Jump to content
  • 0

Ration Card information




Respected Members,

One person is having a marital dispute and his wife has applied for divorce and the case is pending before the Hon'ble Court.  Now the person is seeking ration card details of his parent-in-law's and other two tenants, while include their personal details such as Aadhaar Number, Mobile Number and Income Details, under the Right to Information Act, 2005.  The applicant is not establishing any involvement of the Public Interest and is more concerned with the income details only.  This Office has addressed all the third parties for their consent, which was denied by them.  Accordingly, his request under Right to Information Act, 2005 has been rejected by this Office.  Aggrieved by this, the applicant has preferred an appeal before the First Appellate Authority.  In this regard, it is requested to clarify, is it correct to provide the income details of the third party without their consent to the applicant with vested interests and not in public interest.

please guide

yours sincerely

Vikram kumar

Edited by vikrama07
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Prasad GLN

As per Delhi High court Judgment which is still not challenged "Information of income amounts to invasion on privacy of Individual" and as per the judgment, the husband has to seek such details only through process of court only.  Many such second appeals failed before Central Information Commission, and you can read all such decisions/judgments in the INCOME TAX DEPT. portal, RTI Segment.

There is no chance of getting such information by husband including the details of separated wife (though divorce is pending).  Contact your counsel in the case for other alternate remedy.

But Rationcard details linked to welfare schemes are not personal information, and must be uploaded.  For example if someone is having a below poverty line card where subsidized food grains are being availed, two remedies are available, first that states a Public record of income and stating that such Expenditure is not possible with such income, secondly making a complaint and getting card cancelled as it is a larger public interest and misuse of subsidy facility.  You can also obtain this information though it is a third party, as it is in larger public interest and an uploaded information.

Please remember that having a card without eligibility and disqualification is a good cause for establishing larger public interest and no exemptions are applicable, if only you can show them such evidence of their actual income.

Edited by Prasad GLN
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love RTI INDIA- Online RTI? Tell a friend!
  • Members

    No members to show

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use & Privacy Policy