reviewed and withdrawn without any further delay.

If you do not get positive result within a month's time, please revert back to us for further guidance in drafting further RTI.

Yes, there can be separate ration cards for your family and your sister's family. Since she started living separately after her marriage, she should apply for new ration card after deleting her name from your ration card.

Dhwanish Joshi

She is NOT living separately. We both families live in the same house, I and my sister have equal share in this house. Can there be 2 ration cards assigned to the same house and same address?

RAVEENA_O
She is NOT living separately. We both families live in the same house, I and my sister have equal share in this house. Can there be 2 ration cards assigned to the same house and same address?

This is your own version and statement.

Hello sir,

Basically, we are 2 separate families residing in the same house. Our Living room/kitchen are separate.

There are 4 names in our ration card - My family of 3, and my married sister.

Is it not two separate households? Who told that your sister is not living in same house? Who told that your sister do not have 50:50 share in the property?

Please read my earlier post No.8 carefully. You have been given possible RTI solutions and suggested further course of action. Now it is upto you to decide.

Dhwanish Joshi

Okay ma'am, now I got your point. Thanks for your suggestions. But I still have just have one more question: Can the ration dept. issue two separate ration cards for the same address?

D.T.RATHAVA

it is not possible

RAVEENA_O

I am sure that yours is not a matriarchy. Since your sister is married and separated, she has a right to get her name included in her spouse's ration card.

The very fact that she is living with her husband in her own share of property in same premises of her maternal house does not bar her from any of the rights and privileges available to her as a citizen.

Let her approach the civil supply authorities and seek a fresh ration card, by deleting her name from your ration card.

Dhwanish Joshi

First, let me make myself very clear about our house structure. We have a "2 ROOM KITCHEN FLAT". 1st room is occupied by sister, while the 2nd room is occupied by me. We divided the kitchen equally. I have attached the copy of suspension letter. I am not able to find "LETTER NO." in this.IMG_20150520_170715259.jpg

RAVEENA_O

Letter number is at right top - hand written.

The reason shows that your sister had made a complaint, which was investigated by the PD Inspector and according to his report, you have not permitted to add the names of your sister and her husband as also not submitted the ration card in office for deleting her name from it.

Action of the PD authorities in suspending your Ration Card, without issuing show cause notice or without obtaining your say is not legally correct. You may submit RTI Application as suggested.

Thereafter, produce your ration card for deleting name of your sister from your card. You can apply for deletion of name of married sister (attach marriage invitation card or any other proof).

Dhwanish Joshi

I am not allowed to write the letter no. in Marathi while filing RTI Application online. Can you please help me in translating the letter no. in English? so that I successfully file RTI Application online.

D.T.RATHAVA

Dear member

type on google "ONLINE MARATHI KEY BOARD" many online key board option opened choose any one as per your choise .(BRANAH.com IS A BEST AS MY CHOISE) type it and copy pest other place.

Dhwanish Joshi

I have already made a word document which contains English and Marathi both, I did the same thing as you mentioned and tried copy-paste, but with no success!

This is the error: "Only alphabets A-Z a-z number 0-9 and special characters , . - _ ( ) / @ : & \ % are allowed in Text for RTI Request application."

D.T.RATHAVA

no problem sir

only maintain date of order and maintain order no only digital

Dhwanish Joshi

See what I have done, I converted my word document to pdf file, and will attach the same.

I live in Mumbai, is the below link legitimate for Maharashtra Online RTI?

https://rtionline.maharashtra.gov.in/index-e.php