Guest Prabeer Panda

Can I share RTI response in Social Media?

Question

Guest Prabeer Panda

I have received information from the PIO and being the information which was disclosed under Large Public Interest, Can I share RTI response in Social Media? Do I need to take permission from the PIO / FAA or the CIC?

6 answers to this question

momita

The information is obtained from the Government Departments, and most of the information, even otherwise should be part of the public domain as per the RTI Act. Therefore, sharing such information should not be anyway prohibited from social media.

Secondly, in case of third party information, you have got the information considering it is in large public interest to disclose such information. And therefore, again there should not be any hinderance in sharing the information in the social media.

You do not require any permission to share any information also.

jatin Sharma

The more you circulate, the more society will benefit from it. Start[emoji16]

Sent from my Micromax E484 using RTI INDIA mobile app

Prasad GLN

Generally, the trend is other way round.

Most of the activists never require that information for bringing to a logical conclusion,

and prefer to publish it as an achievement of theirs with RTI,

mostly targeting selected officials.

Once you taste such publicity success, you become a slave to such publicity.

Now compare with our forum Chief Architect Hon CJK, he always goes to Media to get a logical conclusion in larger public interest, to mobilise and involve Administration. He being basically a Technocrat businessman, confined to low profile and not an advocate, is not getting due attention, as he can not file PILs on his own and to spend huge personal amounts and face criticism from Hon Judges and I know once even Hon Judge asked for IT Returns of him. Still those who are sincere in RTO, considers him as a force to reckon, and he quotes his achievements only as examples during training PIOs in workshops free of cost.

jatin Sharma

Just publish your rti application and their reply as it is. No comments, let the public think themselves. I strongly recommend to go public via social media from my last experience (I didn't) . Even if you don't like publicity it will benefit others.

Sent from my Micromax E484 using RTI INDIA mobile app

Sunil Ahya

In fact, as per DoPT circular every Central Govt. public authority is supposed to suo-motu upload all RTI applications, PIO's responses to the same, Appeals and Response to the Appeals, on their website, after removing personal information.

In this regard, please refer to the Central Govt's DoPT Office Memorandum, the relevant excerpts of which are as follows:

Attention is invited to DOPT's guidelines on suo motu disclosure issued vide O.M. No.1/6/2011-IR dated 15.4.2013 whereby Public Authorities have an obligation to proactively disclose RTI applications and appeals received by them and their responses on their websites.

It may be noted that RTI applications and appeals received and their responses relating to the personal information of an individual may not be disclosed, if they do not serve any public interest.

http://ccis.nic.in/WriteReadData/CircularPortal/D2/D02rti/1_1_2013-IR-1-A.pdf

Kindly copy the above web address, paste it in the address bar of your browser and replace xxx with www to open the link (DoPT Circular).

1_1_2013-IR-1-A.pdf