Can anybody sign on reply instead of designated PIO?

mandar111

Question

mandar111

Hello,

I filed for inspection of files. I had given specific instructions to call me whenever reply is ready & asked him to keep all documents ready at the time of receiving reply. I said I will come personally. Hence I visited office at least 5 times in 30 days. Finally I went to office with written request to allow me inspection of all documents within 30 days. I went to office on 28th day. Now PIO was on leave for 13 days keeping my application pending. His clerk made reply probably. When I went to office & I asked who is the next authoritative person, nobody came before to meet me. The person who is working under him pointed out to meet clerk. I went to clerk & asked about status. He told me he has made reply. He had misled every queries in that application & forced me to pay only. I told him that I had asked for inspection. he refused me for it. He refused to accept my letter cum request. Finally I had given this letter to official dispatch section. Since PIO was supposed to resume duty after my 30 days limit, It was impossible of compliance of my request. I left office by 4.10 in the evening. The clerk then dispatched reply at 4.45 pm theu registered post by taking sign from same guy who refused me for compliance.

In that case what is the status of that reply? He has signed on reply (for PIO).

Can reply become legitimate if signed by person other than designated PIO?

I faced thus situation twice in last 35 days. In both cases, the designation of signing persons are lower than that of PIO. In same case. signature authority had mentioned his post only without mentioning Public Info officer with his designated post . So can both reply supposed to be legitimate?

Can I say that PIO has not sent reply? violation of section 7(1)

Any way in both cases I was cheated by PIO deliberately as they will be exposed & may face suspension for their corrupt crimes.

4 answers to this question

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

Have you received the requested information (irrespective of whether the PIO has signed the reply or some other person)?

If you have not received the requested information, kindly file a first appeal under section 19(1) with the concerned First Appellate Authority within 30 days of the receipt of reply from the PIO (or the purported PIO).

In this first appeal, apart from other grounds of appeal for not having received the information, additionally point out your concerns about the PIO not having signed and replied to your RTI application but instead some other person having done so on his behalf.

Prasad GLN

Remember Hon Karira's Advice "never visit PA" unless you are invited. File first appeal and seek information free of cost.

Even for inspection, the first hour is free and one has to pay fixed charges per hour on rest of the time taken for inspection.

PIO has to provide information in the form in which it was sought, Some Public authorities mention the order of PIO and just sign under as communication without signature of the PIO. (Just like Information Commissioners do not sign, and only Dy.Registrar signs in the decisions). At the end, whether information was provided in proper form in which it was sought is the point.

MANOJ B. PATEL

Dear member,

Kindly just now forget everything and file First Appeal and as suggested in post No.2 point out your concerns about the PIO not having signed and replied to your RTI application but instead some other person having done so on his behalf.

• Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O
In that case what is the status of that reply? He has signed on reply (for PIO).

Can reply become legitimate if signed by person other than designated PIO? I faced thus situation twice in last 35 days. In both cases, the designation of signing persons are lower than that of PIO. In same case. signature authority had mentioned his post only without mentioning Public Info officer with his designated post . So can both reply supposed to be legitimate? Can I say that PIO has not sent reply? violation of section 7(1)

RTI Application is required to be decided by the PIO himself and not by any other officer including the APIO. File first appeal as suggested. CIC decision is attached.

APIO cannot reply to RTI or sign it.pdf