Lost PPF information, so send RTI directly to RBI ?

Avi

Question

My father-in-law (expired since 2010) had at best left a paper trail of investments done, but nothing concrete. In the past 1 year (since I am recently married in the family) I've managed to trace Shares, Bank Accounts & Insurance; but the only thing left is PPF in my Mother-in-law's name. But due to no paper trail here, except a mention to my wife (his daughter) about the same in 2007, I do not know where to check, Post Office / SBI / Some other bank.

So since I do not know which Organisation he made the investment in (let alone the branch), can I file a RTI directly with RBI since the money goes straight to them ?

1 answer to this question

Prasad GLN

You are mistaken, RBI is a controlling authority and the information with them will be Bank wise (Branch wise, Bank consolidation)

He must be an income tax assessee, as only for tax exemptions PPF is opened.  You can write to ITO and can get all the papers submitted before 2005, generally in front management the records are stored for six years and later it will be consigned to a back office or pooled for further destruction.   

Application dt.25th Sept,2020 seeking information under RTI Act

Before: Incometax Officer, Ward No.....,.......................

Fee: Postal order No....for Rs.10/- fvg:

Applicant:............................................

subject on which information is being solicited: Statements filed with ITR by deceased Shri........................PAN NO......................Address, (enclosed death certificate) by applicant daughter Smt.......................................(legal heir certificate enclosed)

Information solicited:

1.Please kindly provide the Bank name in which PPF was deposited by deceased with such account number or copy of such receipt or pass book and name of the auditor if any returns are filed through Auditor (Applicant is aware that submission of documents was dispensed with, and such old records prior to 2005 maybe available in back offices)

2.If the records were destructed, please inform such date of destruction.

Applicant.

Encl:Death certificate, legal heir certificate self attested copies.