Denial of information pio quoting sec 8 (1) j

theinescapeable

Question

theinescapeable

i had put up an RTI application to Municipal Corporation asking for my property Tax ID as the dues werent paid for last 5 years

The property is under my grandmother's name and she passed away recently

I reside at the same address and all my ID's have been issued having the same address

the PIO denied me the info quoting Sec 8 (1) J , While i required info just to pay the property tax due for past 5 years . It would be part of Government revenue in any case

The PIO in his reply asked me what my Property Tax ID was . ? ( asking me the question due to which i filed the RTI in first place)

please guide what to do . some draft would be of immense help

Kind Regards

1 answer to this question

Prasad GLN

I am not aware of the name of the corporation /Municipality.  The fact is that entire tax collection systems are computerised in each and every Municipal corporation, and unless the specific ID no. is provided, it is difficult to identify the property by House No...alone.  The ID here is TAX PAYERS SPECIFIC ID and I am not aware of those IDs you are referring, as they are not related to personal id.

Infact they have established Consumer help centers at each and every Municipal office and they may help you across the table to know the customer ID.

This is not personal information at any stretch of imagination, and PIO has applied that section without applying his mind.  May be they were lazy to search, as they can even search ID through name or can generate tax arrears name wise which consists ID No. also.

To me it appears that either getting old tax receipts (past) to know ID No or checking the demand notices or personally contacting the customer care center resolves the issue within minutes instead of RTI.

If you want to prolong and protract the issue you may file first appeal to FAA stating that information was denied without application of mind, though