Filled second RTI Appeal, got no response till now.

smitraj07

Question

Hello All,

I had filled a 2nd RTI appeal online through Central Information Commission, it had been more than a month and no CPIO has been assigned to my case (as checked in status).

Even, for the RTI first appeal also no CPIO had been assigned. And didn't get any response from the concerned dept.

Please, guide me what action I can take next, it has been already about 5 months since I filed the RTI request and not getting any response.

Looking for your suggestions.

Thanks,

Smit.

8 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

It appears from the post that you are not having basic idea of RTI.

The designated official in Central Govt that is entrusted with Obligation of providing information is called Central Public Information Officer. CPIO. The application with fees has to be submitted to him .

If CPIO fails to provide the information within 30 days from receipt of such application, first appeal has to be filed before a superior officer to CPIO who is designated as First Appellate Authority (FAA)under RTI. If FAA fails to respond even after 45 days of receiving such appeal, second appeal has to be made to Central Information Commission, New Delhi.

If both CPIO & FAA of a public Authority fails to respond the second and final appeal has to be made to Central Information Commission.

If you have taken all the three steps, you have to confirm the registration of your second appeal by searching in CIC website for status of your second appeal.

CIC will send hearing notice to you and also sends SMS fixing the date of hearing.

This process may take 18 to 24 months.

It is not clear from your query as to what is your present issue as nothing can be done after filing second appeal except waiting for your turn to report the same during personal hearing at Information commission.

• Moderators
Sunil Ahya

1. Please note that no CPIO is to be allocated by the Central Information Commission, and the procedure followed by you is incorrect.

2. Online RTI application filing system is not up to the mark, and therefore we at the forum always recommend filing RTI applications through traditional Speed Post / Registered Post method for the same.

3. The PIO and First Appellate Authority would depend upon the Public Authority from which you intend to seek information, and that in turn would depend upon the subject on which you intend to seek information, for example, Police, Municipality, Railways, Passport, Income Tax etc.

So can you please inform the forum, as to on which subject do you intend to seek information?

4. By the way, please click on the following links to learn more about the basics of RTI:

Home Page RTI India

RTI Act offers three levels to obtain a required information.

Flow of a RTI application once having been filed.

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe you are correct, I don't have much understanding of RTI.

I assumed to seek a simple information from a govt. organization (protocols for transfer based on spouse ground), I need not be thorough in the technicality of RTI.

I am explaining the procedure I followed, It would be great help if you can point out the mistake and guide me through:-

1. Made an RTI request in May, with the concerned ministry (online through rtionline.gov.in).

2. After a period of 45 days (no response), I made the first appeal online using my registration number (online).

3. After a period of 45 days (approx.) made a second appeal through CIC. (online)

Can you please point out where I did wrong So that I can be careful to file the RTI in future.

Thanks,

Smit.

Prasad GLN

Apparently you have followed the correct procedure but not informed the Appeal status your appeal is showing in CIC website.

However as it may not cost more than Rs.32, try traditional way this time, by filing same application through hard copy by Registered post, as second appeal may take minimum of 18 months for getting hearing date.

(May be the CPIO term used by you in first appeal and CIC made us misunderstand the query, as only in application levels the term CPIO is used and in first appeal First Appellate Authority and in case of second appeal, Information commission or IC name are being used in common parlance)

Thank you, Sir.

I will keep your suggestion in mind going forward.

Here is the current status on CIC website of 2nd appeal.

[h=1]Search Results[/h][TABLE=class: general, width: 1203]

Results for Appeal Number:[TR]

[TH]Particulars[/TH]

[TH]Description[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2]Appeal Details / Status[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]File Number:[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Appeal Number:[/TD]

[TD]SA/UG/16/19304dd83[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Date submitted (Online):[/TD]

[TD]22-08-2016[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Status:[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Action-Date:[/TD]

[TD]22-08-2016[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2]PA / CPIO Details[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Public Authority:[/TD]

[TD]Ministry of Railways[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]CPIO Name:[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Address:[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Telephone:[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]E-mail:[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=colspan: 2]Appellant's Particulars[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Name:[/TD]

[TD]Mr. Smit Raj[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Address:[/TD]

[TD]======================================[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]City:[/TD]

[TD]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Citizen:[/TD]

[TD]Indian[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Country:[/TD]

[TD]India[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Email:[/TD]

[TD]=================[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Apparently you have followed the correct procedure but not informed the Appeal status your appeal is showing in CIC website.

However as it may not cost more than Rs.32, try traditional way this time, by filing same application through hard copy by Registered post, as second appeal may take minimum of 18 months for getting hearing date.

(May be the CPIO term used by you in first appeal and CIC made us misunderstand the query, as only in application levels the term CPIO is used and in first appeal First Appellate Authority and in case of second appeal, Information commission or IC name are being used in common parlance)

• Super Moderator
RAVEENA_O

Railway employees are governed under the IREC, IREM and other rules or regulations or notifications or cirulars issued by Ministry of Railways only. Therefore you may refer to >>

>> http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/railwayboard/uploads/directorate/establishment/ENG-I/RBE_23_10.pdf