Road tax in Tamil Nadu

Sriram R

Question

Sriram R

I bought and registered a car in May 2010 in Tamil Nadu. I paid lifetime tax at the time of registration. Then I shifted to Mathura ( UP) in July 2015 and registered my car with UP, again paying road tax. Now I am back to Tamil Nadu and will again need to register with Tamil Nadu. I have been told that I have to again pay a huge amount of Road tax when already it was registered initially with Tamil Nadu only and I had paid life time tax. What is the exact rule, should I again have to pay the tax?

8 answers to this question

Prasad GLN
Posted (edited)

It was learnt from media reports, that there was such a change in such law last week.  Wait for another one week and contact local RTO to get the latest rule.  This new scheme is said to be applicable to public sector employees alone, and opinions of stake holders were called for.

The road tax paid by you at the time of registering call might have been returned by TN, once you provide the UP Registration confirmation and their NOC with copy of  latest tax paid receipt/token.

There is inconvenience in the process but there is no loss as tax is being collected only for the period of usage only and the rest of the life tax is being refunded, after getting the second state registration.

Thus you might have received excess life tax over 5 years from TN, and now UP deducts tax for 6 years and refunds rest of the road tax once your vehicle gets TN Registration.  Contact local RTO for the procedure in claiming such refunds both at TN and UP.

Edited by Prasad GLN
Sriram R

Thanks for your swift reply. Much appreciated. Unfortunately I have not received any refund from of road tax paud in excess from TN RTO when I registered in UP. Also I don't remember keeping the bill receipt for tax paid either in TN or later in UP. Now here in TN, I have been informed by brokers that I need to pay tax in excess of 1 lakh whereas I don't think my car has even that much resale value since it's 11 years since I purchased it. They are saying that just keep driving with UP state registration number plate and pay any fine when demanded. Is it the right approach?

Prasad GLN

First file RTI Application to District RTO, UP (In which you got your vehicle registered)  seeking certified copies of Tax paid receipts, copy of C Book/Registration certificate issued by them for your vehicle at UP (Transferred from TN).  You can search website of UP State Information commission for the format and Rs.10/- as RTI fee can be paid through postal order.

At the same time file RTI to RTO of the District in TN (which you have registered your vehicle during purchase) and can seek information.

Brief facts: ...............make vehicle with Reg No.........................registered at your office.   Later owner shifted to UP and paid Road taxes there.  Procedure for claiming life tax paid from TN, after registering it in UP.

Information solicited:

1.Please provide me copy of  the laid down procedure for claiming refund of Road Tax from TN for vehicle, after shifting to another state and payment of fresh taxes in other state. (Showing various documents to be enclosed and the format of refund for such refund to TN RTO)

Sriram R

Thanks Sir. Is there anyone in Kumbakonam/ Thanjavur or Chennai (whenever I go there) who can help me out in doing the things that you suggested for a professional fees? Alternatively if someone can help me out through online process. I am ready to pay the professional fees for the services rendered.

I have the Registration certificate issued by UP RTO (UP-85) wherein the tax paid is mentioned as well as the Registration number of the car when I first bought it in TN (TN-10). 

Prasad GLN

There are many such RTO consultants, but the forum is dedicated to guide members, and then train them to help others.  Please take some trouble as it costs Rs.32 for simple attempt.  (Rs.10/- fee + Rs.22 regd post).  Once you make attempt, you can receive further guidance through consumer act/citizen charter.  First address application to RTO that registered your vehicle for first time.

Sriram R

Ok Sir. Will surely do. You were a great help.

Regards

Sriram R

Prasad GLN

One should always thank the forum.   There were several posts available in the forum on similar issues.  If you have time, spend some time and read. 

1)Your first RTI Application must be to RTO, TN that registered your vehicle for the first time. 

2)Then depending on their response (laid down procedure) seek certified copies from RTO, UP and also their procedure for refund for transfer from UP to TN.

Search RTO websites for format of applications and send the applications by Regd post and track delivery status in India post, and download screen print.   Wait for 35 days for their response and come back if there is no response for further guidance on First and second appeals.