UP: Streetlights missing, officials in dark

akhilesh yadav

akhilesh yadav

Meerut: After his wife met with an accident near Begum Bagh in 2014, professor S K Ghai filed a Right to Information query asking the Nagar Nigam why street lights in some of the city's oldest areas have still not been fixed. Though Ghai filed the application in June 2014 and the RTI Act stipulates that replies must come within 45 days, he received his reply on June 23 - almost a year later.

While the Nagar Nigam said all dark spots mentioned in the query have been fixed since then, Ghai claims only one of them has been repaired.

"Last year, my wife was riding her scooter at night along the dark Chakbandi Road. A passerby inadvertently spat betel juice at her. In trying to avoid being spattered, she swerved to the side and fell into a drain. After the accident, I filed an RTI query asking the Nagar Nigam why street lights in the area were not working. Even though I should have received a reply within 45 days, I received one after a full year," Ghai, a professor of commerce at NAS Degree College told TOI.

Read more at: Streetlights missing, officials in dark - The Times of India

• Tell a friend

Love RTI INDIA- Online RTI? Tell a friend!
  • Members

No members to show

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts