disclosure of notings of cabinet decisions

ksathya57

Question

I had sought copy of the office notings recorded by the Union cabinet of the decision taken by them with regard to dilution of Government stake in IDBI below 50% and granting approval to LIC to acquire 51% of controlling stake in IDBI bank as promoter. The decision taken by the Union cabinet is hosted on the website of the Press Information Bureau of Union Cabinet.  Based on the approval given by the Union cabinet, IDBI bank has also advised the National Stock Exchange accordingly. Both the files are attached. CPIO has declined to furnish me the copy of the office notings stating as under: This is part of Cabinet papers. Cabinet papers including records of deliberations of the Council of Ministers, Secretaries and other officers are exempted from disclosure under Section 8(1)(i) of the RTI Act, 2005. However, the sponsoring Ministries/Departments are best placed to decide whether they can provide the desired information related to Cabinet papers after ensuring that the matter is complete or over under the first proviso to Section 8(1)(i). Accordingly, the application is transferred under Section 6(3) of the RTI Act, 2005 to the CPIO, Department of Financial Services for response as the information sought more closely relate to them and they are best placed to consider the request for information on Cabinet matters based on the position if the matter is complete or over under the first proviso to Section 8(1)(i). 

As the policy decision has been taken by the Union Cabinet and the Bank has also officially informed the Regulators NSE and BSE, I strongly feel that CPIO taking refuge under Section 8(1)(i) and 6(3) is untenable and tantamounts to denial of information. shall be thankful if I could be provided with guidance for filing first appeal together with details of Supreme court citations in the matter

IDBI to NSE.pdf

Press Information Bureau-1.8.2018.pdf

1 answer to this question

On 8/14/2018 at 8:12 AM, ksathya57 said:

I had sought copy of the office notings recorded by the Union cabinet of the decision taken by them with regard to dilution of Government stake in IDBI below 50% and granting approval to LIC to acquire 51% of controlling stake in IDBI bank as promoter. The decision taken by the Union cabinet is hosted on the website of the Press Information Bureau of Union Cabinet.  Based on the approval given by the Union cabinet, IDBI bank has also advised the National Stock Exchange accordingly. Both the files are attached. CPIO has declined to furnish me the copy of the office notings stating as under: This is part of Cabinet papers. Cabinet papers including records of deliberations of the Council of Ministers, Secretaries and other officers are exempted from disclosure under Section 8(1)(i) of the RTI Act, 2005. However, the sponsoring Ministries/Departments are best placed to decide whether they can provide the desired information related to Cabinet papers after ensuring that the matter is complete or over under the first proviso to Section 8(1)(i). Accordingly, the application is transferred under Section 6(3) of the RTI Act, 2005 to the CPIO, Department of Financial Services for response as the information sought more closely relate to them and they are best placed to consider the request for information on Cabinet matters based on the position if the matter is complete or over under the first proviso to Section 8(1)(i). 

As the policy decision has been taken by the Union Cabinet and the Bank has also officially informed the Regulators NSE and BSE, I strongly feel that CPIO taking refuge under Section 8(1)(i) and 6(3) is untenable and tantamounts to denial of information. shall be thankful if I could be provided with guidance for filing first appeal together with details of Supreme court citations in the matter

IDBI to NSE.pdf

Press Information Bureau-1.8.2018.pdf

http://www.humanrightsinitiative.org/blog/cic-to-cabinet-secretariat-disclose-agenda-of-cabinet-meetings-monitor-compliance-of-ministries-regarding-rule-10-monthly-reporting-and-advise-proactive-disclosure-of-such-reports

check this URL though not useful in  correct sense but read