code88

Explanation to certain terms

Question

code88

I am new to RTI and I need some information on decoding some terms. On the CIC website I read the following.

What type of information may be obtained under the RTI Act?

The type of information which may be obtained is defined under section 2 (f) of the Act as any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, log books,   contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force.

What are log books, data material.

And what models can be sought for under RTI.

2 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

Learn RTI yourself , commence from DOPT and seek information as follows:

1.Please provide me certified copies of orders/circulars/notifications that state of log books, data material definition.

Any citizen can seek inform in the form of 1.Inspection of such records 2.Copies 3. Certified copies 4.In the form of information in the form of a letter.5.Electronic data ( compact disk)

It is great that you are evincing more interest on rejection of information from BSNL and going through CIC website.  Sure that you can become a perfect RTI Activist with few more attempts.

Sunil Ahya

The website of CIC has reproduced the definition of information as given under section 2(f) of the RTI Act (emphasis made bold and underlined):

The type of information which may be obtained is defined under section 2 (f) of the Act as any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, log books,   contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force.

I would like to draw your attention to the word emphasized by me in the definition of section 2(f) above, which is the word "including"

The use of word 'including' in a statutory definition, as per the well recognized principle of 'Interpretation of Statutes' means that the definition of section 2(f) is an inclusive and not an exhaustive one.

Exhaustive definition means that all the items are enumerated and none is left for imagination;

Whereas Inclusive definition, means that it gives a general description / a general idea of what is covered by that definition (i.e. kind of illustrative examples) and that the definition is not exhaustive, but there could be other such similar items which are also covered under that definition.

In short:

Exhaustive definition - Everything covered none left. (for example A, B & C)

Inclusive definition - Examples enumerated are covered and other such similar items which are not named therein are also covered (for example A, B, C and other such items)

And so section 2(f) of RTI Act has just given some examples of what is covered under the definition of information and that is not all but other such items are also covered, therefore, log books and data material are some such examples.

By the way, the words 'data material' has been used in the context of electronic form, which means 'electronic data'.

Hope that helps clarify the mystery surrounding the definition of section 2(f) to some extent!