code88

RTI divided

Question

code88

See, I had done an online RTI on the railways and it had 5 points. Now they divided the rti into three parts NRLKK/R/E/20/00011 was divided into NRLKK/R/E/20/00011 , NRLKK/R/E/20/00011/1 and NRLKK/R/E/20/00011/2 .

Now they have replied to NRLKK/R/E/20/00011 and it says I can come for inspection, by the way I had not asked for inspection. And the rest of the two rti has replied that the reply is in the reply of the first RTI. Now if I have to do an appeal , do I need to appeal under each RTI registration number or the single one?

2 answers to this question

Prasad GLN

As Railways is the largest public authority, they might have segregate the application CPIO wise, as the information solicited may be pertaining to several other individual and independent departments.  In case of such instance earlier, in one CIC decision on Postal authorities, it was ruled that it is applicant's duty.

Now the appellant can file First appeals on the basis of segregation.

RTI Act stipulates that information has to be given in the form in which it is requested.  First appeal can be filed on those grounds.

It all depends on the information solicited and the information solicited by applicant in some cases may be more than 1000 pages.

As stated for all your queries in earlier replies, there should be a logical end for the information you are requiring.

Sunil Ahya

You will need to file separate first appeals for each of the three RTIs.

Grounds of First Appeal:

1. That, I have not invoked section 2(j)(i) of the RTI Act, for seeking an inspection of information and I do not wish to seek an inspection before obtaining the requested information.

2. That, as per section 7(3)(a) of the RTI Act, a PIO is supposed to the details of further fees representing the cost of providing the information as determined by him, together with the calculations made to arrive at the amount in accordance with fee prescribed under sub-section (1), requesting him to deposit that fees, and the period intervening between the despatch of the said intimation and payment of fees shall be excluded for the purpose of calculating the period of thirty days referred to in that sub-section;

However, the PIO has not done so.

3. That, as per section 7(1) of the RTI Act, a PIO is either supposed to provide the requested information within 30 days or deny the same for any of the reasons specified in section 8 and 9 of the Act.

Thus, the PIO has disposed of my request for information in violation of section 7(1) read with 7(3)(a) of the RTI Act.