Question

Shree Vathsan

I had filed 3 RTIs asking for DPR of Madurai Smart City projects. They have denied information saying it has Drawing, Elevation, Plan, Section, DPR, Estimate, Structural Drawing, Note File & Current File , Agreement, Bidder furnished bid document  and is more than 1000 pages and is voluminous information.

However I have specifically asked for information in electronic form like CD. 

They have also quoted a State Information Commission SA-11683/2016 dated 02.02.2017 order stating that information supplying which causes hurdles in day to day functioning of office is exempted.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using RTI INDIA mobile app

Edited by Shree Vathsan
added few info including SA appeal no.

4 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Go for First appeal.  The information can not be rejected simply because the information is voluminous in nature, as there was no such exemption stated for denying information in Sec.8 (1).  If the information is really voluminous, they have to state that and offer inspection, and giving opportunity of such noting down relevant information and obtaining specific information in certified copies or using mobile camera to obtain such copies direct, but they can not deny information.

Grounds for Appeal: SPIO can either provide information or deny information stating such exemption in Sec.8 (1) of RTI Act.  In several CIC decisions, it was clearly stated that information voluminous is not the reason for denial of information.  The appellant may be informed of such volumes and an opportunity of inspection should be given permitting for obtaining such copies needed.

As the denial is not in confirmity  with Sec. 8 (1) of RTI Act stipulated for denials, and as the information is for larger public interest and there can not be exemptions, this first appeal.

PRAYER: SPIO may be directed to provide such information as expeditiously as possible without any fees.

You can also mention the following HC decisions in your first appeal;

https://rtiindia.org/forums/topic/146257-cctv-maintenance-first-appeal/

Edited by Prasad GLN
Shree Vathsan

Prasad ji I had specifically stated in my RTIs to provide the information sought in electronic form (CD). However the PIO has asked me to visit office and to inspect and take copies.

Why dont they host the DPR in the Madurai Corporation website under voluntary disclosure when they use 1000 crores of public money for these projects?

Prasad GLN

As citizens, let us focus on Information alone.  If the information is available in electronic form, they must provide it and they can not state any excuses.  Go for first appeal as there is no option.

In the blog, Madras HC decision link was provided and it serves your first appeal purpose.

Edited by Prasad GLN