Haryana Prisons becomes first in following mandated due courtesies to public in thier communication

harinder dhingra

Dear Members of this August Forum,

I have had the privilege to communicate with various public authorities during my 4 and half years of learning in RTI & Human Rights matters and was shocked to NOTE that public was addressed in communication as slaves or at best subjects whereas the Chapter XV of "Manual of Office Procedure" mandates that every communication to each & every member of PUBLIC to be started with salutation/address as "Sir/Madam and end with subscription "yours faithfully". I wrote letter to PM, CM & CS, DGP, CP Gurgaon 7 of course Haryana Prisons and it is only Haryana Prisons has come out with clear directions to address the public in communication as "sir/Madam and end with Yours faithfully".

Salute to brave DGP Prisons although I may have differences with this department but good acts must be acknowledged.

I reproduce the letter I wrote today and enclose the communication and letter received under RTI from Haryana Prisons.

Very HAPPY.

Harinder dhingra

QUOTE, "

To Dated 29th May 2015

The Director General of Prisons,

Government of Haryana, Panchkula

Sub: Due courtesy to be extended to Public in communication by Government Officers/officials: Haryana Prisons becomes the first public authority to follow the law as mentioned in Chapter XV of Manual of Office Procedure

Sir,

The undersigned takes pride in saluting you and your organization for taking lead in extending due courtesies to PUBLIC as mandated in Section 50 of Chapter VIII of Forms and Procedure of Communication of Manual of Office Procedure Thirteenth Edition vides your office letter number 12896/914 DG Jails/2015/A-4 dated 05th May 2015.

Sir, You and your team deserve the applause and it is a matter of great honor that your organization becomes the first one in Government of Haryana to rise to occasion and follow the guidelines of the government in extending the due courtesies to PUBLIC at large.

I reproduce the text in Chapter XV of "Manual of Office Procedure",

QUOTE “

50. Forms of written communication and methods of delivery— The different forms of written communication and methods of delivery generally used by a department are described below. Each form has a use and, in some cases, a phraseology of its own. Only black or blue ink will be used in communications. A small margin of about one inch will be left on all sides (left, right, top and bottom) of each page of communication to ensure better preservation of records as at times the paper gets torn from the edges, making reading of the documents difficult. Specimens of these forms are given in Appendix 9.

(1) Letter—This form is used for corresponding with Foreign Governments, State Governments, the Union Public Service Commission and other constitutional bodies, heads of attached and subordinate offices, public enterprises, statutory authorities, public bodies and members of the public generally. A letter begins with the salutation "Sir/Madam" as may be appropriate and ends with the subscription "Yours faithfully".(Emphasis provided by undersigned).

I also confirm that letters issued by your organization to PUBLIC begins with “Sir/Madam” and ends with the subscription “Yours faithfully”.

Excellent Job done Sir.

Thank You,

Yours truly,

Harinder Dhingra

RTI & Human Rights Activist,

D-4A/7 DLF Phase 01, Gurgaon-122002

C C to Hon’ble Mr. Narender Modi, Prime Minister of India with a prayer that extending due courtesies to PUBLIC is mandated under law but never followed in normal practices in government offices. But Sir, your government is different and so are times. Kindly take the lead and give respect to Janata Janardan.

2) Hon’ble Sh. Manohar Lal Khattar, Chief Minister of Haryana: Sir, I had written a letter seeking the implementation of Section 50 of Chapter VIII of Forms and Procedure of Communication of Manual of Office Procedure Thirteenth Edition in which the PUBLIC/CITIZEN is addressed in a communication as Sir/Madam and letter/communication ends with subscription “Yours faithfully”. Sir, with your government, let us start giving mandated respect to PUBLIC in government communications.

3) The Learned Chief Secretary of Haryana: Kindly refer to undersigned letter dated 12th February 2015 on the above mentioned subject sent vide Speed Post number ARH 054552832IN dated 13th February 2015 which is awaiting acknowledgement.

4)The Learned Director General of Police, Haryana: Kindly refer to undersigned letter dated 12th February 2015 on the above mentioned subject sent vide Speed Post number ARH 054552815IN dated 13th February 2015 which is awaiting acknowledgement.

5) The Learned Commissioner of Police, Gurgaon: Kindly refer to undersigned letter dated 12th February 2015 on the above mentioned subject sent vide Speed Post number EH620966788IN dated 13th February 2015 which is awaiting acknowledgement.

DG Prison becomes first authority to follow chapter xv of manual of office procedure.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Shriman/Shrimati likh kar Patr vyavhar karega Haryana ka Jail Department public ke saath.

Kindly enclosed herewith find the news item appearing in Hindustan Hindi dated 8th June 2015 about the due courtesies to be accorded to public (Janta Janardan) in official correspondence with public.

It is welcome step.

hd

attachment.php?attachmentid=12975&stc=1

newspaper0001.jpg

• Moderators

In a democracy citizens are the ultimate authority and must be treated with respect and dignity by public servants. Unfortunately from 1947, we citizens have made public servants our public masters and rulers. We have to first exert out authority in a democracy. This is good beginning at least.

Thanks Learned Mr J P Shah Sir,

First things first. I thought that ultimate authority should be addressed as such and beginning has to be made in official correspondences.

Regards

hd

In Gujarat state most of the head offices of concerned department address people as "Shirman" and "Shrimati" but in spite of clear instructions from govt. lower offices yet not started to address as above.

In Pondicherry it is; For men – “Thiru” for women – if married “Thirumathi”; if unmarried

“Selvi”,.

Great.

Learned Mr. Manoj B Patel Sir,

Need to know as to how they conclude the communication? Do they conclude it by "yours faithfully"?

Thanks

hd

YOU ARE SUPER Mr.HARINDRA DHINGRAJI, TALK less and do more and that too on a variety of problems being faced by common man.I appreiate you

THIS NEED TO BE EMULTED BY OTHR STATE P.Ss where thre is no courtesy to wards complainant or those who visit police stations for some work

Yes Learned Mr Koteswararaonerrella Sir,

I think all the public institutions should and must follow the law of the land namely Section 50(1)(3) of Manual of Office Procedure.

hd

Learned Mr. Koteswararaonerrella Sir,

Sir, these courtesies have to be shown to Janta Janardan as per law of the land and is must as per Section 50(1)(3) of "Procedure of Office Manual" in Chapter XV.

Sir, this is law and is meant to be obeyed. The civil servants/bureaucracy can not dictate the orders to public in the manner befitting to subjects but has to treat the public as Masters/Owners/Stakeholders.

hd